Oscar - Cat- Saddle Thrombus

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
bernieshouse

Oscar - Cat- Saddle Thrombus

Post by bernieshouse »

Oscar, my cat, who I think is 17 (he is a rescue) developed a clot in his hind legs Saturday. He has been diagnosed with saddle thrombus. He has regained the use of his right leg; but, still drags his left leg. He had a cardiac ultrasound and is borderline for heart disease. Vet thinks their is a partial blockage; but is hopeful that he can eventually recover. He is eating, urinating, drinking and does not appear to be any pain. His vet prescribed 1/8 of 81 mg of aspirin every 3 days.

Having said all of that, I just wondered if someone else on this site had experienced this and if so, did your cat recover completely or will Oscar's left leg always drag behind him now?

Thanks.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Oscar - Cat- Saddle Thrombus

Post by critters »

Chances are that he'll regain at least some function eventually, but you might need to consider a splint until then if it continues too long; you don't want it to contract under, believe me!!
WhiteLotus

Post by WhiteLotus »

I have an 18 year old cat who I suspect has suffered a saddle thrombus. It was mid evening, Dec 31, so no hope of getting him to the vet to find out what happened. However, doing as much online research as I could yesterday, while I am not a vet, I have no doubt this is what happened. He is in great spirits, he can move his rear legs. He can stretch them out straight, and he can curl them toward his body. He cannot void his bladder, though. I have to assist with that. At least he doesn't leave puddles, and isn't lying in urine.

From what I have read, it seems that prognosis is not good if not gotten to the hospital immediately, and recovery is also not great even if gotten to the vet. However, since he can move his rear legs, what chances does he have for recovery? He can't bear any weight on the rear legs. I will add that while he does eat and drink, he hasn't had a bowel movement since Monday evening, so I'm not sure if his intestines are working.

I will call the vet tomorrow, I couldn't today as I had to work, and of course they weren't open yesterday at all.

Suggestions? Insights?

Best regards.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: What did you find out?
WhiteLotus

Post by WhiteLotus »

Oh, shoot. I did not call the vet. :oops: He is actually improving slowly, with the homeopathic remedies and PT and massaging that I'm doing. I also have started feeding him raw smelts in addition to his holistic dry food, and plenty of water. And, he finally had a bowel movement this morning. Small, but much better formed BM than he's had in ages. His leg and foot motions are getting stronger every day, and he can keep himself sternal on his haunches for longer and longer periods of time, like when he eats and drinks. Of course, I must put him in that position initially.