Riley's FCE - looking for your experience/advice on recovery

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
riley'smom

Riley's FCE - looking for your experience/advice on recovery

Post by riley'smom »

Hi everyone,

Riley is our Shepherd/boxer mix who is about 5 years old. He was listed as urgent on petfinders and he was going to be put down if someone didn't adopt him. We got him in February and since the day he arrived, he has had one issue after another it seems (it is heartbreaking). He had a bad case of heartworm and they gave him the fast kill method arsenic shots and then shipped him in a van half way across country to us. We didn't know any better and started playing with our new dog and that is the worst possible thing you can do. He should have been crated for weeks after so the worms didn't dislodge (which they did, and he got very sick/depressed). After making it through that and finally gaining weight (you could count every rib and disc in his spine) he then has what the doctor's assume was an FCE 13 days ago. The vet said it was either an FCE or a tumor, but they are going with FCE given his symptoms. Riley was doing great the first 11 days (all things considered). He was smiling, happy, alert. The past two days he has been mopey and depressed and lethargic. We have a team of vets looking after Riley and they all have slightly different takes on his prognosis. All of them are saying don't throw in the towel yet, but it seems that they are not happy with his lack of progress. He has complete paralysis in his back legs and we have to catheter him because he can't be expressed. We put him on medication to relax his bladder so we could express him and not use the catheter, and today is the 7th day he has been on the meds. So far the medication has not made any difference for his bladder.

The most senior vet in the practice suggested that we give Riley 4 weeks to see what he is going to do, and that would take us to May 6. While we are trying to just take things one day at a time, I am beginning to feel like we should be doing something-anything- other than just waiting and seeing and watching Riley get depressed. I would like to know from others if anyone did accupunture and thought it really helped, or physical therapy or underwater treadmills.....I want to try everything but can only afford so much treatment.....we are well past $3K with Riley in 3 months and we were never prepared for that from the get go. It is not about the money, but we only have so much and whatever we do from here on out needs to be our best bet! One vet said P.T. was too early to do, another thought accupuncture might help, and yet another said the underwater treadmill. I'm looking for advice from those of you have lived and breathed it. I really appreciate your time.

Riley's mom
:thankyou:
riley'smom

Re: Riley's FCE - looking for your experience/advice on reco

Post by riley'smom »

I don't mean to reply to my own post, but had to let you all know that tonight we didn't have to put the catheter in as far as we have been and the urine was flowing out without having to press down on his bladder. This is a first! His spirits were high tonight too. Can't wait to tell the vet tomorrow. Funny what can make you excited when you have an FCE dog. :lol:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Which bladder med/s are you giving him? Personally, I'd consider hydrotherapy (swimming). There are loads of hints around this board about how to save money with stuff, including making your own. Swimming can be done in a pool, natural body of water, etc, but I'd always use a life jacket, just in case.
riley'smom

Post by riley'smom »

Hi Critters,

Riley is on phenoxybenzamine and another medicine that I can't remember that works with that. I really liked the hydrotherapy thought myself.....it seems that could be a great way to get his rear legs "moving" to me.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi riley'smom,

That is totally a huge relief about the bladder. I am so glad it got a little easier. Woohoo!

I just had an unimaginably huge pet bill during the holidays, so I know what you mean, you have spent till it hurts and you're kind of in shock. You don't have to apologize if the thought of spending any more makes you hesitate, you've already gone above and beyond for your dog, but I think in the end you'll be glad you did. I was waiting to respond hoping that someone with an FCE dog would reply, and hopefully they still will. My understanding is, with an FCE all the damage that is going to be done, is already done during the first 24 or 48 hours, and there is no need to rest the dog beyond that. In fact, aggressive physical therapy is what they recommend for FCE. This is exactly the opposite of a disk injury, where they say to rest the dog. With FCE, I have always understood you should start doing PT with the dog after the first couple of days. So, physical therapy can be professional, such as the underwater treadmill, but it can also be done at home, and if I just went through $3000 unexpectedly, I would hesitate to spend a whole bunch more on professional therapy. It's wonderful if you can afford it, but there is plenty you can do at home. Please check with your vet before doing any of this.

