Partially paralyzed cat, suddenly smells like death?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
StephieNS

Partially paralyzed cat, suddenly smells like death?

Post by StephieNS »

I have a cat that's about 6 months old, he had an accident in which he became paraplegic when he was a couple weeks old. He's recovered a great deal, moves his legs and tail around, just won't stand on them and is still incontinent. Until just recently everything has been fine.

I came home from work today, and cleaned his cage so I could put him in it while I mopped and tidied the area I allow him to "run around" in while I'm away (I didn't want him on the floor before it was disinfected and dry again). Before I put him in his cage, I gave him a bath like always.

Now where's I have to admit that I haven't been nearly as attentive as I should be. Normally I check his legs and belly for sores, and I always raise him up to wash under him and on his privates. But lately I haven't been actually INSPECTING that area. I had however, noticed when I watched him move around and play, that he looked a little bigger in that area. Seemed normal, his brother is starting to go through puberty too (keeps humping my throw blanket, darn it).

Well, today when I gave him a bath, I don't know why, but something made me lift him up completely into the light and really LOOK there. Turns out, it wasn't his balls getting larger (although they are slightly), it was his penis swelling up so much that I thought I was looking at his balls when I saw him moving around. He's had a UTI before, but at that time I was still having to express his bladder, so it was caught extremely early.

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, and although it looks really bad I'm sure she can help him. I'm willing to get him anything he needs. What worries me though, is the symptom he has NEVER exhibited before, even when he was dehydrated and on the edge of death in the past. When I lifted him up and really looked there, I notice in that area he smells like...death. Like the first hint of smell when an animal passes away. I've owned enough pets throughout my life to know that smell. It's faint, but there. And after noticing that, I'm holding and cuddling with him, and realize that the death-smell is all over him, just more subtle everywhere else. I can smell it in the fur on his head.

Please somebody tell me if you know what this could possibly be, I understand I should have been inspecting him thoroughly everyday, I know this is my fault, I don't need a lecture; just PLEASE I want to know what causes an animals...privates and fur to smell like death? I'm scared to death for my baby, I've devoted the last 6 months of my life to him, and just recently I've been working more often. I stopped checking him for just a couple weeks and now...now I'm scared I'm going to lose him. That I've failed him.
CarolC

Re: Partially paralyzed cat, suddenly smells like death?

Post by CarolC »

I'm so sorry to hear he's having a problem after you've cared for him all this time. It sounds like an infection, but only the vet will be able to tell. EDIT: removed comment because I cannot find the post it was based on and do not want to take a chance of being wrong.

I have also noticed a horrible smell in 2 pets that had tumors. They were both very senior dogs and in both cases I found the tumor by smelling it before I saw it. One was inside her mouth, the other was on his ear (long coat, hadn't seen it). You are doing the best thing to take your cat to the vet as soon as possible. I hope you will post back on how it goes.
:grouph:
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Re: Partially paralyzed cat, suddenly smells like death?

Post by BendyMom »

i know that death smell
it is unmistakable

the times i have smelled it (when teh animal wasn't dying) have been from realy bad infections. My girl Ereshkigal had that smell recently (couple weeks ago), I have had a couple foster kittens who had severe GI problems where my main description was "she smells dead"

i have had one bot fly larvae and it causes HUGE swelling, but it didn't stink. still that is only one case. others may well stink.

its an awful feeling to find something and wonder why you didn't see it earlier, everyone has done it. the important thing is you DID see it and are getting it treated.

Please let us know what the vet thinks this is and what treatment is recommended. I think I'd faint if Butterbean's penis swelled up like that!

you mentioned he doens't need to be expressed anymore? he is going on his own now? just wondering. great if he regaining function. sometimes they do.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.