Best support for quick potty breaks?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
AMM

Best support for quick potty breaks?

Post by AMM »

Hi,
What do you all use to take your paraplegic dog out for quick potty breaks? I've been carrying her or using a towel, but she’s scooted half way across the room before I can get the towel on her. I’ve read the bottoms up leash doesn’t work as well for dogs with total paralysis (our current situation). I have to express her bladder so it can’t get in the way of that. She’s only 30lbs but it’s doing a number on my back to keep carrying her :( . Any advice would be appreciated.

:thankyou:
Angie
Joan

Re: Best support for quick potty breaks?

Post by Joan »

for a real quick outing a towel roll is probably the easiest, but you will need a harness/lead on her to be able to stay with her and keep up.
If you are looking at long term help, doggon carts (and probably others as well) sell the saddles from the carts separately, and they come with long straps to save your back. And they can pee or be expressed while in them.
Joan
AMM

Post by AMM »

Thanks for the info Joan!
The doggone saddles looks like it would do the trick.
Angie
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I find it is easier when they can walk to let them- it is worth putting your dog in the cart for a trip outside, just for saving your back. Now that Merlin can't do the ramps in his cart I do a LOT more carrying and it is much harder that way. But even now I put him in his cart once we are outside so I'm not supporting him while he goes.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi
I recently bought a purpose made rear harness, but a hassle to put on as Duchess always needs to go "right now". For me a long scarf works well much the same as a towel. She has difficulty standing, so put her on the floor (she sits on my chair) she sits, I loop the scarf underneath her and off she trots, with me in tow. Very easy and very quick.

Sharon x
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.