cocker spaniel ruptured disk

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
dlep1

cocker spaniel ruptured disk

Post by dlep1 »

hello,

my name is Dawn and I'm currently deployed; my parents been watching my cocker spaniel during my deployment. I got called saying that porter wasn't able to walk hind legs, dad said he noticed the day prior that Porter was not acting his usual self just walking slowly. Next day Porter could not walk, Parents took Porter to a vet which I was okay with getting MRI then into surgery. This is my second experience with spinal surgery, two years ago I went through the same scenario but last time Porter was in a lot more pain. Surgery appear to have went good from this recent surgery, doctor called me yesterday after apx 12 hrs of surgery to inform me that porter was still not responding to pinch test on rear toes, she though maybe possibly a blood clot or blood left behind, she asked for second MRI, which I concented. reading through the different forums here I see that possibly it can take up to 48 hrs to respond to pinch test.

2 years ago when I went through this same surgery I had Porter back walking within a week from when I brought him home, I kenneled him and worked with his hind legs regularly.

Now that I'm not home I told my parents that there will be a lot of work with them working with his range of motion along with keeping him kenneled. I'm praying that Porter will be able to walk again, and hopeful that with hard work and working with his legs that my parents will be able to help rehabilitate Porter to walk.

I was also told that 24-48 hrs after surgery that possibly Porters system could deteiate causing possible death, which I did not want to hear, let alone being over 5000 miles away.

Porter is a strong pup and we walked daily and he was very active, I hope that everything works out and through work that Porter will regain a life that he can walk. Im okay if he does not get full activity back in his back legs, for dogs are a lot stronger than humans In getting around with disability. I know I made the right decision for surgery again, I just know that my parents will have a lot of work with him once he gets home from hospital.
CarolC

Re: cocker spaniel ruptured disk

Post by CarolC »

:gang:

So you are doing long-distance caregiving, and it sounds like you have done everything that can be done, so he is a lucky dog. I imagine your parents will be asking you, if they have any questions about the crating and aftercare, but please tell them they can also post here if they like. I'm not sure about the 48 hours, for some reason, just an unscientific impression I've got from reading posts over the years, there seem to be a goodly number of cases that do not seem to show improvement for about 6 weeks, which is very stressful for the owner, and some cases where it takes literally months, but I always say a slow recovery is still a recovery. Here are some links about the healing of nerves, crating and bladder care.

Healing of nerves:
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/healingnerves.htm
Crating:
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/CrateRRP.htm
Healing of discs:
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/healingdisc.htm
Bladder care:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16027
Bowel management:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: I bet they mean the progressive process, basically death of the spinal cord, which is luckily rare. I'm having a brain fart on the name of the process, but I bet CarolC will come up with it! I wouldn't worry excessively about that, but they have to tell you everything. Like Carol says, at least a partial recovery is typical, and it takes time.
dlep1

Post by dlep1 »

I'm sure they are giving me worst case scenario. Porter has spent 4 nights in hospital which is okay, my parents picking him up today :} they will have to express the bladder still, and continue to work physical therapy. I'm having high hopes, I know that this time it will probably take alittle longer of a recovery time. I have 6 months left before I go home and it would be nice if he gets some of his movement in his back legs.

as of today still not much from his back legs, I'm told that tech been doing range of motion every 4-6 hours; they also have taken him outside in like a sling to support him but not much assistance from Porter, don't think that the brain is sensing his hind legs.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It sounds like a reference to myelomalacia? It is a rare complication. I agree he is probably just giving the worst case, like critters says they have to tell you everything.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/Myelomalacia.pdf
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yeah, THAT'S what I was thinking about. :thankyou:
dlep1

Post by dlep1 »

it's been 5 and half days since surgery. Porter has a lot of energy, eating well, bladder seems to extract easily. will be kenneling him for apx 2-3 weeks and take out to go outside and therapy, check up is in 2 weeks.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

That sounds good to have been so recent!
dlep1

Post by dlep1 »

it's been 10 days since surgery and Porter still is not moving his hind legs, parents have been working with him with physical therapy. He wangs his tail; which I think is weird since he isn't moving his legs. I think that its a good sign that at least he can move his tail. I'm staying hopeful that it will just take longer for him to move his back legs.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes! Wagging his tail is a very good sign!!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

10 days isn't long. Recovery can take months and even years. They can have a good life even without walking, but it's WAY too soon to say that he will or won't. It's vastly likely he'll recover at least partially given enough time, but nobody can say that he'll recover fully. To repeat, he can still have a great life walking or no.
rick45

Post by rick45 »

I'm going through the same with my cocker at the moment it's been 10 days since surgery and still no sensation in her back legs
I know how your feeling