Heart Disease and now IVDD..surgery or wheels?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
ashlee

Heart Disease and now IVDD..surgery or wheels?

Post by ashlee »

Has anybody had a dog with advanced heart disease and IVDD? Was the dogs quality of life good in wheels as apose to surgery?
My maltese x shih tzu is 12 years old. She was diagnosed with advanced heart disease about 7 months ago. She is now in the vets with IVDD that is not getting any better on it's own. The vets have suggested surgery with a 90% success rate of survival (taking into account her heart condition), and a 95% chance of success with getting her back legs moving again. She has had one operation before her heart problems for her teeth, and she did not recover well. We are therefore hesitant to undergo surgery as she may not make it due to her heart, recovery may also take a toll on her heart, and there are chances she will die in surgery, or not even be cured of IVDD after it. The other option which we are more leaning towards is to leave her as is with pain relief meds, and to hook her up with a set of wheels so she can still move around somewhat and be in full palative care with us. We are wanting to give her a good quality of life, with as little stress for her little heart, seeing as though she already has a limited time frame left with her advanced heart disease.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Heart Disease and now IVDD..surgery or wheels?

Post by Bobbie »

I'd go with the cart. Surgery on a 12 year old is risky, and if you know she has heart disease, more risky. The question is whether you can handle the cart and what else it involves- if you can, that's a good option.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
ashlee

Post by ashlee »

That's exactly what we are thinking. The vets seem confident she will make it, but we think otherwise. we are willing to do 24/7 care as we work opposite hours so will work. Just hope she doesn't get too frustrated with being paralysed and that that doesn't stress her heart. Also hope she isn't too doped out in drugs to enjoy herself.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Usually the pain goes away after awhile and she won't mind the cart once she gets used to it. Mine haven't, they get the idea it means going out and having fun.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I wouldn't do either one with advanced heart disease. I would get her a stroller so you can take her around places without any effort on her part. During the time you are at home, I would have a playpen or other bed set up for her in the main rooms you occupy, so she can be with you in the room even if she is just snoozing under a blanket. If she would like to do a little walking, sling walking will be the least effort for her, less than pulling a cart. (click to enlarge)
2010-08-11 Stroller 002.JPG
Katie_sitting 003.JPG
ashlee

Post by ashlee »

She seems pretty happy with herself atm and is trying to move about so we might do just the sling. your point of pulling a cart makes sense. She one really walks around when she is doing a widdle outside.
I'm glad to see your baby loving it! looks very cruisy