Pug Puppy - Paralysis after Hemivertabrae Op

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Bec&frankie

Pug Puppy - Paralysis after Hemivertabrae Op

Post by Bec&frankie »

Hi Everyone, im looking for some advise on anyone who can help or offer advise with Paralysis and bladder problems after a spinal op.

My pug puppy Frankie was diagnosed with a spinal condition called Hemivertabrae disease, which means he has a curved spine which led him to loose some sensation in his hind legs. This has caused him to walk 'drunk' and finds it difficult to climb stairs and sometimes after a hard day he drags his back legs. Strangely he is fully capable of sprinting around the garden and around fields no problem. After taking him to the vet and having MRI scans we have found out he has a degenative disease called Hemivertabrae disease which is a curve in the spine which may eventually cause full paralysis (the vet believed him to have semi paralysis)

The vet suggested decompression surgery, and on monday he went for his op. After he came round the vet had said he was doing well however after 2 days in recovery the vet phoned to say she was concerned as he had not moved his back legs at all. They have now fitted a catheter as they are saying he is not expressing. When I asked whether he can feel his back legs the vet mentioned that there seems to be some feeling but still concerning his back legs are not moving.

Hes coming home tomorrow and we are so confused and worried sick, the vets wont give us an answer on whats going on - only that it takes time and they cant tell us if they have caused more harm than good. They cant explain why a catheter is on, and whether he has lost the use of his bladder forever.

Friends and family are concerned thats its inhumane to keep a puppy (9 months) on a catheter and putting him down would be more humane. Im devestated. We were under some illusion that he would come round after the op and be back to 'normal'

Does anyone have any advise - does the catheter mean he is paralysed? and will never have the use of his bladder. The vets keep 'beating around the bush' and not telling us the options straight. He was never in pain and has always been a happy boy. He is my world and the thought of considering euthanasia is devasting but im so worried we are being cruel as he is a pup. We both work and I dont know whether looking after a paralysed dog is a 24hr a day responsibility. I can work a couple of days from home but will still be away 9-5 3 days a week.

can anyone offer any advise? Thanks so much in advance for your thought.

Beccy
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Pug Puppy - Paralysis after Hemivertabrae Op

Post by Bobbie »

The catheter may mean he is recovering some ability to hold his urine but can't release it on his own yet. I wouldn't worry, there are meds you can give him to help you express if he ends up needing it.

If he can't feel it the catheter won't bother him. Don't let them guilt you into anything, see how things are when you bring him home. 9-5 isn't bad if you can be home by 5:30, you express first thing when you get home. A cart is not a bad life for a dog, mine has been in one for 71/2 years.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Hi Beccy

I'm Joanne and I have a paralyzed lab named Carl. I adopted Carl in January 2010 when he was already paralyzed - here is his story.

As a puppy Carl was normal. When he was about 8 months old he started getting wobbly in his rear legs. His vet thought it was hip dysplasia but radiographs showed something wrong with his L3 vertebra. He went for a CT, biopsy and decompression surgery and woke up paralyzed. His owners managed him for a while but then couldn't and put him up for adoption, which is where I came in.

For the first month after I adopted Carl I wondered if I would make it and if I had done the right thing. The answer is a resounding YES. Crazy Carl is the most amazing dog - everyone who meets him is charmed by him and he doesn't care that he can't walk, especially when he's in his cart. I have to express Carl as he can't urinate on his own, but that's ok, it takes me about 5 minutes 3 or 4 times a day, no big deal. I too work and there are times when he goes 8 - 9 hours between being expressed. It's not perfect but it is ok, after all, he goes that long during the night with no problem.

Carl is now 4 years old and I have absolutely no regrets - I have a happy, healthy Lab, he just happens to be not able to use his back legs.

Joanne
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
Precious'mom

Post by Precious'mom »

Hi,

Please don't let the advice of family and friends influence your situation. This is your decision completely. but I'm here to let you know paralyzed puppies can have happy, healthy, full lives. I rescued a 10 week old schnauzer puppy from a backyard breeder. My pup was paralyzed from the waist down. We still don't know for sure what she has, but that it's congenital, permanent, and untreatable. Despite all this, she is a happy, healthy, loving baby. She will be 5 years old in January, and has never had a bladder infection and I have never catheterized her to this day. I manually express her by pressing on her bladder three times a day, that keeps her from having accidents, and keeps her from retaining urine that would cause infection. The problem with catheterization is it can risk infection , so it's much better to manually express if you can. I strongly recommend you to getting a second opinion from a vet about possible options for your dog. But I'm just here to let you know paralyzed puppies can lead healthy, insanely happy, full lives. My Precious is a certified therapy dog and we use her disability to educate school children about tolerance and compassion for people and animals with disabilities. She's done a lot of good work!

Good luck with your baby,

Jennifer