Regaining Bladder Control

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Jpuppy

Regaining Bladder Control

Post by Jpuppy »

We are starting to experience bladder control. It has now been almost 6 months since her FCE. We took our first road trip even though she still has extensor Ridgity and can not been her leg. Our first morning out of town she peed a little on her own. This has been on going the past 4 days. Sometimes she pees just a little the one time sometimes she will pee a little two or three times. Then we express her to empty her bladder. Curious how everyone else had bladder control come back. She's been leaking (some days excessively for a few months now) while other days she doesn't leak at all. No uti. Wondering if this next phase takes weeks or months?? Happy to have her final pee on her own! Now the question will be will she continue with out having the urge to mark at home. What have you all seen when urine function comes back? I can't imagine they go from not peeing on their own to 100% self sufficient over night?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Regaining Bladder Control

Post by critters »

Jpuppy wrote:We are starting to experience bladder control. It has now been almost 6 months since her FCE. We took our first road trip even though she still has extensor Ridgity and can not been her leg. Our first morning out of town she peed a little on her own. This has been on going the past 4 days. Sometimes she pees just a little the one time sometimes she will pee a little two or three times. Then we express her to empty her bladder. Curious how everyone else had bladder control come back. She's been leaking (some days excessively for a few months now) while other days she doesn't leak at all. No uti. Wondering if this next phase takes weeks or months?? Yes. :D Happy to have her final pee on her own! Now the question will be will she continue with out having the urge to mark at home. Do you think she's marking, or leaking? Leaking isn't unusual. What have you all seen when urine function comes back? I can't imagine they go from not peeing on their own to 100% self sufficient over night?Not usually.
Jpuppy

Post by Jpuppy »

She's definetley doing both. She wears a diaper at home because she leaks and has been. But before this weekend she hasn't gone inside to potty and actually had any urine come out while she walks around. She only leaks when she is laying down. So to see her walk and pee tells me she's urinating on her own and likely doing so because she has always been a marker. New smells other dogs pee in that area. She doesn't have that same stimulation at home. So that's why I said she's marking. :)
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The only thing I can add is, recovery continues literally for years, so even after 6 months you can continue to see gradual small improvements taking place over time.
Jpuppy

Post by Jpuppy »

Thank you. We do realize that even though we have been told where she is today is likely all we get. I was even told urine function returning after 6 months was unlikely. Just crossing my fingers her leg releases in time so we can start back on physical therapy.
And ofcourse we get home and she won't pee again.