Number one is, get a rear harness or something to support your dog in a standing position (some kind of harness or sling you like and that does not annoy you or seem hard to use--this part is important, because this is about you, too) and let him practice standing. It does not matter if you have to support all his weight, what you are doing is getting him in a standing position with his legs down, some circulation, and this should fire the impulse to use the hind legs even if he isn't bearing weight and even if the signals don't seem to go all the way through. If he is bearing even a teeny tiny bit of weight, that is fantastic, and it will only get better with practice. Place his paws in the correct pads-down position. Let him feel, or try to feel his paws on the floor. You can even have one person support him, and the other person scuff or rub his paw pads on the floor for stimulus. You're thinking, that doesn't sound like much therapy, but as simple as it is, that is therapy. This may take 2 of you, one to support him and one to fix his feet, but help him take a few steps, correcting his feet for him. If he just drags his toes, it's OK, you expect that, fix them for him. One leg is likely to do better than the other. Here's the thing, as it was explained to me. He needs to "remap" the neurological pathway from his brain to his toes. Exercise is going to fire the signals from the brain, and stimulating his feet is going to help target those signals. Moving his legs in a walking position (one person supporting him and the other helping him take steps) will use the muscles involved, and fire more signals. It's all good. Two of our moderators here are animal physical therapists, maybe someone will explain it better.

So...you've got a big dog and there's a limit to how much you can move him around. I would get him up 3 times a day and walk him a few feet if you can, or more if you are able. Everything you do is going to help. Now, there is also exercise you can do without having to lift him a bit, and this can be done as often during the day as you are able. With him lying on his side, you can bicycle his legs through the full range of motion. Set yourself a number of reps you want to do, and do that many. Figure out how many times a day you want to bicycle his legs, and do your sets of reps that many times a day. Other exercises you can do, with him lying down include massaging his legs and stimulating his feet. Rub his feet, squeeze his paws, dig your fingers between his toes. I did "This little piggy" with my dog and she thought it was funny. Again, you are stimulating the feet, giving the brain some feedback to work with, and the more the better. If you can walk him a few steps 3 times a day, and do the massage and tickle several times a day, that will be good therapy and won't cost anything (except the price of a decent harness that you can work with).

You can also walk your dog by grasping the base of the tail to help support the hind end. To me this seemed kind of hard on the tail, we are always told not to pull an animal's tail when we are kids growing up, but it is commonly done in physical therapy and as far as I can tell with my dog, it produces slightly better walking compared to using a sling. It would be easier on the tail and your back if your dog is to the place where he can partly bear weight.

Another exercise my dog's therapist suggested was something called "Scratch all over". Exactly what it sounds like, you scratch your dog in all his favorite itchy places really good, and he may try to kick his hind foot in response. Even if he doesn't, he will enjoy this exercise. :wink: Yup, that's physical therapy, scratching him all over.

Another really good exercise that can be done lying down is resistance. Put the palm of your hand on the bottom of his foot and press a little, see if he'll push back. I would do this every day. This is great exercise for him and will not hurt your back.

Going back to standing exercises, one family here was told to support their dog with a harness and bounce their dog on a mini trampoline. My dog's physical therapist told me to do an exercise pressing down on the hips. I could not figure out how it would work at first...what was the point of pressing down on the hips with my dog in a standing position if my dog can't stand, but I did it anyway and eventually sort of understood. I had to hold her up under the belly in order to keep her standing so I could press down on her hips, press, press, press, lightly.

Another exercise you can do at home is with a big ball. Do you have a medicine ball or yoga ball the right size? If you do, you can drape your dog's belly over the ball with his front feet off the ground and his hind feet on the ground. Now steady him so he doesn't slide off, and roll the ball forward just enough to bring his hind feet off the ground. This is supposed to stimulate the impulse to stretch the toes to try to get the hind feet back on the ground.

Of course later, when the weather is warm enough, you might consider getting one of those backyard pools, it turns out they are not that expensive. Personally I would have a hard time getting a big dog into one, so this is just an idea, if it sounds hard I would skip it. But for now I would just do the exercises you can. All of the lying down exercises every day. As many standing exercises (stand, place feet, take steps, bounce) as you can. It will all help. Also, if you are able to sling walk him out to the yard without killing yourself, they suggest taking the dog to his favorite marking spot where he likes to sniff and lift his leg, as this, too, can cause familiar nerves to fire or try to fire.

Some other ideas are contained in this article.
https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Physical_therapy_for_paralysis

You probably already know this, but just to be sure, I can tell you it's better not to expect him to just kind of "snap out of it" suddenly, as recovery from paralysis is by baby steps, but all those steps add up and pretty soon you have a much improved dog. :D My motto is, "a slow recovery is still a recovery!" You see him move his foot the tiniest bit, you feel him try to bear a tiny bit of weight, and little by little it gets better and better. Two weeks is such a small time, and 4 weeks is short, also. Nerves heal, but they do it slowly. His nerves are healing a tiny bit more every day, even though he looks much the same. If you have a chance, I hope you will read some of the other stories of FCE on this board, there are thousands of posts on the subject.
kbaer11

Post by kbaer11 »

