Sasha's Mom - new member

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Sasha's Mom

Sasha's Mom - new member

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Hello everyone.

My name is Leah and Sasha is my male Persian mix that I have had the honour of caring for since mid-December 2009.

Sasha was thrown out on the street by his previous owners, when the wife of the couple became pregnant. It would be good to mention I am currently residing in Bulgaria, where old wive's tales are sometimes taken as gospel truth. Someone told the couple about the "possible" dangers of a cat's feces harming a fetus, and instead of taking the necessary precautions to avoid harm, the couple simply threw this gorgeous animal out on the street sometime in November 2009.

Fast forward to December 12, 2009:

Sasha's previous owners "refound" their cat on the street in such a horrendous condition that they felt a pang of remorse and took the poor animal to the local vet. When the vet said the cat needed x-rays and were told it would cost 15 leva (less than $10), they said they could not afford it. Another fellow who runs a local kennel offered to pay for the x-ray and the couple agreed. When the vet and kennel owner went into the back room to perform the x-ray, the couple left, abandoning the cat at the vet's. The kennel owner decided to take him in and clean him up. He is a pure white cat that was covered from head to tail tip in feces and fleas. His eyes were glued shut from infection and bloodied here and there from bites. When the kennel owner told me about the cat, I became interested and met him at the vet's with the cat a couple days later. It was love at first sight.

Sasha was in such horrible shape, I don't know where to begin, so let's skip to the big stuff. We don't know why or how his hind legs became paralyzed, but from the hips down, there is paralysis. When I first brought Sasha home, the hind legs were nothing more than fur and bone and he was, of course, incontinent. His initial blood work indicated renal failure, but through excellent nutrition and care, that is no longer a danger. He was infested with fleas, suffered numerous bites and had one broken-off-at-the-root canine tooth, which I finally had extracted this past week. (He was took weak to go under anesthesia and then it was too cold. Vets send animals home immediately after surgery - no facilities for overnight care.)

Sometime in January, rather than being incontinent, he stopped urinating on his own completely. We had a very close call when the cage filled with bloody urine one very cold and snowy afternoon. The vet immediately catheterized Sasha and relieved him of 550 ml (that's 18 oz.) of urine. Another few hours and Sasha would not be with me today. Since that time, after being catheterized, getting infections from the tube, endless disagreements with the vet (got rid of him - he was an arrogant "know-it-all" whose prime income comes from farm animal insemination), I have had to express the bladder manually twice a day. Sasha handles extremely well and daily injections of Nivalin, vitamin pills, etc..., are administered with relative ease. He responds to voice commands for the daily routine and even turns over for his diaper when he knows the "milking" is over. He can move his bowels on his own, but he is usually gracious enough to wait until I am expressing the bladder and sometimes I help him along.

The veterinarians here do not have the same facilities as stateside and I am basically on my own in trying to do what is best for Sasha. I am almost 100% certain there is some degree of neurological damage, but there are no MRIs or CTs for domestic animals here.

In the past five months, he has gained 7 pounds, his legs have filled out again and legs and tail react to some stimuli. He can move his hind legs to a degree, but still drags like a paralyzed animal. I do PT and massage the legs twice a day for about 20 minutes a session and have tried "re-training" him to walk, but to no avail.

That brings me to my first question (finally):
Other than a wheeled cart (I know for fact cats do not acclimate to carts like dogs) are there any specific exercises I can do with him to get him up on his hind legs again?

Going to cut here as this post is already too long and have not mentioned half the problems, but this will give you a general idea of the situation. Main thing is to see what can be done to get Sasha up and moving around again.

:thankyou:
Leah
Sasha's Mom
Attachments
Sasha a couple weeks ago.
Sasha a couple weeks ago.
Kennel owner holding Sasha before clean-up
Kennel owner holding Sasha before clean-up
How Sasha was abandoned at the vet's
How Sasha was abandoned at the vet's
Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do.
http://eagles-sparrow.com
critters
Founding Member

Re: Sasha's Mom - new member

Post by critters »

:slant: Poor little boy!! He definitely has a spinal cord injury; maybe he was hit by a car or something else while he was out. I'd do what I could to make him intake fluids--flavor water, use subcutaneous fluids, or whatever. That will help prevent UTIs as well as the blocking it sounds like he had before. You might also consider meds for his bladder. Phenoxybenzamine (PBZ) seems to be especially good for a spastic (tight) bladder, and bethanechol (sp?) is good for a loose one.

You're SO right about cats preferring to do their own thing. :D
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Hello Critters and thank you! :wub:

I tend to agree with you about the spinal cord injury. He's not a savvy street cat and when I take him out on the balcony to have a look around, he is terrified by the sound of racing cars. My other cat, Robbie, a feral I took in at 2 or 3 weeks is a complete rascal and incorrigible child at 11 months, and looks at cars like a dog - as something to chase. "Fear" is not a word in his vocabulary! He's a sweetie who loves to be held and cuddled, but is a "play-biter" and the saddest part of the whole situation is I have to keep the two separated. If Sasha had use of his hind legs, he could defend himself, but Robbie jumps on him and sinks the teeth in and that I won't tolerate. Sasha is twice Robbie's size and can scoot around as fast as Robbie can run, but basically defenseless in rough play.

The original vet insisted the paralysis was from malnutrition and laying on the cold ground, and refused to take further x-rays. I put up with him for 3 months and finally told him off after speaking with my vet in New York for over two hours describing the symptoms. Normally, if the paralysis is a temporary injury, from what I've read and been told, a cat should recuperate in less than a month. He also has a sensitive spot in the hip area that he will not tolerate being touched and favors one side over the other. He's a mush of a cat and I'd do anything to see him walk.

I am very lucky that he drinks sufficient amounts of water and his urine output is clear, usually a steady stream and he is very compliant during the two to three times a day ordeal. I did have to do sub-q's a the first couple of months, but thank God, he now stays well hydrated. He's also an extremely picky eater and only eats dry Royal Canin, whether it's renal care urinary or hairball, as long as it's Royal Canin, he'll eat it and homemade chicken soup... :roll:

Thank you for the info on Phenoxybenzamine (PBZ). I will certainly ask my vet if it's available here and if not will find it. There are days he is very difficult to express and that could be a big help. The bladder incident occurred when he transitioned from being incontinent to not being able to urinate at all. I was taking him to the vet every day for almost 3 weeks and during the very cold weather and heavy snows we had, the vet came here. It was a relief for me (and Sasha) when I finally learned how to express him myself.

I've been reading the links here and there is so much new information, it will take a while to digest it all.

Thank you again. I appreciate the response.

Leah
Christine

Post by Christine »

:welcomeheart: Bless you for taking this beautiful little girl in. The before clean up pictures just break my heart! Please definitely stick around. We have some true cat experts here with hearts of gold. You met one of them in Critters. Sasha, Bendy's mom is another and that's just two of them. We are glad you are here!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Christine wrote: :welcomeheart: Bless you for taking this beautiful little girl in. The before clean up pictures just break my heart! Please definitely stick around. We have some true cat experts here with hearts of gold. You met one of them in Critters. Sasha, Bendy's mom is another and that's just two of them. We are glad you are here!
Thank you for the warm welcome, Christine. As I wrote above, it was love at first sight when I met Sasha (formerly called "Didi").

Very glad I found this forum - the information here is very good. Watched a few of the linked videos in addition to reading articles and extremely relieved to find I have been doing almost precisely what needs to be done, just from instinct. Glad to be here. :)

Ah, there is another Sasha on board (Bendy's mom)? My Sasha (Bulgarian nickname for Alexander) is an beautiful intact male! :mrgreen:
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Either it is too early in the morning for me or I am losing my mind! I was in the middle of replying to a post by Carol and when I went to submit my response, I received a "message does not exist" notice! :|

Anyway, yes, Carol (wherever your post went!), I will certainly take your advice and have further x-rays of the hip area done.

When I first took Sasha in, the hind legs were atrophied, ice cold, pads completely dried out and the muscle was paper thin. He was nothing but fur and bones. His legs filled out beautifully and he does have movement in all joints. Usually these are spastic movements (i.e.: kicking when expressing), but that means the nerves are still connected. He has even started moving his tail at the base, to a degree. He shows good resistance when I manipulate his legs and the toes respond to being tickled (jerks leg back) and massaged (spreads his toes). I gently pull both legs at the same time when he is in the kennel, and he responds with a good cat stretch. The biggest concern is he is afraid to rest his legs on his ankles (as when walking) and has the "cross-over" reaction (legs cross each other) when I raise and support him on his haunches. He has sat on his hind quarters for about ten seconds (with help), but then collapses. When expressing him, I have a 3 cornered box that I put him in for stability and when I say, "Upsie-dasiy!", he gets into position for expressing. He's incredibly easy to work with and responds to commands almost immediately. Will have to take photos and post to show the procedure I came up with - much easier than what I've seen in some other photos here. Easier for the caretaker as well.

I am still wondering what happened to your post, and responding to what I can recall. It was quite informative and thank you very much.

Leah
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Leah,

I'm sorry, after I wrote it I thought maybe it did not apply to your situation. Here is an earlier draft, I don't think I have time to fix it exactly like it was, it is 1:30 in the morning and I have to work tomorrow. I am sorry for any trouble caused by deleting the post, I didn't realize you were responding. :blush: The main message (which I could have said in a lot fewer words) is that the hip bone fits in the hip socket, and when you are x-raying the hip, it is hard to see the hip bone because it is inside the socket which is also bone. It is hard to see bone through bone. That was all I meant! :D Sorry again for the confusion, I'm going to bed! :snooze:
Hi Leah,

This may not be the case with your cat, but my suggestion is to have a couple more carefully done x-rays of the hips. Here is why. I saw a partially paralyzed chihuahua on the Internet and adopted her. She had been fostered by 3 people and treated by at least 2 vets. She'd had a hind leg amputated and spay surgery. Her injuries occured when she was 2 months old and I adopted her at 7 months old. I began to notice she seemed to kind of yip with pain at times when she was playing, but I couldn't tell exactly what was going on, so after having her a couple of weeks I took her to my vet to have several things checked. He did x-rays of her hip (she only had one hip left) and found that she had a broken hip, and she had had it all that time. But she had so many other issues going on, between losing the other leg and needing to be spayed and needing bladder care, and having 3 fosters, that they had not caught it. He said he did not fault the previous vets for not catching it. The way it was broken, you would have to have the dog lying on the x-ray table in just a certain way to see it on film. You could do many x-rays at a slightly different angle and miss it. So it was grace that he found it that day.

It would be no wonder if you cat does not want the teenaged cat pouncing on him if he may still have an injured hip. The thing that makes me think this is more likely is, you said he has regained some flesh on his hind legs and can move them a little. I would expect the hind legs to remain atrophied (even with weight gain) if the nerves are not firing, but it does not sound like that is the case. He has some nerve function in the hind legs. And you say he has a sore spot on his hip. (By the way, can he bend at the knees at all?)

Even if everything I just said (above) does not apply to your cat at all, nerves do heal, but they do it very slowly. My other dog (another paralyzed chihuahua) first took 4 steps outside at about 9 months post-injury. She had a really bad spinal fracture and was completely paralyzed, but the nerves had been improving by tiny increments all those months, even though she looked much the same. So if you can continue to give the amazing nursing care you've managed so far, and give him time, he may recover some more function. But I would have him taken for additional x-rays of the hips and pelvis if there is any possiblity something was missed. You know, a lot of cats heal from broken hips or a broken pelvis on their own with rest, but my dog's hip was broken in such a way that a bone fragment was grinding in the socket and causing her pain if she moved wrong. The surgeon found the fragment when he operated on the hip.

If you are quite sure the hips are OK, then you could consider doing some resistance exercise with him, where he lies on the bed and you press on the bottoms of his feet and he pushes back. He is beautiful beyond words.

:angel:
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Carol,

Thanks so much for reposting. Even if it does not apply completely, you verified some of my feelings (and actions) and the post is certainly beneficial, as you will read in my response when you have time. Gleaning information becomes a specialty in cases like this, as you well know, and nothing is ever irrelevant or too much to consider. :)

Sleep tight!
Leah
Christine

Post by Christine »

Tell Sasha I am sorry for calling him a beautiful girl! You fit right in here...we don't sleep much around here :mrgreen:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Sasha said, "Not a problem!" :wub:

He reminds me of a female Turkish Van I once rescued, and it took me quite some time to call him "he" instead of "she". His original name, "Didi", is the name of my best female friend and Sasha, with the "a" on the end, also denotes female gender, but he's all boy, believe me.

Sleep? Isn't that something cats do amazingly well? Yup, I'm a proponent of late to bed, early to rise! Sleep is such a wasteful activity! :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sasha's Mom wrote:Hello Critters and thank you! :wub:

I tend to agree with you about the spinal cord injury. He's not a savvy street cat and when I take him out on the balcony to have a look around, he is terrified by the sound of racing cars. My other cat, Robbie, a feral I took in at 2 or 3 weeks is a complete rascal and incorrigible child at 11 months, and looks at cars like a dog - as something to chase. "Fear" is not a word in his vocabulary! He's a sweetie who loves to be held and cuddled, but is a "play-biter" and the saddest part of the whole situation is I have to keep the two separated. If Sasha had use of his hind legs, he could defend himself, but Robbie jumps on him and sinks the teeth in and that I won't tolerate. Sasha is twice Robbie's size and can scoot around as fast as Robbie can run, but basically defenseless in rough play. Pardon me, but baby Robbie needs the snot smacked out of him, and my Cheddar, about the same age as Robbie, needs the same thing. :twisted: Cheddar came out of the storm sewer last Fall as an emaciated little fartling of about 4 weeks old, and his mouth and claw manners stink to this day. Persians are typically pretty laid back; I wish my Koi were as cooperative as Sasha!!

The original vet insisted the paralysis was from malnutrition and laying on the cold ground, and refused to take further x-rays. I put up with him for 3 months and finally told him off after speaking with my vet in New York for over two hours describing the symptoms.Good move. Normally, if the paralysis is a temporary injury, from what I've read and been told, a cat should recuperate in less than a month. Not true. My Buddy was hit by a car and was picked up by the family riding behind, so his exact moment of injury, and source of injury, was known. He came to me a month later, completely paralyzed and completely expressed. Eventually he became 100% continent and 100% walker, although I can't remember the exact time frame. He also has a sensitive spot in the hip area that he will not tolerate being touched This may be due to nerve damage. You may want to consider a trial of Neurontin/gabapentin for it. Buddy had some sort of nerve pain in his back and hips that would make him bite them, and gabapentin was the answer. In fact, we had to go back to it after 1 try at discontinuing it. and favors one side over the other.That's typical of SCI (spinal cord injury). My Koi's bad side is his left. He's a mush of a cat and I'd do anything to see him walk.

I am very lucky that he drinks sufficient amounts of water and his urine output is clear, usually a steady stream and he is very compliant during the two to three times a day ordeal. I did have to do sub-q's a the first couple of months, but thank God, he now stays well hydrated. He's also an extremely picky eater and only eats dry Royal Canin, whether it's renal care urinary or hairball, as long as it's Royal Canin, he'll eat it and homemade chicken soup... :roll:

Thank you for the info on Phenoxybenzamine (PBZ). I will certainly ask my vet if it's available here and if not will find it. There are days he is very difficult to express and that could be a big help. The bladder incident occurred when he transitioned from being incontinent to not being able to urinate at all. I was taking him to the vet every day for almost 3 weeks and during the very cold weather and heavy snows we had, the vet came here. It was a relief for me (and Sasha) when I finally learned how to express him myself.

I've been reading the links here and there is so much new information, it will take a while to digest it all.

Thank you again. I appreciate the response.

Leah
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Critters, I get so angry with Robbie at times, he does get bounced around, but as I posted in the "Other" forum, he loves rough-housing. He thinks I'm playing with him. He's a tough guy. Maybe I should get him a black leather jacket and sunglasses! I found Robbie in our driveway - another little sewer-rat fartling!

The worst part of this whole thing is being in Bulgaria - the vets here just do not have the facilities like in the states. I asked for a contrast x-ray and the vets never heard of it. They laughed when I asked for an MRI or CT. Medications are sold over-the-counter, but they don't carry the same meds here as in the states. I just realized I've been giving Sasha a daily pill since I've had him that I thought were vitamins and it turned out they were to keep the liver healthy. Not a bad thing, but the original vet told me they were vitamins. They don't always tell the truth and yes, dumping the first vet was the healthiest decision I made for Sasha. You have no idea how that SOB lied to me. I almost lost him several times because of him. Grrrrrr!! They don't cater to house pets - farm animals and horses are the big vet thing here.

Everything is guess work. I just keeping doing the PT and research, research, research. This is the first forum I've found that has good information. Posted on one before and got such asinine responses, I gave up. Will have to look up the meds you mention online and see what the European equivalents are. Thank you again and again!!

:trophy: Leah
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I kinda stopped blank when i saw the title on this thread...

There are many cats out there named Sasha, including one living in Texas named after my mom who rehabbed her from a terror to a sweet cat. her name had been Sassy but the new parents renamed her after my mom. humans are wierd.

I wish there was a way to get in touch with Debbie-Spain, she might have a better idea how to find things in your area, probably better than us in the states do.

physical therapy is wonderful for helping the brain remap how to move limbs & use nerves. range of motion exercises are good - move his legs as though he was running, jumping, walking, stretching.
if he will tolerate it, water therapy - getting him to walk in teh water, the water will help support him, would probably be good too.
we had a little brain damaged kitten with a weak hind end that we did "kitten ups" with. we let just a little weight be on his hind legs and lowered & raised him, slowly increasing teh amount of weight he was supporting on his hind legs over time.

Nerves regenerate slowly, it can take months or even over a year to regain function. Our brain damaged girl Mimosa showed slow improvements in her coordination over the course of several years. it is great he is showing responses in his tail and toes!

I'm glad that your kennel friend helped out with Sasha and you took him in!

i'm sure shrimpies would help too, they help everything, don't they? kind of like chocolate does for humans?

Bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Hi Bendy,

Yes, I've noticed Sasha seems to be a popular name for kitties around the globe. Ironic that you should mention Debbie from Spain. There was a woman in Spain who supposedly was going to help the kennel owner with Sasha's vet bills, etc..., but nothing ever came of it. Would be funny if it turned out to be the same woman. The kennel owner and I parted ways over disagreeing about the original vet - nasty affair - he thought the vet was an animal god and and I saw him as a g-#### animal with an ego that wouldn't fit through my front door.

Anyway, it's very encouraging to read your post and others that state nerves recover slowly. That certainly gives me confidence Sasha will eventually walk again.

Wish I could do water therapy with Sash. My apartment has everything except a bathtub - Bulgaria is "shower stall country". Tried convincing the owner to fit a bathtub while it was being built (I miss those long soaks!!), but that's one thing he wouldn't accept. The sink is not large enough. Maybe with the nice weather rolling in, I can get a large container of sorts, put it on the balcony and fill it with water. I am certain that would be helpful because Sash hates water and if anything will get him to kick, that certainly will. :smart:

So, I will continue with ROM exercises and massaging and hope for the best.

I am giving him daily injections of Nivalin http://www.nivalin.com/ (please read the link - very interesting stuff), a Bulgarian drug that even a vet I know in India said was just the thing Sasha needed. It's very inexpensive (under 3.50 USD for a one week supply at 1.5 mg dosage a day) and developed in Bulgaria. When I pick up the ampules at the pharmacy, nine times out out ten, someone else is buying it too. Very popular "wonder drug" for humans and animals. Because I am using it long-term, I dose for four weeks and then stop for one week before resuming the cycle. Adding the following as a precaution: Nivalin is very well tolerated and despite that fact should not be prescribed in conditions of bronchial asthma, bradycardia, angina pectoris, heart failure, epilepsy, hyperkinetic dyskinesia.

As for shrimpies - Sasha has to be the pickiest eater I've run across - DRY Royal Canin is the ONLY thing he'll eat (won't touch any moist or canned foods), and as mentioned above, my home-made chicken soup - no living creature on earth can resist that! :D He won't eat any fish or meats (fresh, not cat food) and even turns his nose up to milk and yogurt. He ate cheese for a while, but that was when I first got him and he would have likely eaten paper at that point from being so malnourished. He's not a cat that responds to food treats, but he loves being brushed, combed and generally fussed over. A good combing is his treat after ever expressing.
carolinadancer

Post by carolinadancer »

Hi all. I have a maine coon, app. five to six years old, that has suddenly developed rear-end paralysis, and I'm worried that it's some sort of infection. He's running a low fever, eats like crazy but doesn't want water, and isn't currently pooping (it's been about 24 hours since we found him). When he was found he was covered in fleas so badly he needed three flea baths and 2 hours of picking dead carcasses off of him. We suspect anemia and are feeding nutrical and fresh boiled chicken liver. Bendy's Mom has given me some good advice, but if anyone else has any I'd like to hear it! I lost my job a couple of weeks ago and my husband lost his in February, so at this point I'm faced with losing my rescue completely, and I have absolutely no money to take him to the vet for xrays, etc. He's a sweet black-and-white guy with a beautiful face. I can tell that at his fighting weight he's a big guy because his paws are HUGE!

I can't check in very often because my computer is on the fritz and no money for repairs, but I will as I can. Thanks everyone for any advice you have, and expecially Bendy's Mom for her responses to my frantic texts! ")

Denise Painter
Dot's Place Animal Haven
Easley, Sc