My Worst Nightmare

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Ricky35

My Worst Nightmare

Post by Ricky35 »

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board and seeking a little help and guidance. Last week, my 6 year old Boxer, Talulla, went in for disc surgery. What I was told would be a routine operation has turned out to be anything but. My best buddy is now paralyzed in her hind section and is given a 50-50 chance of walking again. She is currently in rehab and will be there for at least another 10 days. I know I'm not alone as many of you guys are now careing for your best friends with issues such as this. I will do anything that needs to be done to care for Talulla if she is indeed unable to walk again. It seems that the biggest problem will be helping her go to the bathroom as she now has no control over these functions. I'm told that I will be shown how to help her with this, but I'm really concerned that I'm I'm going to screw it up. Since many of you have unfortunately been placed in this same situation, I was hoping that you could give me a little advice. Like I also mentioned, I have also been told that she may in fact regain her ability to walk again, but that it could take weeks or even months before any improvement is noticed. I was also wondering if anyone here has experienced this type of outcome.Sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to get as much information as possible to help Talulla. Thanks for listening. Ricky T.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: My Worst Nightmare

Post by Bobbie »

Well, the best I can say is that the worst has not happened- your dog is alive and will be well, paraplegic or not. I have two dog's in carts, one after failed surgery, the other never had the surgery. Both need expressing, which is easy and convenient. In the house they can pull themselves around, in carts they are like any other dog. Neither one has had problems with UTIs,

What to do to rehab is somewhat controversial, but I am a proponent of getting a cart soon, and then control his use of it so he can't get hurt. That means on leash walking while he is recovering. Do swimming or underwater treadmill if you can, a good rehab place may get him walking even if surgery does not work immediately. Walking in a cart is good rehab, too, but again, make sure he can't just race around and get hurt. Time enough for that if he stabilizes still needing a cart.

Make sure you don't let him get drag sores, they are very hard to heal. Again, getting into a cart helps prevent that. Inside monitor his movements, if he is dragging himself fast enough to get rug burns don't let him, confine him to a smaller area. Whether this happens depends on your floors and your dog and how fast he moves. One of mine has very little fur underneath and can easily get hurt, the other is fine as long as his feet are protected.

Oh, yes, and protect his feet in a cart. Get some boots to protect the tops and toes from dragging and allow him to still place his foot, if he is using it at all.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Thanks for the input, Bobbie. You're right. She is alive and well (just a little confused about the whole situation.) Like I mentioned, I'm in this for the long haul and willing to do whatever is necessary. I'm glad you brought up the matter of her getting around while indoors. I'm still a little concerned about that. How do dogs with paralysis in their rear legs get around while indoors? I'm also really worried that she may cause harm to herself when no one is around. I guess once she gets home we'll have a better grasp on how she is able to deal with her new challange. Thanks again for the response.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

They just sort of drag themselves, it looks something like when a dog scoots on the carpet or ground trying to clear it's anal glands. Some do it in a sitting position like that, others might have their legs more behind them. It looks pathetic when you first see it but the dog won't mind at all or have any trouble getting around. My corgis do use carts inside, too, but most big dogs don't. Joanne will probably comment sooner or later on her paraplegic Lab, Carl and may have a video of him dragging inside.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Thanks for the info. I know I have a lot of learning to do. I expect to be visiting here often. Best of luck to you.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I would recommend talking to the rehab place about scheduling you for visits to practice expressing beginning now. They are expressing several times a day, and at least once a day if you can be there to practice it yourself it will be very helpful. I would take advantage of the rehab situation and begin getting instruction now, daily if possible, rather than simply getting instructions on the day you take her home, like I did. If you get home and find you are not getting the results you wish, you will look back at those 10 days she was in rehab and kick yourself for not taking advantage of the training you might have had. If you go there for a lesson and get good results, you may not need to go every day, but at least you will feel like you know what you're doing when you are at home with her solo. If you try it and find you need more practice it's easier on you and your dog to get that practice now, rather than after rehab when you have to load her in the car and drive her someplace for assistance. When my dog had surgery, I was given brief verbal instructions which basically consisted of a vet tech waving her hands around in the air to demonstrate, and me nodding like I was "getting it", and we didn't even have my post-surgical dog out of her carrier where she was put for checking out of the hospital. I had never even seen it done. Many people are given a live demonstration by the vet, which is better but still not the same as doing it yourself. We all learn sooner or later, but why do it the hard way, under pressure alone with her at home, when you can do it now with people to train you, and you don't have to drive her anywhere. Can you tell I'm saying, don't do it like I did? :wink:

Here is an article with video links at the bottom which will help.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Hi Carol. That is actually a really good idea. My vet told me he would instruct us on how to express her, but you're right. Why wait till the last day when I know I'm going to have thousands of other questions. Talulla is on her 5th day of rehab toady and will most likely be scheduled for another week. I'm still trying to absorb all that has happened this past week, so any tips I get are greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Hi Ricky

I'm Joanne and I have 2 paralyzed dogs, a corgi named Teddy and a Lab named Carl, both adopted when they were down. Talulla's story sounds similar to Carls. He went in for a biopsy of a suspicious area in one of his vertebrae and woke up paralyzed. His owners managed him for a year before they put him up for adoption. I consider myself to be the luckiest person in the world because Carl is an amazing dog :-)

So ... The first couple of months I had Carl there were times that I thought I would not be able to manage. Carl has an upper motor neuron bladder so can't urinate or defecate voluntarily but boy, if he gets excited can he pee!! I can't tell you how many hours I spent cleaning my floors and Carl until I figured out the right type of diaper and then the wrap that kept it snugly in place. Once I got everything in place life was, and is, good.