Hi! I am so sorry that you're going through this. It's heartbreaking and I also know what you mean about cost. Treatment adds up so fast and while it isn't about money, it unfortunately quickly becomes a factor. I have a miniature schnauzer that had an FCE this past January. We did physical therapy, acupuncture, and underwater treadmill. I think all of it helped. However, I honestly think the work we did with her at home was the most important. She was initially paralyzed in all four limbs. The front left came back within two weeks and the back two slowly regained strength. She still hasn't regained movement in the front right. The vet emphasized the importance of passive range of motion exercises from the very beginning. We bent and straightened each leg from the joints in the paw to the knees and did 10 repetitions, at least 3 times a day. We are still doing this with her front right one. We also did bicycle type movements with her legs. We also would place her in the most normal laying position with paws under her. At first, we had to prop towels on either side to keep her up, but then she regained the strength in her core muscles and paws. As her legs came back, we worked on crawling towards us on a mat. I would ask your vet for specific exercises like this b/c each dog is different and the exercises changed as time went on. This is where physical therapy helped a lot. She gave us exercises to do at home. However, we were going in once a week and the exercises didn't always change week to week. Another thing that helped at home was getting the sling. Before Bailey could hold her own weight again and balance, she could do a walking motion with her legs and we held up her weight with the sling. She seemed to gain strength really quickly once we did this! She is now walking on three legs. She is still a bit wobbly, but doing really great! It has been completely worth it even if this is the strongest she gets. She now enjoys walking around outside and sniffing things and following me around the house. It was discouraging for several weeks! I think a 4 week time limit might be premature. She made the most progress at 6 weeks and it varies with each dog. Good luck! It sounds like you have already done so much for this dog! Riley is lucky to have you! Let me know if you have any specific questions and read through FCE posts on this site. They were so helpful and encouraging for us!
poohbearsmom

Post by poohbearsmom »

My Poohbear suffered a FCE and was paralyzed in both hind legs.
I think the under water treadmill and her phsical therapist is what eventually got her walking again.
Here is a link with LOTS of information if you have time to sort through it all.
Hope this link works:
http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... f=4&t=9838
riley'smom

Post by riley'smom »

Thank you everyone for the great advice and encouragment, and mostly for taking the time to respond, which really is helping more than I can tell you. Ever since his first day we fashioned a harness that works great and is easy to get him in/out of. It is actually a dog sweater for cold weather and we just put his back legs in where the front legs are supposed to go and then instead of velcroing him in it, we use the two halves as handles. I know that is likely not making sense, but it works great. We "walk" him numerous times a day. He loves the freedom and really gets moving quite fast. He jumps on furniture (with our assistance with hind end). The most we were doing were the bicycles just moving his legs back and forth. I love the tips that you gave us Carol -- we started incorporating many of them. Thank you for taking the time to share so much information!!! We also have an exercise ball that I want to start him on next. I don't understand why the vet said to hold of on physical therapy -- it seems that everything I hear and read states that it is a good thing.

Bailey's mom - thank you for sharing your story. I told my husband what you said about six weeks before you saw the most recovery and I think we are both prepared to keep going longer than the suggested 4 week wait and see that was suggested. Your story is encouraging for sure.

Poohbear's mom - thank you for the link and your suggestions. I really do want to try the water treadmill. We have an inground pool that will be great for him to use when it gets warmer -- unfortunately in NH we are not quite ready for swimming weather yet! It seems that PT of any kind is the way to go.

:thankyou:
CLAMBRIGHT

Post by CLAMBRIGHT »

I Just wanted to say I found this post and the advice within very helpful. Our 5 year old Sheltie
Karma had a FCE stroke early this morning that has affected her back right leg totally, and some in her left back leg as well.
This happened so suddenly,as Im learning these things do. Karma is a therapy dog and works with nursing homes and children to help
rehab others,and now it appears she is the one who will be needing the help. We love her dearly
And are ready to help her anyway we can. Karma comes home from the vet tomorrow. I'm sure I will be living on this site and looking for as much
Help and support as possible. I am very encouraged at what i have seen so far. Our whole family is ready to do whatever we can to help
Karma regain as much of her mobility as possible.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

riley'smom wrote:Ever since his first day we fashioned a harness that works great and is easy to get him in/out of. It is actually a dog sweater for cold weather and we just put his back legs in where the front legs are supposed to go and then instead of velcroing him in it, we use the two halves as handles. I know that is likely not making sense, but it works great.
Actually, yeah, it does make sense! It is clever :smart: and reminds me a little of the Sir Lyon Puff sling!

http://www.freewebs.com/dmroster/lyonpuff.html
( http://www.lyonpuffpetsit.com/htmlslp/sling.html )