Newbie ~ What recovery steps did you see?? (Disc issue)

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
ivy418

Newbie ~ What recovery steps did you see?? (Disc issue)

Post by ivy418 »

Hi all,

I tried to see if my questions were already answered in other threads, but it didn't look like it.
Apologies if i am double posting. :D

My 80 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback, Kya, herniated a disc last week and we are very new to all of this.
Because it happened so fast we also thought it could have been a Saddle Thrombus but a thermal imaging confirmed a disc in her upper back.
She also was diagnosed with periodical effusion and had a window completed in January. In reviewing the X-rays from that it looks as though she also has lung cancer and a 2 year history of seizures. (ER Vet gave us 2-4 months with the cancer) :(
When this first came on it was so very painful for her and given her other issues we almost put her down immediately.
Luckily we have a wonderful holistic vet who we have been working with for a while on the seizures and recently with the cancer. (She feels she had much more than 2-4 months) When we brought this new issue to her she encouraged us to give her some time and look for small changes each day.

Her pain is well under control now so our journey begins down the road to recovery.

Kya cannot stand nor put any weight on her back two legs. We have tried multiple slings but they make her cry.
She spends most of her time on her side and we try to swap sides every few hours or when she gets fussy.
She’s able to hold herself up to about mid back on her front legs – but she’s very shaky. Mostly she has perfected the art of spinning in a circle.
We have been using a heating pad off and on most of the days and she is on some Holistics, Tramadol and Prednisone. We have also done some electronic acupuncture.

She also does not have control over her bathroom functions, if she does its limited. (She sits up and leaks – other time holds it for hours)
We have no way to take her out so I have been expressing her bladder and she handles the poop’n on her own on the puppy pads. (They have been a life saver!)
I also picked up some no rinse wash to keep her clean – getting her in the bathtub is impossible at this stage.

Here are some of my questions.
• What were the signs of recovery that you saw and at what stage? (i.e. 1 week = kicking, 2 weeks = tail wag etc.)
Obviously every dog is different but it would be helpful to hear others signs of progress.
• She has become super itchy the past day or so (possible allergy to some holistics or the Pred – singling this out)
This has made her kick her back legs A LOT!!! Not just little twitches, but full angry scratching motions.
Is the scratching good??? (obviously the itching/allergy is not good)
• How have you been able to leave your dog’s alone?
I’m lucky and can be home with her most of the time, but need a plan to leave her for 2-4 hours.
• Her nose is SUPER dry/cracked. I am keeping her hydrated – any tricks for this?
• I have been doing basic range of motion exercises – anything else to keep her limber?

:thankyou: for taking the time to read and reply!!!
Syd's Mom

Re: Newbie ~ What recovery steps did you see?? (Disc issue)

Post by Syd's Mom »

Hello Ivy418,

I am new to this too! My 17 pound mix, Syd, was a healthy active three year old dog that within hours was paralyzed in the rear legs. He had spinal surgery the next morning for a ruptured disc. This was 4 weeks ago. I believe there is a different treatment plan for dogs that have surgery and those who are treated medically. From what I have read, medically treated dogs require complete crate rest with only passive range of motion for an extended period of time compared to surgically treated dogs. I am no expert for sure. But this is what we have seen with Syd so far.

Prior to surgery, deep pain response in both legs, no movement below T12-13
First week post-op-no deep pain response in right leg (swelling of spinal cord) Doing passive range of motion only

Second week, full tail wag, stretching of lower legs

Third week started PT with hydrotherapy, knuckle walking on treadmill with support. Slight lifting of leg (like when male dogs urinate) when expressing urine. Deep pain response in both legs. Good tail wag. Surgeon said tail movement and urinating would be the first signs of recovery but we are still expressing every 6 hours.

Fourth week- Now Syd is walking normally about 50% while in hydrotherapy, we get him up 3 times a day to manually walk him, he can bear weight but can slightly move his legs attempting to walk. Four times a day we do passive range of motion to try to prevent contractures and atrophy, massage and stimulation to back, tail, legs and feet (using my nails or stiff brush to rake areas) to help reconnect nerve pathways.

The surgeon gave us a 90% chance of recovery (being able to walk and go outside to urinate, etc. but will never return to pre rupture) this will take several months though.

We have been fortunate to be able to work opposite schedules but are tiring out with lack of sleep because Syd is still quite a wild guy, barely out of puppyhood :) We are starting to leave him for short periods, hour or two in a small exercise pen with a egg crate mattress but I am paranoid about the positions he gets himself into (laying on legs and cutting off his circulation since he can't move very well or can't feel them) I turn him at night every 4 hours or so. We pad everything well and he seems to be just fine when we get home, unhappy though cause he is getting super spoiled.

I would think scratching is a very good sign as she can feel the itching, not sure it is the prednisone as you would think that would calm those things down.

I heard of using Aquaphor on dry noses but check with your vet to make sure.

Massage may be helpful with the range of motion, Good luck to you and Kya, I wish you all the best!!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: to you both!

I think I'd use a bit of petroleum jelly, rubbed in well, on a dry nose.

I consider any movement good. If it's an allergy, pred should be helping that. Could it be dry skin?
mud99

Post by mud99 »

ivy418 wrote:Hi all,

I tried to see if my questions were already answered in other threads, but it didn't look like it.
Apologies if i am double posting. :D

My 80 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback, Kya, herniated a disc last week and we are very new to all of this.
Because it happened so fast we also thought it could have been a Saddle Thrombus but a thermal imaging confirmed a disc in her upper back.
She also was diagnosed with periodical effusion and had a window completed in January. In reviewing the X-rays from that it looks as though she also has lung cancer and a 2 year history of seizures. (ER Vet gave us 2-4 months with the cancer) :(
When this first came on it was so very painful for her and given her other issues we almost put her down immediately.
Luckily we have a wonderful holistic vet who we have been working with for a while on the seizures and recently with the cancer. (She feels she had much more than 2-4 months) When we brought this new issue to her she encouraged us to give her some time and look for small changes each day.

Her pain is well under control now so our journey begins down the road to recovery.

Kya cannot stand nor put any weight on her back two legs. We have tried multiple slings but they make her cry.
She spends most of her time on her side and we try to swap sides every few hours or when she gets fussy.
She’s able to hold herself up to about mid back on her front legs – but she’s very shaky. Mostly she has perfected the art of spinning in a circle.
We have been using a heating pad off and on most of the days and she is on some Holistics, Tramadol and Prednisone. We have also done some electronic acupuncture.

She also does not have control over her bathroom functions, if she does its limited. (She sits up and leaks – other time holds it for hours)
We have no way to take her out so I have been expressing her bladder and she handles the poop’n on her own on the puppy pads. (They have been a life saver!)
I also picked up some no rinse wash to keep her clean – getting her in the bathtub is impossible at this stage.

Here are some of my questions.
• What were the signs of recovery that you saw and at what stage? (i.e. 1 week = kicking, 2 weeks = tail wag etc.)
Obviously every dog is different but it would be helpful to hear others signs of progress.
• She has become super itchy the past day or so (possible allergy to some holistics or the Pred – singling this out)
This has made her kick her back legs A LOT!!! Not just little twitches, but full angry scratching motions.
Is the scratching good??? (obviously the itching/allergy is not good)
• How have you been able to leave your dog’s alone?
I’m lucky and can be home with her most of the time, but need a plan to leave her for 2-4 hours.
• Her nose is SUPER dry/cracked. I am keeping her hydrated – any tricks for this?
• I have been doing basic range of motion exercises – anything else to keep her limber?

:thankyou: for taking the time to read and reply!!!
First off - the dog should be on strict crate rest if she has a slipped disc. Hopefully that is what you are doing?

After a few rounds of disc issues - the first and second week of crate rest is the worst. Things seem to settle down week 3 onward.

It's hard to do, but I found the best thing to do is to simply put them in the crate, give them pain meds, and leave the house. Our frenchie would wimper and cry and act so sad and painful when we were around, so my wife or I would work from home to keep him company, and he would wimper and cry and move around all day, and wouldn't get better. Then we got a webcam and left him at home, and realized that when we left, he simply passed out. You could here the loud snores over the webcam and he would maybe rotate or switch sides every 3 hours or so. We felt a lot less guilty once we could see that he was snoring away happily when we were away, and he seemed to recover faster this way.

Now, since she doesn't have bladder control, i'm not sure how that complicates things. Ours never lost bladder control so i'm not sure if that makes it harder to leave them or puts an upper time limit on how long you can leave them for.
Syd's Mom

Post by Syd's Mom »

Hello All,

I wanted to give you an update since it has been over 2 years since Syd's injury. We spent thousands of dollars on the surgery and therapy. Even though he never regained his ability to walk I am glad we gave him the chance. He is happy and doesn't even act like the paralysis slows him down one bit. We used to feel sorry for him dragging himself around. Now its the norm and he can move a mile a minute, which is a little scary :). He has a cart from Eddie's Wheels Co. that has been a blessing and he loves to go on the trails near our home. He plays with our other dog as much as he used to. Recently we purchased a large area rug that covers the majority of the room he spends the most time in, covering the hardwood floors. This new ability for traction has stimulated him to stand and eat all on his own, which we have assisted him prior to. He takes several steps now without assistance and we are getting encouraged there may be more progress after all this time. I only wish we had bought this rug sooner :) We still express his bladder but he is also starting to urinate on his own. Nerve pathways grow back slowly.
Bottom line, yes we wish he could walk but we have worked around his special needs, it doesn't take that much time now that we have a routine. We are glad we gave him a chance and he is an important part of our family. Good luck to all of you!!!

Syd's Mom
Last edited by Syd's Mom on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

As long as they can find a way to do what they want to do, they're happy! Amazing that you're still seeing improvements after so long; many vets STILL say that all the recovery possible happens quickly, which isn't true in my experience either. :thankyou: for the update; it should be a lot of encouragement to the new people coming along!