Urgent Advice Needed!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Nelly's Parents

Urgent Advice Needed!

Post by Nelly's Parents »

On July 4th, our female 3 year old beagle French bulldog cross, Nelly, had spinal surgery for a ruptured disc. We were told she had a 50/50 chance of walking again if we had the surgery. She is paralyzed from the waist down with no deep pain sensation (stage V paralysis). The neurosurgeon told us that after surgery the feeling could start coming back the next day but total recovery time was 4-6 weeks.

After 4 days at the hospital, we brought her home to recover. She is incontinent and has a catheter in. We brought her back to the hospital one week after the surgery to change her catheter and for the doctor to check her. He was happy with her progress and spirits but she still has no deep pain sensations. He discussed "options" with us, and he said "let's give it another week" before we make any decisions . He also told us that the recovery for her injury is about a month but then said he's never seen a dog regain feeling in week 5 or later from her type of paralysis. He suggested that feeling or sensations will almost always return within the first two weeks.

We are going to have her catheter checked and staples removed from her back on Wednesday July 18, which is the 2 week anniversary of her surgery. From what he's told us, we believe it is his opinion that euthenizing her may be the best option. After doing some research on sites such as this, we are not so sure we agree.

Her spirits are high and she seems like the same dog just without the use of her hind legs. Her dad works from home and would be able to provide the care she needs on most days. However, we have not yet learned how to express her bladder as she still has the catheter in. We know it will be an adjustment having a paralyzed dog at home, but we aren't ready to say goodbye to her.

Our question is really to those that have had similar experiences with their dogs, has the deep pain sensations come back after 2,4,6 weeks or longer? We are looking to be as prepared as possible for her next vet visit with some success stories and perhaps some questions to ask him.

We also wanted to know what the adjustment is like for other families with a paralyzed dog? Does your dog need 24 hour care? Nelly is used to having family around all the time, but we understand it will be difficult for anyone but us to care for her.

Thanks.
Jenn & Grayden
CarolC

Re: Urgent Advice Needed!

Post by CarolC »

Hi Jenn and Grayden,

There is no definite answer that I know of, as to whether a dog will regain deep pain sensation after surgery, and recovery rates vary from case to case. It sounds like your surgeon is making a statement based on certain factors in your dog's case, and I don't know, there may be studies or statistics to support what he says. All I know is, there is a lot of variability in cases of recovery from paralysis, both in timeline and in degree of recovery, and I feel that "drop dead dates" (where something is going to happen by a certain date or not at all) are unrealistic. Even if most dogs do such-and-such, or the average dog does such-and-such, you do not know that your dog will be in that category. So I guess the surgeon can give you a guideline but I suspect if you ask him, even he will say that the guideline is not a sure thing, it is only a guideline.

In addition, some vets will recommend putting a dog down because they think the owner will not be willing or able to give the dog a good life. However, if you tell the vet you are willing to learn and feel you can provide a good life, then hopefully he will support you in this decision. In this day and age, there are too many happy, healthy wheelchair dogs out there for most vets to really believe it is in the dog's best interest to put him down unless he lacks family support. Times have changed. I grieve for the families who cannot provide the care they would like to because of scheduling commitments, personal disability, or the like, that is so sad for them, but if your circumstances permit it, then I would encourage you to do so. Caring for my paralyzed dog has been the greatest experience of my life.

I would be thinking in the same direction you are thinking in your situation.

My dog had a severe spinal fracture with complete paralysis with no deep pain sensation. They did not find any deep pain sensation in her until 149 days after the accident, which is nearly 5 months.

We did crate rest like we were supposed to, and we did PT like we were supposed to anyway. She began to recover very slowly and eventually could walk again.

Dogs can learn to do something variously called "spinal walking" or "reflex walking". It takes advantage of the crossed extensor reflexes. The fact that the front feet move sends signals to the back feet. With physical therapy, some dogs will learn to use their back feet enough to be mobile. My dog first learned to do spinal walking and later began doing some regular walking as well.

And of course, they can always have a wheelchair if they do not learn to walk again.

As far as her bladder, I think it would be good to learn to express her as you say, and get her off that catheter. It is hard to predict whether your dog will regain bladder control. If she does not, you will either have a dog needing a diaper or a dog needing expressing, or some dogs do best with both. The main issue with expressing is to be home at least 3 times a day to do it, because it should be done every 8 hours. If your family can do this, then absolutely, I would bring her home. She may recover bladder control or she may not, but either way, you will have your dog and she will continue to be the same dog that you love.

Personally, I would want to give her a chance, you will have an adjustment as you say, but whatever stress you might have initially will eventually turn into a familiar routine and if you are like me, you will end up being so very glad you did.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I have two paralyzed corgis. The older one, Candy, had surgery but never recovered deep pain sensation and is a complete paraplegic. Oliver had no surgery but can stand and wag his tail though he can't walk. Both need to be expressed and use carts.

Candy was injured more than 8 years ago. Since then he has earned a Therapy Dog title and an APDT Rally Obedience championship. Oliver was injured two years ago and has titled in APDT rally, also, since then.

Care: belly band at night, cart in the morning so they can go out and be expressed, express again at least two more times during the day, in and out of cart usually 2-3 times. When I'm working they are out of the cart all day inside. When I'm home they are mostly in the carts. I do express their bowels at bedtime mainly because otherwise it can be messy; the rest of the time I just scoop as needed. All of it takes no more than ten-fifteen minutes a day for two dogs. Neither has ever had a UTI. Candy occasionally gets a sore from dragging or from his cart as he has fairly fragile skin. And that's it. They walk, they run, they hike, Oliver chases his ball and retrieves it in the water, too, he can swim out of the cart, too.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Nelly's Parents

Post by Nelly's Parents »

Thank you both very much for your reply. It's very helpful to hear about your experiences. I know this information has been touched on this forum in different ways and slightly different circumstances.

We are seeing her neurosurgeon tomorrow to have the catheter removed and hopefully have some good news about deep pain sensation. Either way we have decided to continue with her at home care and physio and continue with her recovery.

:thankyou:
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

I just wanted to tell you that my dog did not have surgery and he was paralyzed for two and a half years. I was also told by three vets to put him down. He does not have bladder or bowel control. I do as many other here do I use male wraps and I espess him. As people have told you the handicap does not change the dog, although I feel I have a closer bond with him. I hope this has been of some help.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Nelly's Parents,

How is it going?

I just wanted to tell you that some dogs can learn to walk even if they are paralyzed. It is called spinal walking.

Here is a definition of spinal walking.

"Occasionally a dog that has transverse malacia of its thoracolumbar spinal cord (no deep pain sensation) can learn to "walk" again using the crossed extensor reflex that may still exist in the hindlimbs. Without motor connections to the brain, this reflex is "released" and causes the involuntary motor movements that are frequently observed in the limbs. Through extensive physiotherapy, many of these dogs learn to swing their bodies to get their hindlimbs under them and allow the reflex walking movements to be effectual. This form of walking is called spinal walking and looks a bit "motorized" but serves the function well."

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/diskbook.html