Two puppies 12 weeks old with back leg paralysis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
deb5261

Two puppies 12 weeks old with back leg paralysis

Post by deb5261 »

Hello everyone:

I have to start some where so here goes...........

On June 7,2010 while driving down the road I noticed a truck pull over and throw a German Shep dog out. I went to the aid of the dog and noticed that she was not only starving but was very pregnant. I took her home and prepared a place for her to rest and have her puppies. On June 15, 2010 she (Miley) gave birth to (3) very precious puppies, 1 male and 2 females. The male was very large in size and was healthy. The females also appeared healthy with the exception of being a lot smaller in size. All seemed to be going well but them Miley stopped nursing the 2 female pups so they had to be bottle fed. The male puppy was up and walking in a normal time frame but the females seemed a bit slower but very healthy in appearance. After 10 weeks the females still had not walked. I took them to vet for shots and an examination.

The bad news: The vet told me that the pups had a neurologic problem called Sarabella. He said the pups would not be able to use their back legs to walk. Their front paws are very strong and they can stand on all 4 legs but not for long periods of time. The vet asked me if I wanted to continue with the shots and I said "OF COURSE"! He more less was thinking on euthanizing them. These pups are totally normal in every way with the exception that they were born with special needs and cannot use their back legs. I made the decision to adopt both of these puppies. They have been named Savanna Marie & Bella Leigh. They continue to grow and get smarter with each day that passes. Even though they have special needs and can be alot of work, I have no regrets adopting them what so ever. Miley (MOM) and the male puppy have been placed in wonderful homes.

My reason for writting is because being new to these special needs puppies requires a lot more knowledge than I currently have. I am hoping to get some advice from the readers. Only positive advice please......these pups have had enough negative in their lives. I am facing the fact that they will both be in wheelchairs and I'm ok with that. I feel the sooner they are put in wheelchairs the better it will be for them and the easier it will be for them to begin to walk. At this time funds are limited due to the job market and the economy. I am working on getting them wheelchairs within the next month or two. They have hydro therapy on a daily basis and seem to enjoy it. Is there anything else that I should be doing for these pups at the current moment? Any positive suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for reading. :D
Attachments
puppy2.jpg
puppy1.jpg
Christine

Re: Two puppies 12 weeks old with back leg paralysis

Post by Christine »

:trophy: :welcomepink: Hi Deb!

You are so very welcome here...you are definitely our kind of people! I don't know anything about your pups' condition, but I know they will have a happy life with you. The one with the white accents on her face reminds me of another breed, can't think of the name right now.

You will get nothing but positive feedback and advice here, so please stick around and ask any questions that come up.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

The breed I am talking about is an entlebucher mix. They are part Cavalier and part Entle. This is the pup of a friend of mine.

Forgot to ask if the puppies are able to urinate and deficate normally. This might be something you would have to help with to prevent urninary tract infections.
Attachments
pumpkin penelope.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
deb5261

Post by deb5261 »

Hi there!
Yes these puppies can deficate normally. They in training process right now. Thanks so much for the information and the warm welcome.

Deb
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi Deb

Welcome from me too, your Pups are gorgeous and so is Penelope, Christine!

You've done such a great job with the little ones and on the rehoming of Miley and her Boy :)

Deb. I have never heard of Sarabella and can't find it on Google either? I hope they take to their "Wheels" like a Duck to water and hope to see Pics. of them whizzing around once you get them. You seem to have everything under control and I am sure they will thrive from your dedication and love.

Sharon:)
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
deb5261

Post by deb5261 »

Hi!

I too googled Sarabella and could not find anything either. The only thing i can think of is perhaps I am spelling it wrong. I will call vet today and see if I can't get the correct spelling. Thanks for your reply. I look forward to chatting with you more.

Deb
deb5261

Post by deb5261 »

ok, I called vet and got the correct spelling. (cerebellar hypoplasia) Hope this helps.

Deb
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

:thankyou: Deb, with you now. Are they a bit wobbly on their legs?

If you like, look up the top of the page and insert cerebellar hypoplasia in the Search box and you will find other Posters whose Pets have CH. Might be good to swop experiences??

All the best for you and the Pups!
Sharon:)
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:red: Cerebellar hypoplasia is critter cerebral palsy, which is how I usually explain it to people; almost everybody has at least an idea of what CP is.
deb5261

Post by deb5261 »

Thanks critters for the info. I atleast understand this whole thing a little better now. Never knew that dogs could get this terrible illness.

Deb
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Hi Deb, Welcome and thank you for helping this girl and her pups.

I'm Joanne and I have 8 (soon to be 9) adopted/rescued special needs dogs. The one thing I have learned is NEVER EVER give up and don't listen to people who tell you something is impossible. Amongst my 8 dogs are 3 German Shepherds and a Tervuren with hindlimb deformities - their legs are stuck straight out. I can't tell you how many people told me they would never walk, must be painful and should be put down.

Of course everyone was wrong .... It took some time and I did some at home rehab, but now all 4 walk and run like the wind, can get up and down steps, climb onto the sofa etc .....

I have never had a CH pup, but know a couple of people who do. Some dogs are in cart, but some get round just fine, albeit in a very wobbly way, on their own. I think you will be surprised at how well Savanna Marie & Bella Leigh do - dogs just don't have the hang ups we humans do, they just get on with life and if they want/need something will figure out a way.

Wishing you the best and looking forward to reading about their adventures.

Joanne
Duncan, Sam I Am, Tesla and Carl (black labs / mixes who think all German Shepherds are airheads)
Spirit, Eli, Aoibhe and Eli (3 German Shepherds and a Tervuren with hindlimb deformities)
http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

you are an angel to adopt these lucky souls.
Somehow you had to be in that place at that time, they were meant for you :angel:
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
deb5261

Post by deb5261 »

slshepherds wrote:Hi Deb, Welcome and thank you for helping this girl and her pups.

I'm Joanne and I have 8 (soon to be 9) adopted/rescued special needs dogs. The one thing I have learned is NEVER EVER give up and don't listen to people who tell you something is impossible. Amongst my 8 dogs are 3 German Shepherds and a Tervuren with hindlimb deformities - their legs are stuck straight out. I can't tell you how many people told me they would never walk, must be painful and should be put down.

Of course everyone was wrong .... It took some time and I did some at home rehab, but now all 4 walk and run like the wind, can get up and down steps, climb onto the sofa etc .....

I have never had a CH pup, but know a couple of people who do. Some dogs are in cart, but some get round just fine, albeit in a very wobbly way, on their own. I think you will be surprised at how well Savanna Marie & Bella Leigh do - dogs just don't have the hang ups we humans do, they just get on with life and if they want/need something will figure out a way.

Wishing you the best and looking forward to reading about their adventures.

Joanne
Duncan, Sam I Am, Tesla and Carl (black labs / mixes who think all German Shepherds are airheads)
Spirit, Eli, Aoibhe and Eli (3 German Shepherds and a Tervuren with hindlimb deformities)

Hi Joanne:
Looks as though you have done a wonderful job with your special needs rescue's. My hopes for Savanna & Bella are once they are in their wheelchairs to bring them to nursing homes and institutions to visit with the many elderly & special needs children. They can offer a lot of hope and inspiration to others. These girls were put here for a reason and I believe that they have a lot of hope to offer those who truly need it. They are getting stronger every day and developing their individual personalities. Currently they are on vitmin B-12 shots monthly and that seems to help tremendously. I have made arrangements with a local carpenter to make the girls each a starter type cart for them to start getting around using their front paws so they can be trained to potty outside. These will be temporary until the girls reach the right sizes and pounds to be able to be fitted for the wheelchairs. I am going to give these girls the good and happy life that they deserve. I wish you continued success with your rescue's and thank you as well for caring enough to take care of these special needs rescue's. They are truly God's gift to us. Keep up the good work.
~Deb~
deb5261

Post by deb5261 »

If there is anyone who is interested in donating to the Savanna & Bella walking wheels fund please email me and I'll send you the links for the chipin.com fund website. I also have accounts open with Sun Trust Bank and paypal. Lets help these girls get their walking wheels.

Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

deb5261 wrote:Thanks critters for the info. I atleast understand this whole thing a little better now. Never knew that dogs could get this terrible illness.

Deb
Well, I don't really consider it an illness. It's a disability, to be sure, but it doesn't get worse or require treatment per se. And, as mentioned, your babies may not need carts as they grow and develop their full abilities.