Leaking Started In FCE recovery

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Jpuppy

Leaking Started In FCE recovery

Post by Jpuppy »

We are about 10 weeks of recovery on our dog with an FCE. She also had stem cell injected to help as well and she's about 6 weeks in from her first procedure and 2 from her second. She has now started leaking (was not leaking before but would not urintae on her own.)
Has anyone else experienced this during their recovery prior to getting urine function back??
I am hoping that's why it's happening.
CarolC

Re: Leaking Started In FCE recovery

Post by CarolC »

I can't remember anyone reporting a dog that went from unable to urinate to leaking during recovery, so it seems like it is not that common. One possibility is perhaps she could be starting a urinary infection. Leaking can be a sign of UTI, which could have begun when she was unable to urinate (because urine remaining in the bladder too long will create an environment where germs can grow). You might kind of observe her and see if you notice any change in color or odor of her urine, or you might just want to have her checked even if you see no obvious change, sometimes you can have a UTI beginning and the color and odor are not noticeable. Did she possibly start steroids recently, like prednisone? That can make them drink more and need to urinate more. For a dog that is not as mobile as usual and can't run to the back door to tell you she needs to go out, that can result in bedwetting, even though she has control. Did they put her on any other medication, such as something to relax the sphincter because she was previously hard to express? That could do it. Not sure, just trying to think what might be going on.

:welcome:
Jpuppy

Post by Jpuppy »

That was my only other thought was a UTI. She did have a UTI previously. Which we treated her for and retested and it was cleared about 2 weeks ago. She never leaked during that UTI (and it was a pretty bad one.)
She hasn't been on any meds for a while, so it wouldn't be anything related to meds.
And its not a full bladder creating the issue. That occurred in the beginning until we got the expressing down.
I'll retest for a UTI, I just find it interesting as th Bugs slowly start functioning that we go from a non leaky bladder to a leaky bladder. I just am not sure what others have experienced once urine function comes back.
They go from not being able to urinate to walking outside one day and being able to?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My Koi Boy became leaky, but I don't know what his leak level was before. I can't remember if Buddy leaked as he recovered or not...