6 months post-op therapy options

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
jds567

6 months post-op therapy options

Post by jds567 »

Hi,

I am new to the group. I have a 4 year old mini dachshund that had surgery on April 1, 2016, so almost 6 months post-op. She went into surgery with no DPS 12 hours after she initially went down and lost DPS somewhere within 0-8 hours prior to surgery. She received hydrotherapy with the underwater treadmill for 5 weeks 3x a week beginning 3 weeks post-op. I provided the daily range of motion exercises as prescribed. I was unable to financially continue therapy with her therapist. He did not believe in laser or acupuncture. She came home needing to have her bladder expressed and still does. She's making slow progress, but progress is definitely noted. She currently gets hydrotherapy at home in the tub 3x a week and she also uses the treadmill 2-3x a week. She has been randomly attempting to stand up and walk drunkingly for small distances. I believe it may be spinal walking. She has a wheelchair and will move her hind legs when moving around in the wheelchair.

My question is in regards to therapy options at this point. I finally have a few extra dollars to explore some alternative therapy. I have an appointment scheduled with a new vet that does alternative therapy options. I'm consulting with her in regards to acupuncture. They will let me know once she is evaluated if she is a good candidate for acupuncture or if something else will better suit her needs. I'd like to hear from others that may have done therapy this far out from surgery. Which therapy have you tried and with what outcome? I'm just trying to get prepared for what they may tell me. I've accepted that she may never get any better, however I'm doing my best to try to increase her odds of being able to accomplish the most she can.

Thanks in advance!
critters
Founding Member

Re: 6 months post-op therapy options

Post by critters »

:strobe: Nobody here in my house has ever had acupuncture or any of that, but I have to say that your exercise schedule sounds GREAT to me!! Improvement can continue for even years.
ranit

Post by ranit »

Hi,
We have been two and a half years after paralysis. His rehabilitation included hydrotherapy and 3 months after we added acupuncture and laser. The dog started walking three months after paralysis. Today he goes on four legs, we did hydrotherapy for about a year. To date, there is still improvments, but in very small steps over time. He is a large dog and a heavy one (more than 110 pounds). Because he puts more weight on the front legs, He has pain in the shoulders. Acupuncture and laser are very helpful. If you can afford -It is highly recommended.
Good Luck :P
Samueljack

Post by Samueljack »

Can you help me?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Samueljack wrote:Can you help me?
:strobe: What's wrong, Samueljack?