FCE 2 weeks out, back legs paralyzed

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Abbys mom

FCE 2 weeks out, back legs paralyzed

Post by Abbys mom »

Our 6 year old husky mix had an FCE 2 weeks ago today. She stayed in the hospital for 6 days and has been home with us for 8. Ater about 3 days home she regained control of her bladder and bowel. She still cannot use her back legs but often stretches them out in her sleep and when we lift her to pee she pulls both legs up as if she were squatting. She has no reflex when we tickle her toes. I have contacted a local animal chiropractor and am calling a holistic center about acupuncture tomorrow. I just purchased the rear harness from this site - we have been using a towel as a sling but it is a little too bulky for me. She is 55 pounds and I'm only 4'10".
Any advice or thoughts on her condition?
Thank you in advance!
cricketsmom

Re: FCE 2 weeks out, back legs paralyzed

Post by cricketsmom »

Hi and welcome!
I have limited experience with this condition, but it sounds like you are on the right track getting her therapy options and a rear harness. It's great that your dog regained control of bladder and bowel and moves her legs a little bit.
She is a pretty big dog. You may even think about getting a dog cart to save your back. Other than just helping with mobility for paralyzed dogs, it can be a good therapy tool to help her legs gain strength if she recovers.
vet tech and pet mom
poohbearsmom

Re: FCE 2 weeks out, back legs paralyzed

Post by poohbearsmom »

She is doing good for two weeks out - hang in there.
It was several weeks before my Poohbear regained bladder control after her FCE.
She was paralyzed in both back legs as well.
Here is a thread that is packed with info on FCEs.
Hope this link works:
http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... f=4&t=9838