My Worst Nightmare

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CarolC

Re: My Worst Nightmare

Post by CarolC »

I was just thinking, I don't know if this applies to boxers, but with dachshunds they recommend that they not be allowed to go up and down steps after they have recovered from disk surgery...kind of a permanent restriction. Dachshunds have longer backs and shorter legs so that's why I'm not sure the same advice applies. I think part of it is to avoid a new injury to a different disk, since a small percentage develop a problem with another disk later. Maybe you could check with her physical therapist just to be on the safe side? This is still just so wonderful!!
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Fantastic News for you both!! What a Fab. Duo you make:)

Sorry, I have been AWOL, had some issues to deal with in the UK but lovely news to come home too.

My Duchess has had a couple of UTI's since we last spoke but doing well again on the antibiotics.

Sharon x
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Hi Carol. As I mentioned, Talulla is still going to therapy and has started walking on an incline of the treadmill. Her therapist told us it is ok for her to walk on the stairs now AS LONG AS SHE IS SUPPORTED IN THE REAR END! I guess Talulla does not think she need the support though which is the problem. Now I have to block the stairs whenever we leave her by herself. But even that isn't always successful. We tried that yesterday, and she just moved the blockade. Made it upstairs again! We have to go out now and by a gate. I'll take this problem any day though. She is a true success story! Thanks for the response, Carol! Ricky

Hi Sharon. Nice to hear from you. Thanks for all the well wishes. Talulla was finally able to shake her UTI's so I know what you are going through with Dutchess. She had her for 3 months and those meds can be really expensive. Hope all is well accross the pond! It's been so warm over here that it doesn't even feel like winter! Take care! Ricky
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Hi everyone. Happy Spring! It's been just about 7 months since Talulla's surgery and recovery. It has been a long road and we are not finished yet. Talulla can walk and run on her own now, but she still has alot of weakness in her rear. The hardest part for her right now is going to the bathroom. She lost lots of muscle tone when she was down and has really not gotten alot of it back, so she's not great at "doing her buisness" without the help of rear end sling. She may never get her muscle tone back, but that's ok. She has adapted very well to her "disability" and pretty much ignores it (as best she can). I'm hoping that with the warmer weather and the longer and more frequent walks, she will continue to grow stronger. I hope all is well with everyone. Have a great Spring! Ricky
Christine

Post by Christine »

:grouph: Playing the theme to Rocky here. Good work, everyone!! :wub:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Hi all. Haven't posted in a while and just wanted to keep in touch. Talulla is doing well, but still gets bouts of those #### UTI's. Seems like she is always on some sort of antibiotics! With the warmer weather, were are now able to go for longer walks which she enjoys. We have even been going to a duck park which she REALLY enjoys. Talulla has just started her second round of anabolic steroid injections to help improve her muscle mass in her rear. Although she is walking and able to climb steps on her own, she is still weak in her rear. She probably always will be, but that's fine. She has adjusted really well to her limitations-better than I have! I hope everyone is having a great spring, and to all those who are new here and are now going through what seems like a special kind of ####, keep the faith and never give up! That's what I was told early on. I know it's easier said than done, but staying positive around your pet is so important. Best wishes! Ricky
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Ricky!

Thanks for the update - it's good to hear from you. Just curious...has your vet ever done the procedure where they take a urine sample with a needle directly from her bladder? Some bacteria are resistant to certain antibiotics and they might need to go the extra step to find which one it is. (Our experts here know more about this than I do.)

Also, here is a natural product that I tried years ago that might help. (A good friend is a clinical nutritionist, a pet lover and owns a health food store and she recommended it.) POerhaps you can check with the vet to make sure it does not interfere with anything she is taking. http://www.nativeremedies.com/petalive/ ... ealth.html

Take care.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Maggie07

Post by Maggie07 »

Hi Ricky,
So glad to hear Talulla is doing well! Our little Maggie is just past 8 weeks post-op and still no DPS and no movement. You're right about it being easier said than done! But, Talulla's story is my inspiration and I try to remain positive that Maggie will be better one day.
I hope you get that UTI under control. We just got rid of one, but it's definitely something I worry about every day!
Thanks for the update!
Briana
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Hi everyone. Merry Christmas! Just checking in with an update on Talulla. She is doing really well. We finally got her UTI under control. She is up and running around, although a little lopsided! All in all, she has adjusted well to her limitations. I hope you all have a great holiday season. You and your pets remain in my prayers. Ricky
Maggie07

Post by Maggie07 »

That is so great! I am glad she is doing well. Despite being paralyzed, our little Maggie is doing great too! So full of energy!
Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday as well!