Miracle in the making!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Sasha's Mom

July 15, 2012 Update

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Today is moving day, but wanted to give a quick update on Sasha.

We scratched everything at Animal Medical Center in Manhattan, when, in an in-depth telephone pre-consultation (is there such a thing?!) with the head of the project, I learned Sasha would NOT have been accepted into the Stem Cell Therapy Trial, unless Creatinine dropped below 5.

Additionally, it would have required anywhere between $1,000+ (labs) and $10,000+ (surgery if a ureteral blockage was found) pre-testing and surgery, which would be reimbursed IF Sasha was accepted into the program. I actually went as far as trying to get approved for CareCredit, but could not get the requested $10,000. If I were a millionaire, I would have no qualms spending any amount of money on Sasha, but to risk $10,000 and not be accepted into the trial, was too much of a financial risk.

Also, the director (as have other vets) stated Sasha needed in hospital IVs for at least 4 days. A wise vet stated that much would have killed him. Thank God, I won't allow Sasha overnights at ANY vet because of all the extra care he requires. In this instance, his disability saved his life.

So much more going on, but other than starting Epogen shots (2x a week) for Sasha, not much has changed, unfortunately. :(

Love,
Leah
Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do.
http://eagles-sparrow.com
Sasha's Mom

Sasha and the Lazarus Effect...

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Good grief, my dear friends! What a harrowing week we had. I want the good old days back, when my biggest concern was curing Sasha's stud tail...

I am so completely burnt out, but thank God, Sasha is hanging in there.
Please see his little website for the horrifying scare we had this past Saturday:
http://sashaofvinitsa.weebly.com/the-la ... ffect.html

Prayers and good vibes, please!

:wub:
Love,
Leah & Sasha
Christine

Re: Miracle in the making!

Post by Christine »

Oh Leah!! I am exhausted just experiencing what you went through this weekend! I read it through tears with my heart in my throat. You have such a spiritual connection with Sasha...your soul spoke to his and he responded. The recent pictures are so beautiful and give no hint of his miraculous journey hours before. Constant prayers continue for you both.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Sasha's Mom

Sasha and the Lazarus Effect...

Post by Sasha's Mom »

Thank you, Christine.
You know his whole little story and it always feels like home here.
We did manage to start sub-Qs again, but there were so many mix-ups with what to give when and what to treat first, and the vets giving standard copy and paste responses, it really has been a roller-coaster of ups and downs.
Sasha has an old soul and it is amazing what he will allow me to do and how well he listens with his daily routine - 2 hours 4 times a day. Yes, we certainly do have a spiritual connection and to see his little head raise when I became hysterical, the emotion was overwhelming.
We are going to see a holistic vet on Friday to see if we can approach this from another angle. If he can not offer anything new, we'll just keep doing what we do best, pray and love (with a bit of this 'n that thrown in for good measure)!
Love,
Leah & Sasha :wub:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Miracle in the making!

Post by critters »

He's SUCH a handsome fella! And I quite agree about calling him Lazarus! :shock: