Another procedure for expressing a cat.

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Sasha's Mom

Another procedure for expressing a cat.

Post by Sasha's Mom »

I was looking at some of the photos posted elsewhere here on ways to express cats and dogs and would like to add my set-up, as it seems a little less complicated and easier on both the animal and caregiver.

Of course, this will not work for a large dog, but for a cat, it retains him in a small area, keeps him in a normal elimination position and easy on the care-giver's back. Also, as most of you know who do this several times a day, you have to take breaks to do full elimination and Sasha rests in the box during the 5 to 10 minute breaks. I have a waterproof baby crib pad on the bottom and a sponge in the right hand corner to absorb any drips during break time.

I think the photos are pretty self-explanatory. I use World's Best cat litter (have to import it from the UK) as it is all natural (made from corn), safer than clay based litters and flushes without clumping and clogging the toilet.

I use little Styrofoam trays from the supermarket as the "litter box" with a napkin in the bottom to prevent the litter from sticking and easier to come clean for disposal.

Hope this is of use to some of you. :)

Happy milking!
Leah
Attachments
Initial set-up.
Initial set-up.
Set-up with kitty in place.
Set-up with kitty in place.
Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do.
http://eagles-sparrow.com
critters
Founding Member

Re: Another procedure for expressing a cat.

Post by critters »

LOVE how you did the pics!!! :smart: How handsome he is, and what a GOOD boy!!!!! :wub:

Are you expressing him in pic 8, or helping him to assume the position?
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Thanks, Critters! Sasha is blushing and sending his thanks as well!! :wub:
He knows I am helping and is so well-behaved and compliant, it brings tears to my eyes at times. He is a bit camera shy though. :)

Pic 8 is "assuming the position" and how I hold him, while 9 is how I express him. I do 8 & 9 at the same time. Had to hold the camera with one hand, so couldn't get it all into one shot! :mrgreen:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

NIFTY expressing idea! None of my SCI boys have been nice enough to go along with a plan like that; I invented a technique of scruffing ill-mannered furs, putting them on their backs on a pad of towels, and expressing them like that. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Carol, have you copied this idea to the expressing Wiki page? My 'nection is too iffy to try to do it. :roll:
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Thanks, Critters!
What I like is that it stabilizes and limits the cat. Instead of his hind legs slipping out from under him, it keeps them firm against the side of the box in a natural position and prevents him from scooting off. Of course he jumps down from the counter-top every now and then, but usually stays put. You can also use the bottom of a cat carrier rather than a box. I found the cardboard more comfortable for both of us.
I have a tray with all Sasha's paraphernalia (meds, combs, tissues, wipes, etc...) that fits into the box for storage under the counter-top where I work on him, and the sink is immediately to the right of the box.
I also play classical music for him a few minutes before I start and during the whole routine. This way he knows to get the bladder ready!! Pavlovian conditioning, Leah style! :D
I guess we all develop our own systems and what works best for us.
:angel:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

critters wrote:NIFTY expressing idea! None of my SCI boys have been nice enough to go along with a plan like that; I invented a technique of scruffing ill-mannered furs, putting them on their backs on a pad of towels, and expressing them like that. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Carol, have you copied this idea to the expressing Wiki page? My 'nection is too iffy to try to do it. :roll:
Will do! Beautiful! :trophy: