Do you let them drag or hop?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
pattyd7

Do you let them drag or hop?

Post by pattyd7 »

Prissy, puts her legs to the front and hops for the most part on her bottom. I was told / read letting them drag their legs behind wasn't good , but I read the same about the front!
Help!
Thanks,
Patti :thankyou:
pattyd7

Re: Do you let them drag or hop?

Post by pattyd7 »

The Dr. says don't do either. Prissy doesn't like the cart though! She literally was getting depressed. :(
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I guess you tried doing fun stuff with the cart, like trips? Dragging can lead to skin breakdown, but a drag bag might help some. http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-drag-bag
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Well, I do, but I keep watch for sores. Oliver uses the cart more than he drags and always on rough surfaces, but on grass or inside I often let him get around without it. Not if the grass is wet, though. Keep a close watch on feet and underside as sores can be hard to heal if they get started.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I think dragging is OK when you are home to monitor the skin for abrasions. When you go to work it is probably safer to put her in a crate or playpen or something like that. If she is bouncing around on her bottom I would want her in a diaper, to keep whatever germs are on the floor away from her female area. That is one way urinary tract infections can start. In addition, a nice pad in the diaper like a Poise pad will give her a softer landing when she bounces. :D