I need help with my Trail please!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
michelerust

I need help with my Trail please!

Post by michelerust »

My Trail has neurological disorders due to being beaten severely in his head, and brain swelling, he also has scars on his legs. I don't know where else to turn for advice, so I thought I would try you. He's been to the vet several times for this, and they don't know what to do, to the point of putting him on antibiotics, which obviously didn't help. He is throwing up one day every week or two, he rubs his face on the floor like it's numb, he taps his front paws when he's excited, he shakes, and twitches at times, he falls because his back legs are week(he's almost 80 lbs, so it's a big fall), and he walks so stiffly, though when he's protecting the yard you'd never know he has an issue. He is the most lovable little gentleman, and he is good with our other 4 special needs babies. Any ideas of anything we can do to help him? I have a cat that was born with neurological issues, but Trail's are much worse, and he is my heart! Thank you! :thankyou:
1trail.jpg
CarolC

Re: I need help with my Trail please!

Post by CarolC »

:group:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

It sounds to me like he has a sort of acquired cerebellar hypoplasia, which is critter cerebral palsy. Does he have seizures? Spasms and twitches are part of the package with severe CH and CP, so it can be hard to tell.
michelerust

Post by michelerust »

Thank you! He doesn't have seizures, but twitches at times, and falls alot. He does better some days than others. He is a very gentle and sweet boy, and I wish we could find some help for him. He taps his front paws whenever he is excited or upset, and his back legs are weak. :? :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd show you the 6-wheeled "quad" cart I made for Ari, my spasti baby, but I'm getting error 404 on every Wiki page. Maybe Mark moved the server? :?
michelerust

Post by michelerust »

He tries so hard. He gets so excited when I get home that he tries to run back and forth like his sister(our beagle, Sally) does, and he fell again tonight. He slipped the other night, and banged his chin on the coffee table. He is such a happy and gentle guy, it just so hard to see him like this. When he gets up after he naps, he is so stiff he about falls down the 2 steps off the porch. He still has scars on his legs from where they beat him, and scars on the bottom of his feet because they hit him so hard in his head that his feet dug into the ground and his brain swelled. I love him so much, I know I keep saying that. It is always great to hear from you! I feel like you understand! :angel: Trail says thanks too! The pic I attached is Trail and his sister, Sally, unfairly begging their dad for food. Sally was abused too. They burned the inside of her ears with cigarettes, broke her teeth, tail and ribs. :x

Thank you and god bless always!

Michele Rust
BTW, my email is micheleandrich@thehoosiertrail.com if you are on facebook you can find me with that or my name.
Attachments
sallyandtrail.jpg
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It looks like you have wood floors. Would he do better on something with more traction, like carpet runners or area rugs?
critters wrote:I'd show you the 6-wheeled "quad" cart I made for Ari, my spasti baby, but I'm getting error 404 on every Wiki page. Maybe Mark moved the server?

Critters, I have copies of the wiki pics on a flash drive, here are some of them, hope they are the right ones. :)
Cart_001-1.jpg
Cart_little-2.jpg
Finished_cart_001-1.jpg
michelerust

Post by michelerust »

U r gonna laugh, but the problem is that Sally never fully housebroke, I think due to head injury also. She forgets. She uses puppy pads in the kitchen, and confuses carpet with pads. I just bought Trail 2 big blue rugs that he thinks are his beds, and am buying a 3rd one for him. He falls outside too, and I don't know what to do this winter with the snow and all.
janew

Post by janew »

Maybe traction boots would help him on your wood floors...I can understand the rug issue with poor Sally. Do you think fitting him with a walking aid harness would let you help him around the house & down the stairs? If he is stiff when he gets up, maybe he is arthritic from the abuse injuries? Maybe joint supplements & a non steriodal anti-imflamatory might help. I do not know why he vomits, any activity that happens to make him nervous when it happens or something he gets fed? Maybe ask your vet about Gabopentin (sp?) if you think it is nerve issues in his face. But one of my 'normal' dogs is a face rubber, I think it his way of wiping his mouth off (I don't give him napkins, LOLs).
I was just thinking if you could assist him walking he might get more strength in those rear legs & maybe 're-learn' some balance & walking skills. I also wonder if swimming him would help. I think it must be pretty tough to manage a 80 lb dog with neurological issues. They are lucky babies to have you!!!
jane
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

CarolC wrote: Critters, I have copies of the wiki pics on a flash drive, here are some of them, hope they are the right ones. :)
Cart_001-1.jpg
Cart_little-2.jpg
Finished_cart_001-1.jpg
:thankyou: Carol!