Many years later

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
anniesgirl

Many years later

Post by anniesgirl »

Hi everyone. I was just looking at my girl today. She had an FCE when she was six. She is now fourteen! She is still here, limpy, silly, and enjoying life. I just wanted to give hope to those of you going through this. This site helped me so much when I was so scared. She had no movement from her neck down at the time. She went to NC State, and rehab. She is a normal, mostly blind, deaf, old girl who wags her tail, poops and pee's on her own, and lives life! Hang in there!
CarolC

Re: Many years later

Post by CarolC »

Talk about happy endings! What a wonderful update. :wub:

:welcomeback:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Great news! Maybe eventually CarolC or FYI will link your original post up to this one so people can read the whole story. :thankyou:
FYI

Post by FYI »

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:thankyou:
RVJordan

Post by RVJordan »

Thanks Mary, my 4 yr to old Pom had one Saturday. Only his back legs are affected. Scared me to death.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: RVJordan! Post if you have any questions; MANY people and critters have been down that road.
jaseky

Post by jaseky »

Is FCE the same as a spinal stroke?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

jaseky wrote:Is FCE the same as a spinal stroke?
That's right.
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/06/03/fibrocartilaginous-embolism.aspx wrote:A fibrocartilaginous embolism, or FCE for short, is a blockage in a blood vessel in the spinal cord. It’s often referred to as a spinal cord stroke.
pdgal

Post by pdgal »

I love happy endings :')) Thanks for updating! This gives hope to a lot of pet owners out there :wub:
jaseky

Post by jaseky »

How long did it take for your girl to recover? My pug boy had one in December 3 weeks after surgery. Long story short... born with hemivertabrae. Said he'd be paralyzed & incontinent by 9 mos. He ignored that.... walked & ran & lifted his leg to pee, pooped in the normal position - you could tell he wasn't 'normal'. Continent as the day is long. Fast forward 4 yrs. he herniated what the doc thought to be 3 discs. One turned out to be his birth defect & the surgeon took the liberty to decompress it without consulting me. He was progressing & peeing on his own after surgery until he had the FCE. Big set back. Been incontinent since. Doing rehab twice a week for 2 months now once a week. So expensive! I do see progress but very slow. He's taking a few steps here & there but not totally upright when he does. He's very weak in his back end-very atrophied. I'd love to hear your story!
DonaldTwigg

Post by DonaldTwigg »

anniesgirl wrote:Hi everyone. I was just looking at my girl today. She had an FCE when she was six. She is now fourteen! She is still here, limpy, silly, and enjoying life. I just wanted to give hope to those of you going through this. This site helped me so much when I was so scared. She had no movement from her neck down at the time. She went to NC State, and rehab. She is a normal, mostly blind, deaf, old girl who wags her tail, poops and pee's on her own, and lives life! Hang in there!
You really gave me hope. Mine too has an FCE and I was losing all the hope, but your post inspired me a lot. Not going to give up!

BTW, just joined; a friend of mine guided me to his website. Hope to learn a lot.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:strobe: DonaldTwigg!
PaulSnyder

Post by PaulSnyder »

DonaldTwigg wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 am
anniesgirl wrote:Hi everyone. I was just looking at my girl today. She had an FCE when she was six. She is now fourteen! She is still here, limpy, silly, and enjoying life. I just wanted to give hope to those of you going through this. This site helped me so much when I was so scared. She had no movement from her neck down at the time. She went to NC State, and rehab. She is a normal, mostly blind, deaf, old girl who wags her tail, poops and pee's on her own, and lives life! Hang in there!
You really gave me hope. Mine too has an FCE and I was losing all the hope, but your post inspired me a lot. Not going to give up!

BTW, just joined; a friend of mine guided me to his website. Hope to learn a lot.
You both have inspired me a lot and gave me hope when I was feeling totally helpless. I'll hang in!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: PaulSnyder!