Using splints for protecting dragging toes

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Goodfinder

Using splints for protecting dragging toes

Post by Goodfinder »

My 8-yr old boxer, Jackthedog, has DM. He can still walk, but his toes knuckle under a lot, and if we walks any distance his nails and knuckles start bleeding. Has anyone tried putting their dog's back feet in splints as a way of keeping the toes up? Even if I put him in a wheelchair, I'm worried that his feet will drag and boots seem a way to protect but not to position the toes/feet in a more natural position while he can still use them. ...
I see two Leg Splints and Bootie Splints on the Handicappedpet.com site <http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.ph ... lints.html> but I'm not sure what the difference is between those two. Any experience?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Using splints for protecting dragging toes

Post by Bobbie »

Not with that, but I have heard of people successfully using the Biko brace.

http://www.vetinst.com/pages.php?pageid=62

It seems to work well with big dogs.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My Koi has contractures such that his L toes drag all the time. We've tried EVERYTHING, including custom splints, standard splints, and tendon surgery. Nothing's worked long-term, but it's not a typical situation. The difference between the bootie splints and the regular hock ones is length, and either may work for dragging toes. The longer ones might work longer, since they'll also protect his hock if he should become a hock walker.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I am afraid that adding a splint to a dog with DM would discourage walking more, and keeping the dog in good shape as long as the legs still work is important. I never tried the Biko (or a homemade alternative) with Merlin and just went to the cart when he started to knuckle too bad, but others have and it works. You may want to join our DM Dogs group and ask about it. Eventually nothing will work as the upper leg muscles go and your dog can't stand on his legs even if you set the foot right, but that's a bit down the road.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
jaross

Post by jaross »

I struggled with this for a long time. My doxie knuckles almost all the time. Booties don't work on dogs who knuckle - even less so on dachshunds and other short legged breeds. I experimented with all kinds of tape and wraps for nearly a year.

What works for us is sports tape and a small strip of leather. Sports tape works best because it's sticky enough to stay, but not too sticky to pull off ALL the fur. Sports tape is flexible enough to not impede any progress if the dog wants to try to straighten out her feet. Knowing that the ground is moving underneath is important for the muscle memory reflex to kick in.

I added the leather because outside, she would wear through the tape fairly quickly. If we went out on pavement in her wheels, she would tear through within a 100 feet. So, I bought scrap leather at michael's craft store and cut it into small rectangulars. It will cover from the end of the toenails to a bit above what drags. For Schatzie, a min dachshund, they are about 3/4" wide and 2" long.

To apply, I cut the strips of tape (for Schatzie, they are about 8-10" long). I put the scrap of leather about 1/2 -3/4 from the end - perpendicular (like a cross or T) on the strip of tape. Then I place the leather on the top of her foot (the part that drags). Make sure to cover the nails because they will wear down on the pavement and bleed quickly if the where the skin meets the nail is exposed. So, I hang over the nails a little bit.

Wrap the tape: starting at the bottom near where the skin meets the nails. Wrap up like wrapping a human ankle or wrist. I stop just below the knee so she has flexibility.

Your first try probably won't be pretty. But, it will become second nature. You'll probably have to make adjustments for your dog's size and/or condition. An extra bonus is that sports tape comes in colors and prints if you look. Those are usually a thinner material, so we apply them over the regular white tape for special occassions!

Schatzie is a 7 year old mini dachshund. When she was four (2 1/2 years ago), she suddenly couldn't stand up or walk. We rushed to the doggie hospital. The next day they prepped her for surgery. When they put the dye in her spine to locate the herniated disks, they found FIVE herniated / compressed disks. She was not a candidate for surgery after all. In fact, they did not expect her to live. I realize now that they sent her home to be comfortable for a few days before she died.

But, she surprised everyone! Not only has she survived, she is happy. She gets around okay and still does her favorite things like cuddling, playing and hunting mice/moles. She always believed the world revolved around her - Now the whole universe is at her command. No one can ignore the cute little dog in her wheels. She is a celebrepup wherever she goes.

At home, in the house and in our yard, she usually just scoots. She has enough strength to pick her belly up and drags on her legs. She moves like a seal. We also have wheels for her when we go for walks (pavement is too rough to scoot), to school baseball games (her favorite!) or anywhere we don't KNOW what's in the grass. The taping and leather is the key to staying mobile and safe in all situations. She is always taped up when she is outside, even in our yard.

Hope this helps!

Chris and Schatzie