I would talk to the folks at the rehab center, go visit and learn how to express Talulla before she comes home. It may seem daunting at first but will soon be second nature. I would also start stimulating Tallulla to defecate as if a big dog poops and drags in it it makes a huge mess. I use a q-tip with some vaseline on it, that I insert a short way into his anus and twirl round. I collect his poop in paper towels twice a day and then have no worries about accidents in the house.

As for getting round indoors ... Carl is 4 years old and is nuts! He can pull himself round using his front legs as fast as my other dogs can run on 4 legs. If Talulla is in any way as active you'll have your work cut out! Indoors both Carl and Teddy pull themselves round on their front legs (carts are too big for my house). I have carpet and laminates and have never had any problems with lesions on their feet, although both came with foot trauma that healed with appropriate managing.

With carts there are an increasing number available. There are differences between them (e.g. soft versus hard saddles, rubber vs pneumatic tires). People (manufacturers, vets and owners) get very passionate about carts. Despite what you may hear there is no best/right/perfect cart, just the one that best fits Talulla and you. If she needs one I can give you a list along with some questions to think about.

Will there be bumps in the road - yes, but it's ok. I have had to deal with UTI's and lesions on feet when Carl got past me and ran round the yard. I feel bad but Carl doesn't care, he thinks life is great which is all that matters. I have some video and photos of Carl in action - I'll find and post them later.

regards
Joanne
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Hi Joanne. Thanks for your input. It's been 8 days since my pup's surgery and things have pretty much gone down hill. I just got back from the hospital. My heart is broken. Tulalla doesn't even look like herself anymore. She was always so happy, no matter what the situation. Even right after the surgery she seemed like my same old girl. Today she was just lying on a blanket, looking so sad. She has developed really bad sores on her bottom-to the point where they are bleeding. I am supposed to leave her there for rehab for another week but I am seriously considering taking her home with me tomorrow. She still has absolutely no movement or feeling in her legs, but the vet is still telling me there is a chance she will walk again. I don't know if he is stringing me along or not. I felt so terrible tonight when I left her in that hospital that I cried on the drive home. I'm really at a loss right now. Talulla walked into that place, now I will have to carry her out. What a mess. Thanks for listening. Ricky
Last edited by Ricky35 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I vote bring her home. They should not be letting her get pressure sores. What are they doing for rehab if she can't move? You could be doing whatever it is at home.
Bobbie Mayer
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

I'm so sorry to hear about Talulla going downhill like this. Like Bobbie, my instinct would be to bring her home - you really need to get a handle on and work with the pressure damage that it sounds like she has, and I bet she will brighten up when she's home. Regaining function and movement in her legs won't happen overnight, it may be weeks before you see any change, if you do at all. Carl has been down over 2 years, but I still see small changes even now. There are exercises that you can do at home that will help, the rehab center Talulla is at should discharge you with a list of their recommendations.

If you bring talulla home make sure you have thick, padded bed for her, something like memory foam, an air mattress or an egg crate orthopedic bed. She needs to be kept really clean and dry and if the skin on her bottom is broken (likely over the ischium, the bone at the back of her pelvis) you need to get all pressure off the area so it can heal, a small rubber ring should do the trick. It's also important to turn her over frequently so there is no one area of skin that has prolonged pressure on it.

I have to dash out this am, but will check in later to see how you are doing.

joanne
Joanne
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)

Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

I've made the decision that Talulla will be coming home with me. I'm not doing the other week of therapy at the hospital like they want me to do. I know I can give her the extra care she needs at home. I'm going out later to get the supplies that I need, then I'm going to make the house "Talulla friendly". I actually feel better knowing that I've made this decision. Thanks for all the support that you guys have shown. It really helps speaking with people who have or are going through this type of thing. I'll be back to let you know how things are going. Best wishes to all. Ricky
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

One other thing - no matter how sad/bad you feel be really up beat and happy when you bring Talulla home. It may take a while for her to adapt or she may come home and start right where she left off, just not using her legs! Try to go about your daily routine as normal and have the same expectations of her as you always have had, just modified due to her new needs.

Also, ask the vet at the rehab center about how much activity Talulla can have and how much she still needs to rest after surgery.

Here are a few videos of "Crazy Carl" In the first you can see how he moves round indoors. I have now replaced my carpets with laminates and he is able to move even faster! You can also see how he can sometimes stand up (this started over a year post paralysis). The second is of Carl in the snow last year. Carts and snow don't go well, so I devised a kind of skid system, wrapping soft pipe insulation round his legs, then putting them in plastic bags. As you can see (and hear) he had a blast. The final video is pretty self explanatory, if embarrassing! Carl loves life :-)

Joanne
Joanne
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)

Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh my goodness, Joanne.... that dog is absolutely filled with joy and that joy is infectious!! I can just imagine that both he and Teddy keep everyone on their toes. You have done such a wonderful job with all of them and gives encouragement to other.

Welcome, Ricky. We are all here for you and you just heard from some of the most knowlegeable people in our group with years of hands on experience. Looking forward to hearing more about your Tallulah as she heals and adjusts. We'd love to see a picture of her.

Be sure to come back as often as you like and ask anything. One day, you will be sharing your new found knowlege and experience with the next person.

:welcomepink:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Ricky35

Post by Ricky35 »

Wow Joanne! Seeing Carl really gives me hope. I hope that Talulla will be able to adjust like him! Right now, Im just really concerned about taking care of her when she gets home. I want to make sure that everything that I need to do to care for her is done properly. I don't want to cause any more harm to her. I guess that's a pretty common concern though.

Bobbie. I just got back from the vet. I told them that she'll be coming home with me on Monday. If need be, I can transport her to rehab a couple of times a week. I know she'll be happier at home. And so will we.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Christine. You can bet I'll be coming back to this site often.