Possibly a good sign? (Sasha)

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Sasha's Mom

Possibly a good sign? (Sasha)

Post by Sasha's Mom »

I've noticed over the last week that Sasha is occasionally "crawling on his knees" as opposed to dragging himself side-saddle fashion. He is using the hip muscles when he "crawls", which he has never done before, and is as upright as any creature can be in that position. Considering human babies crawl before they walk, I'm interested to know if this could be the case with cats and if it is a positive sign toward Sasha actually walking again?

Another thing I keep forgetting to ask and have seen it posted elsewhere concerning dogs with hind paralysis, when I try to stand Sasha up on all fours, he bends his rear paws in the opposite direction, which, if he were walking, he would be scraping his knuckles. Is there anything I can do PT wise (other than passive exercises) to re-train him to stand on the pads of his paws?

Lastly, another tidbit I keep forgetting to ask:

Sasha has a mild case of Entropion (eyelashes rubbing against the cornea) and tears constantly. There is some mucus, sometimes clear, sometimes a reddish-brown. Nothing looks infected and the vets here don't offer much help in this case since there is no apparent infection. I wash his eyes several times a day with warmed bottled water and cotton balls or cosmetic pads, but the eye drops (tobramycin and dexamethasone suspension) I am using seem to be of little value.

What are the pharmaceutical names of eye drops used for tearing in Persians or is there as specific eye drop for use in Entropion? I can not find any web references.

Thanks a million.
Leah
Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do.
http://eagles-sparrow.com
Joan

Re: Possibly a good sign? (Sasha)

Post by Joan »

On the entropian, there is no cure other than surgery. Any moisturizing drops safe for cats will help, but the irritation will continue until the source is removed. Itis pretty simple surgery, I had 3 pugs done this past summer, and they have been perfect ever since.

Good to hear that Sasha is up and using the hind quarters a bit. It was a good indication with some of my dogs. It is also easier on the hips and other joints. That dragging sideways is very hard on the other joints.
Joan
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That is exciting about the walking, I would certainly take it for a good sign. :D You could help him practice standing and place his feet for him in the proper stance, to help his nervous system remember the posture. I'm not sure how often, maybe twice a day? It sounds like great progress.
Sasha's Mom

Post by Sasha's Mom »

@ Joan
Not in the US right now and would not really trust the vets here to do the surgery. It's one of those cases where the entropian is not so severe as to require immediate surgery. Thank you for the info on the drops.
I've often wondered how much damage is being done to the hips and other joints with him dragging sideways as well. It's a Catch-22.

@ Carol
I have high hopes for Sasha. :)
I've been bending his paws back and having him stand on them on a skid-proof pad a few times a day as part of regular PT routine, so I guess not much more I can do in that area.
Is there any way to safely lift his hind area with some sort of homemade wrap to walk him around the house? I looked at all the links for rear slings for dogs and tried a few of the towel warps on Sasha, but they dig in to the belly too much.
What I've been doing is holding his rear legs off the floor and letting him run around on just his front paws. It's like driving a wheel barrow with me bent over him running him around the house. I don't know if it helps much, but it gives him the chance to straighten out the hip area. He purrs when I do it, so something is clicking somewhere, I suppose.
Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do.
http://eagles-sparrow.com
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd try lots of things to see what works for y'all best with his walking. A man's belt, a scarf, or any multitude of things might help save your back. Can you or somebody else knit or crochet? A walking aid could be made that way, as long as it wasn't too stretchy.