boots for knuckling dog

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
mar

boots for knuckling dog

Post by mar »

Hu,
My 13 yr old golden retriever has IVDD and knuckles on her rear paws when she walks. She was not a surgical candidate. She walks poorly without support-wobbles a lot with bent back legs . She uses a Walkin Wheels Wheelchair to walk outdoors but cannot go far as her back legs give out. She wears Thera Paws Dorsi Flex Assist boots on her rear paws when outdoors as they pull her toes upward and prevent knuckling. I'm looking for boots she could wear indoors that will do the same thing. Her outdoor boots have a thick sole and she trips on them indoors. The indoor boots would need to have a firm but thin sole and some way to keep her toes up like her current outdoor boots. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you
critters
Founding Member

Re: boots for knuckling dog

Post by critters »

:slant: Hmm. I suggest talking to the manufacturer of Thera Paws and see if they'll make some.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm a little confused on why she is having extra trouble indoors. Is it because outdoors she is using the cart, but indoors only the boots? Or is it because the indoor walking surface (carpet or whatever) is more difficult for her? Would it help to pull socks on over the boots when she's indoors, to make the bottom of the boots seem smoother?

There is another product I have not used, called the Orthopets Toe Up Sling. It looks appropriate for indoors, though no sole. See at the last video on this page:

http://www.orthopets.com/sciatic_nerve_ ... _home.html

Here is another method of wrapping the toes, again with no sole. Scroll down the page (second photo from the bottom).

http://www.aisti.info/swe/fysioterapi/f ... enter.html

Have you thought about buying a nonorthopedic boot with the kind of sole you are looking for, and adding your own support strap to it?

If you can make any more comments on why the dorsi-flex are not working indoors, there might be other ideas...:thinking:
mar

Post by mar »

Thanks for your reply. It's because she only uses the cart indoors. Her cart doesn't fit through doorways indoors. I will look at the websites you have suggested.

Regards,
Marilyn
mar

Post by mar »

Carol,
I forgot to also reply that because she has lost some of the sensation in the bottom of her rear paws, boots with thick soles make it difficult for proprioception -so she can't tell if her feet are flat on the ground or not. Even thin soles can do that, but they are better than thin soles.

Thx,
Marilyn
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, it is harder for a big dog to use a cart inside, doorways, furniture, etc. When I was ordering a cart for my golden retriever, I wanted to be able to put him in it in the family room, then let him roll out the back door and down the ramp, and I wasn't sure a cart for a dog that size would even fit through the doorway to the backyard, but I checked before I bought it and it did. But interior doorways are often narrower.

For my dog, since he didn't use the cart in the house, I kept a harness on him 24/7. He went through a period where he could still walk if I could help him up. That way anytime he needed help up, he was already wearing the harness and I did not have to take time and effort to put one on him. It was a big help. You may want to start looking at harnesses, especially ones for a big dog that can be left on during the day, there are several. Some of them are expensive, but having a good harness can be your best friend if it lets you use better body mechanics to help your dog, saving you back strain, etc. I really feel like whatever you pay for a good quality harness is money well spent, because you can spend it now for the harness, or you can spend the same amount and more later for chiropractic...at least if you're like me.

I hope you will stick around or keep visiting during the coming months. When a senior dog gets to this point, you kind of find yourself adjusting as they are able to do less. I am really impressed you got the dorsi-flex, it sounds like you (or your vet, or both) are really on top of things.

My dog developed incontinence to go with his mobility problems, but we dealt with it. If you have questions about anything like that, don't hesitate to ask, chances are someone here has been through the same thing. :wink:

:gang:
mar

Post by mar »

What type of harness do you recommend? I was looking on line at a combi-harness. It supports the front and rear of the dog (from handicapped pets).
Thx,
Marilyn
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Looks pretty good. I've never used that one, but it looks effective and comfortable in the video. The only thing I'd think about is, if she ends up needing a diaper, you may find her needing a slightly larger size of the rear portion of the harness (only guessing). It looks like it should not be too hard to change the diaper, you would just unclip the rear portion where it connects at mid-back, and you'd be able to leave the front portion still on. I would try to get something that does not cut under the abdomen. The combo harness looks like it supports her around the legs and pelvis without putting a lot of pressure on her waist. If the harness puts too much pressure on the abdomen when the dog is lifted, it may cause the dog to lose bladder control even if they wouldn't otherwise. :wink:
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hello and welcome! When my Bailey was with me, I used a Lift and Assist Harness and left it on her 24/7. (She was also blind and easily spooked so I hated to constantly put on and take off the harnass.)

It was like a vest with a handle on top. (They sell them here or you might try eBay.) My girl could not hold a squat, so I would take her outside to potty and as soon as she would make a move to squat, I would support her by holding the handle. It did not take long to just "know" when she was ready to do that. If you do decide to use it, just observe any spots where it might rub your dog and make sure to adjust the buckles. I also used some adhesive mole skin to line certain areas to assure that they would not cause her a problem - it was a process to get it just right...I was constantly rubbing her feeling her skin under it to make sure all was well.

My heart is with you as you help your dog and best friend..you won't regret a minute of it.
Attachments
kong hangover.jpg
Bedtime for Bailey.jpg
Little Miss Perfect.jpg
moleskin on harnass.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

I just did a quick search here and Google and could not find this harnass, but I did find this one that is inexpensive and might help. Also, Google Lift and Assist Harnass. There are many different kinds out there now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETIO-Soft-Assi ... 1e8bcfdae6

Hope you will stick around and keep us posted and allow us to lend a shoulder when you need it.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Marilyn, if you do choose to try the Orthopets Toe Up Sling, it would be great if you could post how it works. I don't think it's been out very long, and I don't think anyone has reported on how it works here.

By the way, on the pictures Christine posted, you can click to enlarge. :wink:

Christine, I don't think I've ever seen that last photo of Bailey, that's such a nice picture! :wub: