Haley Bop

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
KimK

Haley Bop

Post by KimK »

It's been awhile since I've posted...but I do check in every month to see how everyone is doing. Unfortunately, I feel the need to post again, the Bop has re-injured her back. She had a herniated disk back in February of 2008, and recovered well. Living with a "special needs dog" for the past 3 years has been joyous, frustrating, rewarding, exasperating, happy and sad. Now she is back on crate rest, and the ordeal begins again for us. For the past few years Haley has been doing wonderful, getting along well, playing, eating, etc. She still has some definitive deficits, some incontinence with urine, and needs to be expressed of both urine and feces. She can only eat boiled rice and chicken, mixed with a small amount of kibble...anything else (and I mean anything) causes explosive diarrhea, NOT fun. Now with her injured again, she looks at me with those big sad eyes, and I break into tears. She was so happy before...I can only hope and pray that it turns out as well as it did last time. We're back to coaxing her to eating small bites of food, when she's hurting, she refuses to eat. She's taking pain meds...we have an appointment tomorrow to get her back on steroids to reduce any inflammation. Hopefully, everything will turn out well, pray for us!
riley'smom

Re: Haley Bop

Post by riley'smom »

I'm sorry to hear about Haley Bop! I think you expressed what living with a special needs dog is like very well! Can't help but notice you put joyous in front of frustrating, rewarding in front of exasperating, and happy in front of sad. I read that to mean there is more positive than negative. I know the big sad eyes thing and that is so devasting for me to deal with as well. As long as Riley looks happy I am fine....the minute he turns sad I get very upset and anxious. Riley was completely miserable a few days ago and last night broke out into a smile that keeps returning. Hang in there.....Haley Bop sounds like a strong and most loved dog....that is half the battle in my book.

:wub:
FYI

Pictures of Haley Bop

Post by FYI »

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh, bless her little heart. :( I'm so sorry to hear her back is bothering her again. I suppose the only good thing is, you are already an expert in this type of care, but it's hard to see her feeling down. Hopefully she'll be more comfortable quickly. I guess she already understands the treatment from last time. Is the disk in the same area...can you tell...the same spot? Please give her an extra special pat from me.
:angel:
kristenv

Post by kristenv »

Hi Kim,
I remember Haley Bop...... she is a beauty!! I am sorry that she is going through another bought with her back. It sounds as if you identified this quickly though and that is so important in setting her up for a successful recovery. I don't know if there has been any significant weather changes in your area, but I find with my IVDD guy that weather changes can trigger an episode for him. In that situation meds and crate rest seem to do the trick, although it always feels like we are taking a step backwards when this occurs, and it is hard not to worry seeing your baby back on crate rest and wondering about the outcome.
Thoughts of healing for you and Haley Bop....
Kristen, Samy, and Dottie
Jenner, Alex, BB
4 epsiodes of IVDD for Samy: Surgery x2 , crate rest x2 still going strong
Dottie no IVDD
Rory no IVDD (at the bridge)
KimK

Post by KimK »

Hello all, just wanted to give you an update on the Bop. She's out of pain, and anxious to get out of her crate! Everytime I walk by she jumps up and bounces on her front legs, wanting out. Hard to believe we still have 3 more weeks of keeping her in there, but I'm pretty firm about keeping her in it! We had such good results the first time (3 years of no pain), I'm not willing to risk anything less! Her appetite has picked up again, but now...bladder infection. It's hard to fully express the bladder when she's crying in pain :( . Vet put her on Clavamox...she's used Baytril before with better, faster results, but it's hard on her already compromised digestive tract! Thanks everyone for your support and input!
riley'smom

Post by riley'smom »

Just wanted to say that Haley Bop is such a cutie patootie!! Glad to hear she is doing better, minus the pesky bladder infection! :D