need help and advice for parents dog

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
my4turtles

Re: need help and advice for parents dog

Post by my4turtles »

I think mom and dad are set on the wheels for him, how do they get set up fpr it size wise???...
baileytrooper

Post by baileytrooper »

Depending on what company you decide to go with, they each have measurements they need and can assist you over the phone if necessary. Custom carts need very precise measurements. The Walkin' Wheels I got for Bailey was "off the shelf" and less specific as it is not custom.

I think people here have various carts, so you may be able to ask around for pros and cons. I think I've met people who liked each kind, so I spent a lot of time trying to decide for myself and Bailey, and was going to go with a company a few hours away to have him professionally fitted, but ultimately decided that wouldn't work when they told me it wouldn't fit in my car with myself AND 2 big dogs...which defeated the purpose of making him mobile!

Ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Walkin' Wheels
Eddie's Wheels
Doggon Wheels
K9 Cart Company/K9 Cart Company East
Deweys Wheelchairs for Dogs

http://www.handicappedpets.com/www/inde ... anies.html
Steph
Bailey - 7 yr old GSD, Degenerative Myelopathy, dx- Jan '09
Trooper - 7 yr old GSD, blind (Optic Nerve Hypoplasia) and ideopathic epilepsy
Roo - 12 yr old GSD mix, recently torn cruciate ligaments

http://www.youtube.com/user/baileytrooper
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Happy New Year to one and all! Lovely day in my part of Spain, feel the urge to get and do something lol!
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

How presious, thank you for sharing
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Personally, carts are a great idea but I would wait before ordering a cart. You are going to have to handle the little guy (he's cute, by the way!) quite a bit to get the measurements. The cart company I dealt with did not recommend putting the dog in a cart till at least 6 weeks, to allow time for healing. Now is a good time to study the different cart models and try to determine what is best for your dog, but wait a bit to measure and order. Your dog may end up not needing a cart by the time the end of crate rest draws near.
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

Hi Carol,

Thank you for you advise i will wait.

Yep he is cute. He has aquired a nice appetite but likes mom to hand feed him his kibbles ha ha. :lol:
Mekois4me!

Post by Mekois4me! »

Hi Christine,
Around the same time your dog was paralized my Meko was too. He has the same thing as your dog and all of this is so new to me. Meko is a almost 9 year old white pekingnese and he has lost the mobility of his back two hind legs. He has a very strong front and acts like nothing has happened to him and just keeps on going.. well dragging. When we took him into the vet we were told that he has IVDD and that surgery would give us a 50-50 percent chance that he might come back. We ordered him a wheel chair from ruff rolling. I like how they are designed from the others. One thing I would recommed is take your time if you already haven't got him a chair yet to really think about what manufacture is best for your dog. Meaning look at how the dog sits in the chair, take that into accoutability, also how his feet will either hang or sit on a back bar, or the wheels, and if there is a theraphy bar for his legs to hang from. All those I took into effect and figured ruff rollin was the best place for us to get a chair. With all chairs you need your dogs measure ments and we just had our vet do it. We are also doing phyisical theraphy. We go in next week on friday for our first session. They will also teach me and my husband how to do these exercises at home and in water. So I would recommend that too. Or ask your vet if physical theraphy will help. Ours said it would. But I feel the stress and sadness as you do having to learn something new for your animal. I hope everything is well and you guys are doing great!
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

Hey everyone,

is there anyone on this site in S.Cal. i was told by the vet on thursday that if Clyde has surgery he has a 85-90% of walking. i have a quote for this surgery from $5,000 to $6,000.

We are trying to find one at least a $1,000 cheaper that the quote of $5,000. Urghh its so frustrating with these vets their so money hungry and i feel that its money first and pet second,

Thanks everyone

Sue and my little guy Clyde
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Sue,

Do you have a veterinary college near you that you could check prices for?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

hi Christine,

Never thought of that l will have to browse the web, thanks.

Sue
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

we have found a vet via a friend to give an opinion on Clyde.

1pm he is going to the vets for an MIR. Even out own vet has not done an xray on him. There surgery is around $3,111.00 - $3,685.00 which is a better price than what we have be quoted but the mri is very expensive but for the price we are going to pay today will be extensive, we are praying either way he will get so movement in his back lets. Thanks to you all on this web for your support, i will keep you all posted.

Sue and Clyde :)
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

the new vet we went to was very good/ Unfortunately Clyde has not deep pain. I think this guy we went to was the most honest. He said he could have done an mri on him and could do surgery but as he said with the injury he has even in the begining it would not help. He also told us that he has the stiff paralises and there is possiblility that in a few months he may be able to walk but not like he used to he has seen that happened many times.

Clyde has once stood up by him self not for long not complet stand but its a start.

My thing now is getting diapers or wraps to fit him for his urine problem. i got one wrap for him but it has given him a rash so l am back to the diapers again.

i need a good website for wheels for him too if you know who the best ones on line are l would appreciate it.

Before l go, Clyde shuffles around real good now, he is so excited when we come home and when he sees the grandkids, also he is back sharing our bed ha ha.
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi there

Well, it wasn't the News you would have wished for from the Vet but at least he was honest so you won't go to a lot of expense to most probably be disappointed.

Clyde's doing well, it took Duchess 9 months to stand on her own to eat and drink. Like Clyde she gets around very well in her own fashion and Boy is she Fast? Always there at the door to greet us, bless her!

I can't remember, have you tried expressing Clyde's Bladder so Diapers aren't necessary? There's lots of good info. on the Incontinence etc. Thread. Hey, he's back on the bed, great News:( I express Duchess 4 times a day and she never has an accident and goes right through the night, yep, on my bed....

Sharon x
Living in Spain.
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

hi Sharon,

Yes it wasnt the news we wanted but we love him the same anyway, honoury as he is ha ha.

Yes i express his bladder and he does also go on his own, but seems he is hiding some more ha ha.

We feel so lucky that he is not in pain, thats our major concern. We will be ordering his wheels and some friends have given us numbers for choroprators too ( not spelt right sorry). Will see how he goes.

Sue
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

That made me laugh, Clyde probably stores it up especially for you!! I did buy some wheels from the UK, so can't recommend in your part of the World. Duchess is old and didn't walk far in any event when she could, I did try her in them a couple of times but she wasn't impressed. For younger and more active Dogs they are a true blessing. I've seen some great Wheelers on You Tube:)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Sharon x
Living in Spain.