dog with IDD gnawing at back paralyzed legs

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Soffe

Re: dog with IDD gnawing at back paralyzed legs

Post by Soffe »

Oh and as of October of this year it will be 4 years that soffe got paralyzed. She did it jumping on our couch and hitting a pillow and falling on her back. It was horrible seeing her crawling across the floor in pain. I couldn't go anywhere it was almost 11 at night and we have no emergency vets around here. I held her all night keeping her neck up whete it didn't hurt and as soon as the morning came my daughter drove us to a vet hospital a hour away. It's been tough. The vet suggested I put her down but I was not about to do that. She's our miracle dog. Love her to the moon
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Soffe wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:03 pm Oh wow that is very encouraging. Did your dog ever walk again?
Yes, with a lot of PT. :D Her story is here. :wub:

http://www.fourfurfeet.com
Soffe

Post by Soffe »

Oh wow sounds like an amazing dog. I know they become more than just pets. They are family and we will do anything to help them. Thank you for showing me that
Soffe

Post by Soffe »

Update on soffe. Her foot is almost all healed. The gabapentin is working. The combination of socks with a nylon drag bag is doing the trick. I ended up sewing the drag bag shut so that the zipper cannot come undone. She doesn't mess with the bag at all. She sleeps in it and I havnt left her alone for long. I bought 2 cameras that have speakers so this next week I will be leaving her and testing the cametas. I'm still leaving socks on with drG bag for as long as it takes and keeping her on the gabapentin which is a miracle med for her. I'm going to get a couple back up bags. The best one so far is the gray and red with mesh and it's made out of tent material. That way she can't tear through it. It's pretty strong nylon and it's the best one yet. I take it off in the morning to give her legs a break. She doesn't mind the socks or bag at all. Yesterday when she took off across the room she actually used her one back leg to run on. I was shocked and excited. She's a fighter. Someday this will all be behind us. I hope if others are going this they can be encouraged to know that there is hope and they will come out the other side
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Soffe wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:02 pm Yesterday when she took off across the room she actually used her one back leg to run on. I was shocked and excited. She's a fighter. Someday this will all be behind us. I hope if others are going this they can be encouraged to know that there is hope and they will come out the other side
You're kidding! Wooohoooo!!!!!
:yay: :hurray: :ecstatic: :hurray: :yay:
That's incredible! Go Soffe!!!!!
:dancing: :cheer: :cheerleader: :cheer: :cheerleader: :cheer: :cheerleader: :dancing:
Glad she is doing better on the medication, too. Happy for both of you!
:wow:
Soffe

Post by Soffe »

:thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, gabapentin makes a world of difference! :yay:
Soffe

Post by Soffe »

Yes it does. I'm not sure what I would've done if I hadn't read about gabapentin on this forum. It actually saved my little girl soon when her paw heals completely we will start physical therapy. :ecstatic:
Soffe

Post by Soffe »

Update on soffe. Her paws are completely healed. I'm still putting socks and a drag bag on her when she stays home alone. Plus I put up cameras in the livingroom and kitchen and closed all other doors so that I can keep an eye on her. She's doing real good. The gabapentin really works and with all the precautions e are taking I'm hoping we are past the paw chewing. I realized you have to be one step ahead of your fur baby in order to keep them from chewing their back paws. I learned that as I went along. Hope it's soon behind us
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That's pretty cool! 8-) She has her own SoffeCam! :D

I was curious about the honey salve you used, that healed it up completely (Yay!). Does it have a brand name? Is it prescription or can anybody buy it? I would have thought dogs would like the taste of honey and lick it off. But I guess she didn't because it was wrapped and protected.
Soffe

Post by Soffe »

Yes she does have her own soffe cam lol. The honey is called manukora Manuka honey and we got it from our vet. The vet gave me tongue dispensers to use because it's really thick. I spread it on the cuts then put a non stick pad on it then wrapped it with white wrap that sticks to itself. The pads and wrap I get at dollar general for cheap. I put it every morning then night. Apparently they use the honey on farms for animal cuts. I also had a prescription for infection and pain pills and gabapentin. Then I put a dog sock then drag bag. The combination of all that has healed her.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:trophy: :thankyou: