cerebellar hypoplasia my rescue dog stevie

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
apple267

cerebellar hypoplasia my rescue dog stevie

Post by apple267 »

hi everybody, i have a black and white border collie, age 7, who has cerebellar hypoplasia, he is a sweetheart, beloved by all who meet him, but lately he has been falling over more than usual, and it seems to be his front legs collapsing under him. is there anyone out there with similar experience who can advise me on how i can help him, any suggestions gratefully received. i know a visit to the vet is inevitable, but i often find the best advice comes from owners of disabled pets and their ingenius ideas!
critters
Founding Member

Re: cerebellar hypoplasia my rescue dog stevie

Post by critters »

:welcomepigs: You're right about the best advice coming from people who live it; most vets don't have a clue! :mrgreen:

Has he gained weight? I would also wonder about the possibility of arthritis or another problem raising its head?
apple267

Post by apple267 »

hi Critters, and thank you for your welcome, no Stevie has not gained weight, he is a healthy 19kg, (being smaller than most male border collies), arthritis is a possibility, but i think it may be the fact that with his strange wobbly walk his joints rub in an unnatural way and this has taken it's toll over the years. i have been on the dogmobility website, looking at harnesses for special needs dogs, and i have emailed them about a front-lift harness that may help him, they have some great stuff on there (hope it is ok to say this, i'm not connected to them in any way!), and anyone with a dog with mobility issues may find it helpful.
Attachments
stevie.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Different stuff fits different critters different ways, so almost nothing fits everybody, just like humans! :D Plus there's even more variability when it comes to disabilities.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Does he seem to have any discomfort, especially in his neck?
apple267

Post by apple267 »

hi Carol, no, no discomfort in the neck, it is just his legs.
barbarony

Post by barbarony »

I have a 11 month old boxer mix with CH and have wondered about arthritis and other issues coming up early bc of the way my Roy walks. There are a lot of good supplements and meds out there for pain/discomfort issues. I have been trying to keep him on a good supplement even though he is young to protect his joints. Foods with glucosamine and synovi G 3 is a good chewable supplement.
barbarony

Post by barbarony »

I have a 11 month old boxer mix with CH and have wondered about arthritis and other issues coming up early bc of the way my Roy walks. There are a lot of good supplements and meds out there for pain/discomfort issues. I have been trying to keep him on a good supplement even though he is young to protect his joints. Foods with glucosamine and synovi G 3 is a good chewable supplement.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

barbaroni, how big is Roy?
barbarony

Post by barbarony »

Roy is #57...he is young and we have waited to neuter him bc there is a theory that if you wait bc of the hormones it can be less of a chance of CCL injuries. He doesn't need that on top of CH. he will be getting neutered soon bc the docs I work with said to wait until he is 1 and he's almost there.
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Hi I,m experiencing the same with my 9 1/2 year old Akita. Up until 6 months ago he could make his way down a few stairs and go out and potty. Now he seems reluctant and has more trouble walking and holding his pose while he potties. I guess it's just aging and possible arthritis. It's difficult,as you know, because otherwise these guys are wonderful!!! Let me know if you come up with anything! Best of luck with Stevie!
barbarony

Post by barbarony »

You might want to take him to your vet for meds that will make him more comfortable i.e. Rimadly (carprofen is the generic and cheaper) that is an NSAID. Can also be taken with tramadol for pain. Do not give aspirin or other human pain meds. Want to certainly keep him comfortable in his later years.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:blink: Lobo. I agree with barbarony that this may be an arthritis problem, and I, too, would try meds first.