Feels stomach, wags tail , signals to use bathroom

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
pattyd7

Feels stomach, wags tail , signals to use bathroom

Post by pattyd7 »

Can someone tell me what all this means?
Prissy , my dog had a herniated disk. She's had surgery. I believe it was 3 weeks ago. She can feel her stomach , wags her tail while trying to use the bathroom , and can signal to use the bathroom. I have to express her , but she lets us know when.
I can't get a reaction from pinching her toes , except pulling away. She seems uncomfortable when I'm doing it , but no looking back etc.
Can anyone tell me what all this might mean?
thanks..
CarolC

Re: Feels stomach, wags tail , signals to use bathroom

Post by CarolC »

You may have a stoic dog, making signs of deep pain more difficult to interpret. I don't know about you, but I've had some dogs that were drama queens about pain and some just keep it in. This article is very helpful.
http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/April-2010/Making-Sense-Of-The-Neuro-Exam/ wrote:When a deep pain sensation is present, the patient should have a voluntary reaction such as whining, trying to bite or moving away from the painful stimulus. A very stoic patient may show only dilatation of the pupils.