Update on Layla

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Layla's Mom

Update on Layla

Post by Layla's Mom »

On Wednesday we got a call from the vet who confirmed what we THOUGHT we noticed (but didn't want to have false hope) - Layla seemed able to hold her own weight on her back legs for a split second for the first time since she had surgery. She had no deep pain sensation, but seemed to acknowledge when her back legs were being stretched and massaged! The vet said she was VERY happy with where Layla is at right now. I was so happy I got teary!

Yesterday after doing ROM with her, I stood her up and she held it for a couple of seconds before her right leg collapsed under her. That was much longer than the day before! Last night she was still doing it but holding it for a little longer. My boyfriend leaned her right side right against her crate and she was able to stand up for around 5 seconds before her left leg went down. Her left is much stronger than her right.

Her feet and legs seem much more sensitive to touch now too. It's still just reflexes and no brain acknowledgement from the touches, but even a regular touch will get her foot to immediately pull back or kick out, where before we had to squeeze for a reaction.

I am ecstatic over this progress!
jazzybaby

Re: Update on Layla

Post by jazzybaby »

I am so happy for you and Layla, that is such good news. It sounds like she is really coming along.

Stacy & Jasmine
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

This is great news. I can't wait to hear how she progresses in the coming weeks!

Joanne and Carl
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
Layla's Mom

Post by Layla's Mom »

Layla's rehabilitation therapist came back from holidays so she started seeing her again on Friday. She was a bit more grim about her progress. She did say that yes, there was progress, but it was only reflex. Even standing was only a reflex. There is no indication she has any idea what's happening yet. That was tough to hear after her surgeon was so hopeful and positive about everything.
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Even if you are seeing only reflexes, that Layla is making progress is still great news. You will hear stories from folks here whose dogs have regained deep pain months after their injury.

When I adopted Carl he couldn't stand at all, just a dead weight in the hindlimbs. I have been doing rehab with him to strengthen the muscles in his hindlimbs. He gradually was able to swing his legs under him and support his weight for up to a minute, and while on a trial drug you could see actual weightbearing. Yes, this may all be reflexive but it makes a HUGE difference for me in terms of my quality of life (getting him into his cart without killing my back, able to wash him thoroughly etc).

Realistically Carl will never regain pain sensation or voluntary motor function, his injury is so severe, but I am still taking him to rehab and can be found in the UWTM, moving his legs, hoping that I can encourage spinal walking, at least knowing that he'll be tired out after his session and I'll have a couple of hours peace and quiet!

As Jimmy V said " don't give up, don't ever give up".

Joanne
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
Layla's Mom

Post by Layla's Mom »

Thank you for helping me feel a little more positive. I feel like she is progressing quite quickly right now. Last weekend she could do nothing. Her legs would stiffen reflexively but would go limp as soon as we put weight on them. By Wednesday she could almost hold herself up for a split second. On Friday she could hold herself up for a full second. Today, her therapist called and said she was holding her own weight for about 5 seconds. She still has no deep pain sensation, but I'm still praying for it. My biggest concern is just that I wish she had bladder and bowel control back. We had just moved out of the city but commute to work IN the city every day. For now, I am allowed to bring her to work, but I can't do that forever. I know she won't get that control back though unless she gets her legs back. And she won't get her legs back until she gets deep pain back.
jazzybaby

Post by jazzybaby »

It sounds like Layla is doing very well, and the fact she is already show improvements is a good sign. I know with Jasmine we would have weeks were she would have a lot of improvements and then there were other weeks where we would little to no improvement. Once she started doing her laser treatments at 6 weeks after surgery was when we saw the most improvement. And then once we started taking her swimming and to use the underwater treadmill she would do new things or do things stronger or longer than before her PT session. And once her therapist gave us a elec stim machine to use at home we started see big improvements. We got her a peanut ball that we still use everynight were she lays over the top of it and my husband hold her back legs in place and I roll her backwards. We were told that it helps build up her back legs again. I would talk to her therapist and see if there are things you could do at home with her. And I know how you feel with the bladder control that has been the worst part for me, because I to work a long way from home I have an hour and half drive to and from work each day and they do not let me bring her to work with me. I am lucky my husband is in school and is able to work his schedule around so he can express her. But her vet told us that she may never be able to express her own bladder even though she can walk, she told us it is because different nervs control different things and we were told most likly that the nervs that control her bladder were more damaged than the ones that control walking. If I were you I would see if maybe you could get a pet sitter that could come by and express her when you can't. As far as the deep pain response I think people have different opinions of it, because Jasmine one vet said she had it back 3 months after surgery but the vet that did the surgery said she still did not have it back at 5 months after surgery were her therapist said she has is back and another vet she has seen at rehab has also said she has it back it is not as strong as it was before this happened so I don't know what to think, for me I look at as I think she has it back and her regular and her therapist said she has it back so that is enough for me. Jasmine therapist told me that she has had dogs regain deep pain 6 months after surgery but never walk again so I think each dog is different.
Layla's Mom

Post by Layla's Mom »

I asked Layla's physical therapist about laser light therapy yesterday, and she is going to discuss it with Layla's surgeons to see if they will let her try. I have gotten a lot of reviews about it and everyone has said it helps, so hopefully we can try!

As of yesterday, Layla is able to hold her own weight for up to 20 seconds! It's reflexive standing still, and she has no sensation back, but it's something. Her therapist said it's just amazing that she has progressed this quickly in a week.
connie

Post by connie »

great news. have you tried hyrotherapy? i put cricket in tub 3 times a week and worked his legs. it seemed to help him move legs better. never give up, it took cricket 5 months to stand on his legs, 10 months he was running ( spinally) all over house. even after 4 yrs i still he improvement in him daily. our pets can amaze us. sounds like yours is a fighter like mine. your both in my prayers.
hugs, connie and cricket
Layla's Mom

Post by Layla's Mom »

Connie, we had done some hydro therapy with Layla but at the advice of people on Dodgers List I have cut back on that for now because they say crate rest is really important right now. I still do ROM and assisted standing with her, as well as lightly bouncing her back legs on an exercise ball for resistance during assisted standing. I am worried she may still have some swelling and continuous activity might keep aggravating it. She is doing some hydrotherapy at her rehab sessions, and she just started on the underwater treadmill on Wednesday.

I've read that it's a good sign to see twitching of the legs during sleep. Yesterday morning she was in her crate behind me at work and I swear I could see her fur moving as if muscles were twitching rhythmically in her legs and tail area. She was asleep on her stomach, with her legs under her so I couldn't see other movement besides the fur moving. I checked for deep pain though and she still has none, and still no sensation down her back :(
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Just finished reading your other post about how to handle people and very happy to hear they will soon all be eating their words of negativity.

Hang in there and tell the naysayers to self-fornicate. Sorry about that, but they do not deserve a more graceful response. Don't ever let anyone get you down and your love and patience will conquer all!

Keep up the good work and I will follow your updates. :trophy:

Leah
Sasha's mom!
Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do.
http://eagles-sparrow.com
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sasha's Mom wrote:
Hang in there and tell the naysayers to self-fornicate. Sorry about that, but they do not deserve a more graceful response. Don't ever let anyone get you down and your love and patience will conquer all!
:hysterical: How nicely put!!! :mrgreen: :smart: