FCE-1st Night Home Freaking Out

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
mmason582

FCE-1st Night Home Freaking Out

Post by mmason582 »

hi Group:

Okay, so I just found this group and I am scared. I'm freaking out because it's our first night home. Looking for any insight/tip/helpful hints from ANYONE is willing to share their experiences as we start down this journey. I know I need patience, but I'm afraid I'm going to hurt her (Eden) or do something wrong or not do something that I should. I'm not sure she's even a candidate for a wheelchair because she's not using her front feet yet and I can't get this towel walking thing down. She has sensation in all 4 limbs, but the left front knuckled. She has control over her bladder, but did vomit before I picked her up--hoping it was just her nerves. I know I'm freaking her out because she won't go potty for me, but she did for the staff at the vet.

Everything I read states that recovery depends on nursing care and the first 3 weeks are crucial, but I can't find anything to tell me exactly how to provide good nursing care, especially the first week. The vet said that he wanted us to come get her because she's a people dog and he felt she was doing worse being there and getting depressed...now I'm just scared I'm going to make it worse! I'm a checklist kind of person and I need some insight! Thank you, Group!

Marsha (Eden's mom)
CarolC

Re: FCE-1st Night Home Freaking Out

Post by CarolC »

Hi Marsha,

What kind and size of dog is she?

I am not quite clear on how much she is affected. You said her front foot turns under. Can she stand if you hold her?

Vomiting is not normally a part of FCE...did they give her any medication that you know of?

My dog's physical therapist says 85% of dogs will recover from FCE. How did they diagnose the FCE? The only way I'm aware of that they can diagnose it is to rule out everything else. What tests were done? Please just add anything you can think of.

Thanks!

:group:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

FCEs don't usually get worse, so that's a GOOD thing. The main things would be to keep her pooping and peeing (you'll want to see the expressing tip link on the incontinence board), to keep her clean, and to turn her regularly if she can't do it herself; sores are something you DON'T need.
mmason582

Post by mmason582 »

C&C:

What a LONG night! Information about Eden: Eden is a white standard poodle. She turns 11 on Dec 22nd. She's very intelligent, atheletic and very much loves to "go for rides" in the car. On Monday night, she yelped in pain but was able to stand and to walk to the car, but her tongue was hanging out on the left side. By the time my husband got her to the vet (approx 1.5hrs from initial onset) she did walk into the vet's office. Ultimately, our regular vet referred us to a orthorpedic vet after stating that she took a turn for the worse, i.e., her left FRONT foot knucked, on Tuesday. The earliest the ortho vet could see her was Weds morning though. Our vet said that he wanted to keep her sedated until we took her to the ortho vet, so we left her overnight on Tues. On Weds, we transported her to the ortho. We paid for the CAT and MRI tests at the ortho vet. He told us there is no infections, bleeding, cancers, tumors, or any compression to any vertebrae or anything wrong with her except that she cannot use her rear and left front side.

We take her to our business with us everyday, so we reviewed the security footage from the entire day for that Monday. nothing happened. She wasn't playing, nothing fell on her...just nothing. She was literally fine one minute and then next she refused to move without crying. All you can see is her walk from one room into the next room and lay behind my husband's chair. You see him try to move his chair, she stays still, you see him bend to touch her and that's when she starts crying. He pets her head and she crys. Then, you see them walk to the car. He said that he had to pick her to put her in the car, but she did walk to the car. Then, he helped her out of the car at the vets, but she walked inside (even potty before going inside). Vet gives her steriods and sedates her for the evening. Tuesday he tells me about her front left paw knuckling and how he wants to refer her out.

Initially, we thought it was a compressed disc. But the tests didn't reveal anything of that sort. So, Weds the ortho vet states he wants to keep her to run more tests...$1600 worth of tests (WOW-thank God we just got married and still had our wedding money). Thursday I'm told she's fine, that she has control over her bladder and is towel walking wiht assistance but still cannot use her rear. Yesterday, the ortho vet called me and stated for us to come get her because he felt that she was getting depressed by her vomitting and refusing to use her right front paw. However, I think alot of my stress/frustration is coming from different stories I'm getting on her conditions. The problem with one of these 24hr vet clinics is that each nurse tells you something different or contradicts the other. Now, I have to be honest and say that I do LOVE this ortho vet...last night, the nurse giving us our discharge instructions just wasn't as helpful/informative as the other nurses I had been talking too. She's the one that contradicted everything I had been told until then.

Eden has not vomitted since we got her home (interesting when she vomitted yesterday, it was from her food on Monday morning--which freaks me out that she hadn't digested her food in 5 days).

Last night was hard. We tried to towel walk her, but really didn't know what we were doing--and it's like she just froze out side. This morning the nurse told me that she took her by herself and that maybe she's picking up on mine and my husband's anxiety. At 3:30, she woke us up crying and had pulled herself off her bed and was heading towards the door. We got up and tried again to take her out. She froze again. Finally, I said let's just take her inside and calm down. We laid beside her and she finally went. But, you can tell it upset her because she will hold her urine to avoid accidents in the house. Stripped down bedding and placed in washer. Cleaned her up (groomer is coming to shave her back end today--I read that somewhere last night), so if she has an accident then it won't get in her hair. Now, I feel horrible because I feel like I'm not doing something right. I got a little more instruction this morning from ortho vet.

Apparently, I need to be encouraging her to use her front end and to just assit with her rear. My husband and I were just carrying her outside, then trying to position her feet so she is standing. Then, we've just been waiting and she won't go. But, are we supposed to actually be simulating walking with her around the yard or letting her take the lead and just kind of follow beside her? Already pulled my back out--what did they say...patience, patience!!

She does shift her weight and rotate herself while on her bed. I guess I'm scared because everything I read says that if a dog with FCE is going to improve, it happens in the first couple of weeks. I don't want to push her too hard, but I don't want to not be aggressive enough either. The ortho vet wants her on basic bed rest for the next week, but I thought we were supposed to encourage them to move.

We've been to Walmart and purchased a couple of baby crib waterproof mattress covers, which has helped more than those stupid puppy pads...I swear those things are definitely not made for a 49lb dog or maybe I'm buying the wrong kind...never had to buy these things before, so I'm not really sure. She has a 7 inch ortho dog bed, but wants to lay on the $25 bed instead. I was trying to keep her on the ortho bed to avoid pressure sores. Then, I think to myself--let sleep on whatever bed she wants to sleep on..what do you think? I just gave her the baby asprin and I'm told to wait an hour before giving her the GI meds. But, she hasn't gone to the potty since 3:30 this morning despite us taking her outside twice. Vet keeps telling me not to worry about manual expression because she can go and that I need to focus on learning to towel walk her so she can continue what they already started. now, I'm worried that I should've left her there longer but she's definitely happy being home and with her sister, Vegas, who very quietly and loyally lays beside her.

Wow, I hope that answered some of your questions. I kind of feel like I'm rambling but I don't want to leave out any important details. Oh, one more thing--what is your opinion about using diapers? I don't want hinder any progress but I'm trying to keep her as clean as possible too.

Praying for patience~~Marsha
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ok, that was a very good account and now I have the picture, thanks! I am on my lunch hour so may think of more to say later after work, but will go with what comes to me right now. (Sorry if I seem to jump around.) I am glad you were able to do the testing that you did, it gives more confidence in the diagnosis, you can be more reassured about that. The idea of baby pads is good, I use them here, they are definitely better than puppytraining pads or human incontinence pads. With FCE, as critters said, all the damage that was going to be done was already done during that first day or so, it isn't going to get any worse, you have nowhere to go but up. Also, the pain will not continue and will not come back, she is probably already over that I'm guessing. You are probably right about her mood and picking up on your anxiety. They recommend always being positive around the dog and if you have to cry, go in the other room where she cannot hear you. Considering the recovery rates for FCE, you can allow yourself to feel positive and tell her sincerely she is going to get better, because in all likelihood she will. The lowest figure I've seen for recovery from FCE is 69% recovering, and like I said before, my dog's professional physical therapist quotes 85%. The 15% that do not are some cases where the owner did not have the ability to provide nursing care (size of dog, schedule, etc.) and they put the dog down before recovery could occur, and some cases where the owner was given a negative prognosis and chose to put the dog down. Keeping a positive attitude and keeping her happy will help the recovery. Aggressive physical therapy is what they recommend for FCE so I agree you are going to want to be helping her practice walking. For moving her around, I recommend you get a standard nylon chest harness like they sell at every pet store, so you have something to grab onto to help hold up her front. Then there are a number of things you can use for supporting her rear besides a towel. I find grasping a towel very difficult, I do not have a strong grip. You really want something like a rear harness (like the Walkabout harness) with carry handles on it for you to hold. The HP website sells a lot of harnesses and they can overnight them to you if you want. I have also seen such harnesses suitable for a medium dog at PetsMart. You could probably also tear up a bedsheet or use a baby bed sheet instead of a towel and it would be easier to use because it isn't so bulky. If you have a horse girth, that would work. If she's really big, a firewood carrier would work. I have heard of people taking a canvas book or grocery bag and cutting out the sides so it lies flat and using that for a rear harness. I am out of time but may write more tonight. Recovery is going to be exciting...you may not realize it yet, but every little improvement keeps you going and is something to celebrate. I am glad you have her home, sorry I can't write more right now. :angel:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

PS You might want to have them shave (in addition to her bottom) the underside of her tail, the inner thighs, her breeches (fur on back of thighs) if needed, and possibly the very lowest part of her abdomen near the private area. Don't worry, it will barely show and it will grow back. :wink: Then you can keep her clean with unscented baby wipes or a plain damp washcloth.

PPS The :wash: icon is on this board for a reason! :D

PPPS That may be the first FCE caught on tape--what a great idea to check! :smart:
mmason582

Post by mmason582 »

C&C and fellow group members:

I apologize for my delayed response! What a weekend!! Saturday night was horrible. She was crying to go outside to potty but everytime we took her out--she would either fall forward or couldn't squat because we were using those stupid towels....so drove an hour to the nearest Petsmart and got the lift aid, which has helped us tremendously with her! We had a potty outside yesterday!! YAY!!! I've never been so excited to see a dog potty in MY LIFE!!

Yesterday, she started playing with her babies and actually tried to sit up on her two front feet. She stood (after we got her up) for 45 seconds too! However, this morning she vomitted. I was concerned that she hasn't pooped since we got her home, so we took her to our regular vet (who relieved her) and stated that sometimes aspirin causes constipation and not to freak out. Of course, I'm learning patience as I'm very much a control freak and this is definitely something that I have ZERO control over--which is killing me. If she had more control in the front, then I think this wouldn't be as bad. But trying to flex her feet so she can stand upright plus using that towel was just not effective. I've been looking online and have seen other lift aides and even wheelchairs. Does anyone have any experience with the wheelchairs? Before I invest in something this expensive, I was hoping to get some insight, reviews and/or opinions of those that have used these devices.

I'm just worried because I think that we should be aggressive with her PT and I want her seeing a professional now. The ortho vet and my regular vet both say that they want her on complete bed rest for the next two weeks explaining that they want the swelling in the spinal cord to go down before we do anything else. Now, my husband keeps saying to listen to the vets but all the stuff I read online says get in PT. What do my fellow group members think? All of you have way more experience (in the day-to-day life/recovery) and while I don't plan to disregard professional advice, I've also learned that sometimes a person needs to be proactive in human and animal care. Just want to keep my options open.

Carol: You are an angel! Just having someone to respond helps me feel not so alone in this....it's just frustrating....the unknown, that is....plus you give me hope. My regular vet said that she had a dog suffer from FCE and it took 3 months to recover. I'm just really torn about the wheelchair or whether I'm jumping the gun too soon. I know you are busy and we keep missing each other, but please stay in contact! I appreciate your thoughts;)

Marsha
mmason582

Post by mmason582 »

C&C and fellow group members:

I apologize for my delayed response! What a weekend!! Saturday night was horrible. She was crying to go outside to potty but everytime we took her out--she would either fall forward or couldn't squat because we were using those stupid towels....so drove an hour to the nearest Petsmart and got the lift aid, which has helped us tremendously with her! We had a potty outside yesterday!! YAY!!! I've never been so excited to see a dog potty in MY LIFE!!

Yesterday, she started playing with her babies and actually tried to sit up on her two front feet. She stood (after we got her up) for 45 seconds too! However, this morning she vomitted. I was concerned that she hasn't pooped since we got her home, so we took her to our regular vet (who relieved her) and stated that sometimes aspirin causes constipation and not to freak out. Of course, I'm learning patience as I'm very much a control freak and this is definitely something that I have ZERO control over--which is killing me. If she had more control in the front, then I think this wouldn't be as bad. But trying to flex her feet so she can stand upright plus using that towel was just not effective. I've been looking online and have seen other lift aides and even wheelchairs. Does anyone have any experience with the wheelchairs? Before I invest in something this expensive, I was hoping to get some insight, reviews and/or opinions of those that have used these devices.

I'm just worried because I think that we should be aggressive with her PT and I want her seeing a professional now. The ortho vet and my regular vet both say that they want her on complete bed rest for the next two weeks explaining that they want the swelling in the spinal cord to go down before we do anything else. Now, my husband keeps saying to listen to the vets but all the stuff I read online says get in PT. What do my fellow group members think? All of you have way more experience (in the day-to-day life/recovery) and while I don't plan to disregard professional advice, I've also learned that sometimes a person needs to be proactive in human and animal care. Just want to keep my options open.

Carol: You are an angel! Just having someone to respond helps me feel not so alone in this....it's just frustrating....the unknown, that is....plus you give me hope. My regular vet said that she had a dog suffer from FCE and it took 3 months to recover. I'm just really torn about the wheelchair or whether I'm jumping the gun too soon. I know you are busy and we keep missing each other, but please stay in contact! I appreciate your thoughts;)

Marsha
mmason582

Post by mmason582 »

Carol:

PS: Oh, I did have the groomer shave all the areas you suggested and we've been using the baby wipes to clean her like you suggested. Is it sad that I'm actually excited to have her potty in the house...just as long as she goes potty!?! My vet said that she and I both have a few mental issues to get past--Eden has to stop holding it (especially since she held it for 19 hours) and I've got to relax when I take her out, so we stop working against each other in that regard. She's eating and drinking water although our regular vet put her on a high fiber diet until we can get her to poop on her own. She suggested adding a little pumpkin to her food--have you ever done this? Will it give her dirreaha (however you spell it)? What's the lesser of two evils--constipation or dirreaha?
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

Pumpkin is wonderful for helping add extra fiber to the diet naturally. I've also used green beans. The problem with chronic diarrhea is dehydration, and constipation will make it possibly painful for her. Just make sure it's JUST pumpkin. No spices or other additives.

Once you and Eden both learn to relax with all this, it should go smoother. It's just as weird for her to have you helping her go as you having to help. Walking her around and letting her have a similar experience before pottying may help. If you go to either Petsmart or Petco (I know the Petco products better since I work there) there are sprays for scenting whatever you want to smell like a place to go. It may even make going outside a faster experience! There are also pads that are washable. And potty patches are a nice idea...but she isn't a small dog, and even the large size may not work. As much as we prefer the dogs to go outside, I'd be just as happy with inside so she doesn't inadvertently give herself a bladder infection holding it. >.<
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
mmason582

Post by mmason582 »

S: Are you saying to add the pumpkin and the green beans or either pumkin or green beans (not both)?
jaross

Post by jaross »

I usually lurk here. But, I wanted to respond to you. I have a six year old Doxie named Schatzie who has five herniated discs with paralysis to her back legs. It's been two years.

I'm a control freak too and was very worried I was doing something wrong. With time you'll get more comfortable with the things you have to do and it will be second nature with no stress.

It sounds like Eden is already improving. That's great. Sometimes the improvements are so small that you barely notice. But, every bit is important. Many dogs make a full recovery or at least improve to the point that they can function on their own. The doctor is right that most of the improvement will come in the first several weeks. But, it's not necessarily in the first days. The swelling has to go down before much can happen. Two years later, Schatzie is still improving and she was a VERY extreme case.

We waited about six weeks for physical therapy. Her PT said the swelling had to go down before she could start.

As far as the wheelchair, I waited quite a while before purchasing one so that I knew what her abilities really were. In addition to the wheelchairs here, there are only a handfull of websites that make them. Most can build wheels that will perfectly suit Eden's abilities.

Schatzie and I have both adjusted really well. she is very, very happy. Loves to cuddle and go for walks. She scoots around without her wheels most of the time at home or in the yard. But, if we walk in the park or neighborhood, she always has her wheels.

I joke that the paralysis really works for her. She always believed she was the center of the universe. Now no one can ignore her. Children come running to meet "the doggie with wheels." To top it all off, she is carried almost everywhere! she still hunts the moles in the yard and scares the crows and squirrels away. Life is good.

You are at the worst part. Just know it will get easier and Eden will get better than she is now. It just takes time. So, hang in there.
mmason582

Post by mmason582 »

J:

Thank you for the sweet words of encouragement! This group has been really great with words of support! Last night, she poop'ed.....it seems weird for me to be so excited to talk about dog poop, but what a relief. It makes me feel like her bowels are working properly. She needed support, but she actually walked and sniffed until she found her perfect spot--although I managed to step in another dog's poop--she did not. Her front foot is not knuckled so she was able to move around fairly well (all considering). She cannot stand on her own and we are not pushing her too. Yesterday she was able to sit completely up, which is more than her being able to prop herself up on her elbows. I'm going to take your advice and take a couple of steps back--give her time to heal before I rush out and spend the money on the wheelchair. Just having her to be able to support her front end gives us so much hope. I love that everyone on here is dedicated to their dog. A lot of my friends think I'm crazy, but she's my baby and I'm not giving up on her! Just hearing everyone's stories make me not feel so alone! Thank you, again! I think it's really cool that your baby is the center of attention with her wheels! Eden would love the attention too!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

All right!!! You are seeing progress already. jaross is right, recovery from paralysis is by little improvements. Not knuckling her foot, being able to stand for 45 seconds, getting up to her feet instead of her elbows, having some control over pottying. Don't apologize, you have joined a long line of people celebrating toileting in their handicapped pets :wink: you should have seen me the day my dog actually stood up for Number Two. :ecstatic: One thing you will find out is, when you are seeing these little (even very small) improvements day by day and week by week, it really keeps you going. You don't question yourself, you're just so thrilled seeing the miracle of recovery. Recovery can continue to occur for a long time. My dog continued to show little improvements for 2 years, and even the occasional little improvement after that. Years after her initial injury, she would suddenly do something she'd never been able to do before, it is so exciting. In you position I would probably not order a wheelchair, but that is totally your call. It looks like, since you are seeing these improvements already, she may not ever need the wheelchair. The question is, do you need it. This is a big dog and if you can handle her better with a wheelchair, that is a good enough reason to get one. I always think the $350 you pay for a large wheelchair is nothing compared to the medical bills you may have if you hurt your back.

I am not sure why your vet is suggesting rest, maybe thinking has changed on this or maybe you need a second opinion? They recommend aggressive physical therapy for FCE, assuming you have a firm diagnosis. You did quite a bit of testing, I would think you can be pretty confident it is not a disk problem. You definitely want to restrict activity for a disk problem, but the vet said that is not what this is. I am a little unsure why they told you to give aspirin? I have heard some FCEs described as a bleed around the spinal cord (and have heard others described as being caused by cartilage). If it is possibly a bleed, I would not want aspirin, but I am not a vet. Your dog should not be having pain with FCE after the first few days. They do recommend an anti-inflammatory the first few days but not beyond that as far as I know. If it was my dog, I would be trying to get her up and moving several times a day. You can also do physical therapy with her while she is lying down. Bicycle her legs through the full range of motion. Massage her legs and feet to stimulate her nerve endings. Press against the bottoms of her feet and let her resist you by pushing back. Help her practice standing, then let her lie down again. There is even a exercise called "scratch all over" where you scratch your dog anywhere there might be an itch and see if she will kick her foot in response. Anything you can think of, be creative. I did "This little piggy" with my dog's toes...she thought it was funny. :D
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

Pumpkin or green beans. My dogs love green beans and eat them straight off the vines.

We celebrate pottying here! :ecstatic: :dancing: Nerves love to take time to heal, so we praise every little improvement.
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.