Mobility and Mental Issues - the End?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
foxytango

Mobility and Mental Issues - the End?

Post by foxytango »

I have a 17 year old lab mix, Samba, who has both mobility and mental problems and I am thinking that this is the end for her. BUT, before I take that last step of putting her down, I thought I'd share my situation with this great group for ideas.

Here's my situation: 2 years ago, she started to "knuckle" during her walks and when I asked the vet about that, he said that she had neural degeneration and it was "presumed" that she had degenerative myelopathy. I was referred to a place where I started her on physical rehab. At this time, Samba was able to get up and walk around with a limp on her left hind leg. The results were mixed. A year later, the vet then referred me to a neurologist vet who concluded that she did not have DM because she was in pain (yikes), and said she had a couple of slipped discs and so she was put on Tramadol. I continued the physical rehab where she got better but she started to decline anyway. I then switched to trying acupunture, but that failed.

At this point, she is not able to get up by herself and sometimes she has to lay flat because she can't get her head up, which results in lots of crying and barking. On weekends, when my husband and I are home, we are able to assist her and help her walk around. On rare occasions where she is able to get up, she will fall and may hurt herself. I've had to get her stitches for a couple of wounds followed by antibiotics, which gave her digestive problems. One time, she had a corneal abrasion. I have tried a wheel chair, Walkin Wheels, but she tends to lean over to one side or backwards so that didn't work for her. In addition, she developed a severe rash where the harness was and it took months to clear it up (more antibiotics). On weekdays when we are at work, she is locked up in the garage (it has rubberized flooring) since she can no longer get outside on her own via her "custom doggie door" and I have had compaints from neighbors about her constant barking. I generally come back to a mess in the garage and on her, and she is barking for help.

The worst problem is mental. A few months ago, she started having "panic attacks" where she would wake up in the middle of the night panting heavily. Her regular and holistic vet didn't know why it was happening. I did some research online and determined that she had dementia and started her on Senilife (a supplement). It worked for a while, but the panic attacks started up again after 2 months. I then tried DogtorRx, which seemed to help her mobility and sleeping, but again the problems came back. My husband and I are now losing a lot sleep which makes it hard for us to function. It is difficult to try to take care of her as well as our young children. The family has made many sacrifices both time wise and financially. It's also been almost impossible to go on vacations.

Here's a blog I wrote about her to track her progress - http://sambadm.blogspot.com/. I know that I cannot 'fix' her, but I was hoping that I could get her to at least get up and walk a little bit, e.g. to get a drink of water, and at best, get outside to relieve herself. One day, my 6-year old son said that she was the best dog in the world. I was surprised he said that since Samba cannot interact with us. I asked him why he said that, and he said it's because she never gives up.

I feel her quality of life and our quality of life is very poor and I think it may be time to end her suffering. Any ideas :?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Mobility and Mental Issues - the End?

Post by Bobbie »

If she we're 12 I would suggest trying some anti anxiety drugs but with pain, anxiety, and your own state of mind, and a dog who is at the end of a very long life, I concur with you. It is time, you now that better than any of us can.

You could try more painkillers and anti anxiety drugs like Xanax, but you are likely at best to end up with a sleeping dog that feels only slightly better.

Your dog has had a wonderfully long life and there comes a point at which prolonging it further does nothing for quality of life.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
foxytango

Post by foxytango »

Hi Bobbie - thanks for your very quick response. Yes, I am siding with going with the big "E". I just wanted to see if there were any ideas I haven't tried yet. FYI, I thought of Anipryl, which may help with the dementia, but I'd still have the daytime problem when she is left alone.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I have a thirteen year old corgi with DM. DM often presents night anxiety in later stages. He takes Ativan at night. But he is pain free and still enjoys walks and rides in the stroller. There are a lot of drugs to help your dog sleep but if the quality of life when awake is still poor that won't change your situation.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
foxytango

Post by foxytango »

Samba's neurologist said that she did not have DM as Samba took the DNA test which confirmed that she did not have the gene that predisposes her to DM. The bottom line is whatever reason for her insomnia, even if I conquer this part, the times when she has to be by herself causes her suffering both physically and mentally. I have exhausted all options that I am aware of. And given she is 17 years old, she is definitely living on borrowed time.
janew

Post by janew »

I am so sorry Samba has reached a point where love & money can not buy her more quality time. You have done much more than almost anyone can or WILL do. I can not think of anything more than you have done. Even if you can find a doggie dementia drug it will not solve her mobility issues. In my mind, I picture her as a bed ridden nursing home patient, that needs around the clock nursing care & does not even know it is there. If she is enjoying life & attention, then it is a 'nursing / care' issue, that maybe adjusting schedules or having someone come in when you work can help. Seventeen is a really great age for a lab x. You know her best & will know the 'right' answer for her. You have had her best interest in heart all along or she would not be 17, that is amazing. I am so sorry you are facing this, but only you know if her life is enjoyable or happy, or how you would want to tolerate old age & the future.
All the best,
jane
foxytango

Post by foxytango »

Thank you for your thoughts about Samba. Yes, her situation is similar to someone who requires round the clock nursing care, which we cannot give her. It just doesn't make sense to continue to keep her alive when she is not able to do anything by herself. When we are away from her and she is by herself, I think life is miserable for her as she is always falling down and cannot get up and then she cries/barks for a long time. We used to have a Rottweiller who passed away at our home when my kids were new babies, and we just didn't have the time to care for her when her health was declining before her death. I felt so bad that we didn't put her down before she died on her own because I really think that she was suffering. I vowed to always keep an eye on Samba and never let her get to that point where I would regret not demonstrating my final act of love for her before it was too late. And now that she doesn't have any good days anymore, it seems apparent that the time is now. It's awfully sad, but she will be at peace. :angel: