3 year old poodle with Ivdd

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Laurfeen

3 year old poodle with Ivdd

Post by Laurfeen »

My baby boys name is Joey he is 3 years old and was diagnosed with Ivdd a week ago. That day they told me to take him home give him a muscle relaxer and pain meds. At this point he was walking funny and not being his same cheery self. They next day he was not eating or drinking and couldn't walk with his back legs. They vet told me to come right in and told me at this point he needs surgery because his deep pain was gone. Surgery with mri and cat scan would be around 5,000 $ and there was only a 50% chance of walking again. I am doing an full time internship along with only working 2 days a week at a paid job , money is tight and I could not spend every penny I had saved on the surgery. So we went the medication root. He still is not eating and lost all bowel and bladder control along with being paryzled. For safety I have had him staying at the vets for a week on strict crate rest. They dr. Said he can live like this and I just have questions for others in the same case. Will he ever walk again? Any suggestions on other meds or therapy such laser or acupuncture ? I stated if he is in any pain I would never put him through that for my happyness , but the vet told me he isn't showing signs of pain.i just need help from others telling me your stories and what may help him with life.
critters
Founding Member

Re: 3 year old poodle with Ivdd

Post by critters »

:whale: You'll hear from others, but chances are he'll get at least some function back over time; here's a post just updated to show recovery from a spinal cord injury. http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =2&t=18181 Even if he doesn't, he can be fine. I expect you'll have to learn how to express him (squeeze his belly to help him poop and pee), and you may have to make or buy a cart (wheelchair), but this all can be done!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I've had two- first had surgery and got nothing back, second had no surgery and can stand up. Go figure. Candy lived 9 1/2 years after becoming totally paraplegic. No utis, one bad sore, otherwise healthy until the last week. Oliver is going on five years post injury and is very happy and healthy (check out his Facebook page, Friends of Oliver for videos and pictures).

FYI- less than 50% seems to be a canned response. Same thing Oliver's owner was told. The truth is that if a dog has deep pain or has lost it over several days, the chances surgery will work are probably >90%. Just for future reference. I still don't recommend people mortgage the house to do surgery- dogs do just fine without it. And some recover completely without it, but even with no recovery they can do just fine.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
summerlover

Post by summerlover »

hi. I have a recently paralyzed dog too. she doesn't seem to be in pain (vets agree), so I am not really considering euthanasia..
at first, I couldn't express her so the vets put her on catheter. She got UTI and is now getting treated... as critter said, you should learn how to express him.. very important
she just lays around. i exercise her everyday (there's a link for exercise procedure here somewhere..) and she goes for therapy twice a week.
now, I'm searching for a wheelchair

from the things i read on the internet (mostly here), there are a lot of dogs who got to enjoy life even if they lost their ability to walk.

just a warning though, in the first few days/weeks, the experience (and cost) will be overwhelming. but as time passes by, it will get better because taking care of him will be part of your routine.. :)