Having problems with Web Master Harness

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Lucys human

Having problems with Web Master Harness

Post by Lucys human »

I am feeling very thick and stupid :oops: , my dogs have worn harnesses for years but i have been trying and failing all weekend to get Lucy comfortable in the Eurohike harnees i got her :(

The eurohike is no longer made but it was a version of the web master harness, the only 2 differences from the web master is the padding on the belly and chest straps is slightly different and where the 3 straps join on the chest it is a plastic triangle instead of webbing. I got Lucy's harness off ebay UK for a bargain price but as it didn't have it's labels no instructions :(

I either seem to get it too neat for her too lie comfortably in or it's too loose and as my Lucy likes to lie on her back and let it all hang out the harness seems to be uncomfortable on her and she's only had it on for short periods.

What am i doing wrong :?

A very embarrassed Gail :oops:
CarolC

Re: Having problems with Web Master Harness

Post by CarolC »

Hi Gail,

If you've fitted harnesses for years you're probably adjusting it right, I would think? Could it perhaps have the scent of the previous dog on it, which she doesn't like? :? When you search Google images there are some pics of a dog in the Eurohike harness, if you want to compare how they fit it for their dog. I imagine rolling on her back will feel different since it has the handle on top, maybe she just needs to get used to it? :)
Lucys human

Post by Lucys human »

Thank you for your reply Carol.

The harness didn't look like it had been on a dog (no hairs) and my other dogs didn't pay it any attention, think it had been chucked in a drawer and forgotten about.

I think your right about her having to get used to it while lounging, she is fine in it while walking and with wearing it in her stroller, it's just the wearing it in the house part that she is objecting too :(

Never thought of searching for images of the eurohike on dogs :oops: thank you for that off to do that now, no i do have it on right.

I guess i'm just getting myself concerned and upset over nothing :oops: :lol:

Lucy does have me wrapped round her little paw .

Carol thank you very much for taking the time to answer my silly question and put my mind at ease that i'm doing things right. It is very much appreciated. I'd be a quivering wreck without this site :trophy:

:thankyou:
HanksMomLisa

Post by HanksMomLisa »

Gail,

Perhaps she is just getting use to a new process. I'm far from an expert on harnesses, but trust your self. It is so hard when our precious pups need help and we aren't figuring it out fast enough. I am sure you will figure this out and Lucy will adjust and be comfortable. I have a hard time adjusting to new methods so I imagine our pups do too. It's the fact that you care so much that will make difference and a solution will present itself!

Take care!
Lisa
Lucys human

Post by Lucys human »

Lisa you got it spot on i do worry that i am not adjusting or learning fast enough.

With Lucy slowly deteriorating it is a constant learning curve and i do worry that i don't learn fast enough to keep her as fit and healthy as possible. Lucy can go down hill and loose muscle tone so quickly i feel like i'm walking a tightrope trying to keep her as well as she can be.
On the upside Lucy managed 5 miles in two 2 and a half mile bursts with a stroller rest inbetween, car had to go to garage (MOT) so the dogs and i walked the 6 miles back through lovely countryside. Days like today and the excitement on Lucy's face at being able to do walks she hasn't done for years make everything worthwhile and my other 2 dogs are loving long walks with Lucy again.

Thank you Lisa for letting me know i'm not alone in how i feel, it really does help. It can be very lonely and frustraing at times.

:thankyou:
Lucys human

Post by Lucys human »

Solved the problem of why Lucy wasn't comfortable in the harness.

She has an infected graze on her chest that i didn't notice. I didn't check her over before i put the harness on her, won't make that mistake again. No excuses as Lucy is short haired so it is easily seen.

Graze not from the harness i think it is from her lyning down out on walks. Lucy finds lying down hard, trying to go from a sit to a down doesn't work for her, her wobbly front legs fold under her. So Lucy finds the best way to lie down is to go into a play bow and then lower her back legs, they sometimes crumple too but it doesn't scare her as much as her front end colapsing under her. The graze is where her chest touches the ground in her play bow. So graze is cleaned, not badly infected but enough for the harness to fell uncomfortable on it. Will be checking her daily for grazes from now on.

Thank you Lisa and Carol for your help and advice.

Gail
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm glad you found it. That's such a perfect description of how she settles! :D
Lucys human

Post by Lucys human »

Thanks Carol.

It's become second nature for me now to break down how Lucy moves, my vet and i must have spent hours going over all Lucy's strange symptoms looking for a diagnosis :lol:

Raided my craft supplies and put sheepskin under the harness on her chest like a protective breastplate and Lucy was happy to keep the harness on now it is more comfy :D
Ordered polar fleece so i can make several breastplates so she have one on all the time she's wearing the harness, will put velcro on them so i easily take them on and off.
That way Lucy's chest will be protected at all times :D