FCE and extensor rigidity (stiff leg)

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Jpuppy

FCE and extensor rigidity (stiff leg)

Post by Jpuppy »

We are going on 2 months post FCE ( she had two, the second one 2 weeks after the first.) the second embolism caused much more damage (l5-L6.) she was Dx via MRI (both times.) we have done PT, hydro therapy, underwater treadmill, acupuncture. You name it, we do it. 4 weeks ago we even tried a stem cell procedure, which as we understand is still untested for FCEs but has good prognosis for DM. Our biggest issue is her right leg will not flex more then 10 degrees. We can not do any "bicycle" or any other PT to that leg what so ever as it refuses to bend but will bend when under anesthesia. This has been an issue since the second embolism. She's under the care of 6 different vets and a physical therapist that don't have answers on why the leg won't bend other then its neuro based, but they haven't seen one go this long or not take any ROM excersise, you can't force it either.
Anyone else experience this? Reading up on Botox injections to see if that would work.
She also has to be expressed, this hasn't changed either post stem cell.
critters
Founding Member

Re: FCE and extensor rigidity (stiff leg)

Post by critters »

Jpuppy wrote:We are going on 2 months post FCE ( she had two, the second one 2 weeks after the first.) the second embolism caused much more damage (l5-L6.) she was Dx via MRI (both times.) we have done PT, hydro therapy, underwater treadmill, acupuncture. You name it, we do it. 4 weeks ago we even tried a stem cell procedure, which as we understand is still untested for FCEs but has good prognosis for DM. Our biggest issue is her right leg will not flex more then 10 degrees. We can not do any "bicycle" or any other PT to that leg what so ever as it refuses to bend but will bend when under anesthesia. This has been an issue since the second embolism. She's under the care of 6 different vets and a physical therapist that don't have answers on why the leg won't bend other then its neuro based, but they haven't seen one go this long or not take any ROM excersise, you can't force it either.
Anyone else experience this? Reading up on Botox injections to see if that would work. Hmm. Interesting! I'm NO Botox expert, but it seems to me that it should work.
She also has to be expressed, this hasn't changed either post stem cell.
:slant: I'm thinking she's just spastic. It can happen with spinal cord injuries. Have they tried any anti spastic drugs? It's also typical with SCI that 1 limb is more affected than the other. I wouldn't force it, either.
Jpuppy

Re: FCE and extensor rigidity (stiff leg)

Post by Jpuppy »

I'll ask about the antispastic drugs today! Thank you. She goes in for her second stem cell injection. The reading I have done on Botox seems promising. It seemed her vets thought until the sciatic and femoral nerves come back which handle the flexion and extension function she will continue to be in extension. As the nerves currently are only sending the extension single. But at this point her muscles are so tight even if those nerves were working the muscles would force it back? Just my opinion and the ortho vet kind nodded and said well yeah.