Corgi with suspected DM

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
sheenal83

Corgi with suspected DM

Post by sheenal83 »

Hello! I would greatly appreciate any advice. I have a 12 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Sayde who is experiencing some paralysis in her hind legs. Her right leg is the worst; she seems to drag it and can't flip her paw upright. The left leg still has some sensation, according to the vet. She is still able to walk fairly well, but has a harder time getting up after laying down or going up a step. My dad has helped me build ramps for my back door and garage entry door, which she uses pretty well. The vet said that she will probably progress to needing wheels to get around. Is it best to start using them now or wait until she is more unstable? Will she use the wheels all the time or just outside the house? I don't know what to expect or what I can start doing now to prepare.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
CarolC

Re: Corgi with suspected DM

Post by CarolC »

Hi sheenal83,

The person who can help you best is Bobbie. She runs a Corgis on Wheels yahoo group, has experience with DM, is a wheelchair expert, and has helped Corgis get wheelchairs through CorgiAid for years. (She also is really good at building ramps! :wink: )

I contacted her and she says she can't log in from where she is right now, but here is the information she sent for you:
Bobbie in an email wrote:I can't get logged in from here but please tell her to look for our yahoo group. The link and lots of others is at http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels Scroll past the book info to find the resource links
Hope this helps!

:welcome: