Intro: Bubby's Journey

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
zolla

Intro: Bubby's Journey

Post by zolla »

I am so excited to find this forum of people like us!!! My husband and I have been caring for Bubby for 2 years now. She is a 8 year old Australian Shepherd/Lab mix and a total sweet pea. She loves people, especially babies, and cannot rest until she has greeted everyone in the room.

She was hit by a car and required 4 surgeries to her hind legs and hips. ($8,000 - I mention this only so that others know they are not alone when spending a lot. We could have bought a nice car, but we decided to save a life instead. I think we got the better deal.) None of her internal organs were injured, just her bones, which the doctor was able to put back together. She has strength and feeling in her back legs, and she can stand for a few seconds with support, but she is wobbly, and she cannot support her back end long enough to walk. We assume that spinal trauma is the reason why she has not walked again, but the doctors are puzzled. We are still waiting for a miracle, but in the meantime, have seen more positives come from this than negatives. It has been worth it.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning from your wisdom!!!

Here are some things we have learned:

1) When things get hard, be patient, and get creative: I can't tell you how many times we have run into a road block and beat our heads against the wall in frustration, only to find a solution a few days or weeks later.

2) Two words: Vinyl flooring: We wrestled with washing carpet runners for over a year before discovering vinyl flooring. We taped it on top of our wood floors with waterproof tape in the areas where she goes. It provides her plenty of traction to get around, even better than the carpet, and it wipes clean. We use towels to wipe up urine, then clean with murphy's oil soap. Wet wipes are a quick clean up after poop. It's about $1 per square foot at any big hardware store.

3) Tear out the carpet: If there is incontenence, forget carpeting. Save yourself a bunch of headaches by getting rid of it now. It will be worth the investment. If you can't afford it, save for it, and console yourself in knowing that it's coming soon when you look at your carpet stains. Do-it-yourself is much cheaper. I installed our laminate wood floors by myself, and I'm a girl.

3) We ditched the diapers: This is not for everyone, but as long as the poop is solid, it cleans up very easily off wood floors with a piece of toilet paper and a wet wipe. Once you learn how to express pee, this also becomes pretty routine. Bubby has learned to hold her pee until we express and I'm sure she likes this better than sitting in it. Diapers are messy on a dog unless you shave down there. Haven't had the guts yet. I'm still willing to try them again if there is a different design, and something affordable.

4) Don't freak out about the smell: I used to freak out about it when I couldn't find the source, but then I realized it is usually coming from her. We keep wet wipes and cleaners handy. Also, I keep her towels and shampoo by the door. I normally clean her on the front porch which is easier than trying to get her into the bathtub. Favorite smell busters are murphy's oil soap, insense and baby powder. We also bathe her back end at least twice a week, or whenever she needs it.

5) People will respect you, but secretly think you are crazy: We don't tell many people how much money we spent and describing how you express your dog doesn't fit into polite conversation, but we are used to being thought weird, so it's ok. It took me awhile to relax about not having a normal house. But, your true friends will like you anyway. Don't worry about the ones that don't matter.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure a lot of this has already been shared, but I'm just so excited about having someone to talk to. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Things we are still trying to figure out:

1) Easier ways to keep her clean - waterless soap? Someone mentioned banana cream? Is the baby powder bad for her? It's going to be harder to bathe her this winter. Any suggestions? Does shaving help?

2) Dog door and going outside: We have a dog door which she used to use, and would love for her to be able to use it again. She can get part way through, but is unable to drag her legs through. Has anyone solved this? This would be a big deal if we could solve it, as my husband and I are gone all day and hate that she has to hold it that long. I can't imagine leaving her outside. She would hate it. She has always been an indoor dog.

3) Weight problem: She doesn't like to use her cart much anymore, and is not getting enough exercise, so she has a bit of a weight problem. She's been on diet food and green beans for months, but it doesn't seem to be helping. We take her to water therapy when we can afford it. I think if we could get her weight down we could get her interested in the cart again.
Christine

Re: Intro: Bubby's Journey

Post by Christine »

Hi Zolla!

so glad you found us and hope you will stick around to share more of your wisdom! I like you already!!

Thinking about your questions, and there is something in the back of my mind about baby powder. I will be back if I find it.

:welcomeheart:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
jed

Post by jed »

Hi Zolla,
Some nice little tips you've shared, :thankyou: and welcome to you and Bubby
zolla

Post by zolla »

Thanks! Glad to be here. :D
Lucys human

Post by Lucys human »

Hi Zolla

Welcome to the forum.

You raised a lot of interesting points and i have taken notes as i am adopting a paralysed dog :thankyou:

I already have a disabled dog (Lucy) but she has a degenerative neurological condition so i still have things to learn to meet the needs of my new girl who will come to me in January, she is currently in Romania and cannot enter the uk till january.

I agree with you with the vinyl or as we brits call it lino even my Lucy who has a deformed foot on top of her neurological problem and trips over fresh air can get some traction on it.

My Lucy is on steroids which hacve helped her to regain more control over her movements and thus be more mobile but it makes her constantly hungry too. I have a selection of brain training games that i use with Lucy and my 2 able bodied dogs and i also hide treats inside small boxes and toilet roll inners, there is no such thing as a free treat in my house anymore :lol: iI use tiny pieces of jerky, it is amazing how much effort my 3 put in for such a tiny reward but they only get jerky this way so they think it is a great game and it also tires them out mentally.

hth

Gail
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi Zolla, welcome from me too.

Thanks for sharing your Tips and love your Avatar!

I have 3 dogs, the 11 year old Pug has been paralyzed in the back legs for 18 months although the right one is on the move! Her Brother has just been dx'e with hip dysplasia and on Rimadyl.

Re: the Talc. I read that it is harmful for their Lungs? I use a dry shampoo which works great and now the weather is on the turn in Spain I am grateful for it.

Duchess (the paralyzed one) has been diagnosed with a bladder full of stones so on Hills Stone Dissolving food, poor Girl. Have to say she is loving that food:) She's had a few UTI's in the past but nothing quite like this!

I have managed to cut over a kilo off both Pugs weight really just by cutting back on food and treats, they still get plenty. It appears you are doing all you can to cut her weight so wish you a result very soon.

Good to meet you.
Sharon
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
zolla

Post by zolla »

Thanks. I will try the dry shampoo! I think we are going to try chicken instead of wet diet dog food, so maybe that will help. Trouble is, she gets almost no exercise, but won't exercise until she loses some weight, so it's a catch-22 situation.
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

You could try a raw food diet? There's plenty of info. on the Net, it's also supposed to help prevent UTI's and Stones, I will consider this for Duchess once the stones are dissolved. More work I guess but whatever it takes...

I also use a gel hand sanitizer and rub some into her fur, Duchess being a Put cannot reach around to lick it, you'd have to check with your Vet if it's safe to ingest?

Sharon:)
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.