Puppy with Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Nstocker48

Puppy with Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Post by Nstocker48 »

My 6 month German Shepherd was just diagnosed with Cerebellar Hypoplasia. I've noticed some OCD traits about my pup which the vet said is also neurotic and was wondering if anyone else with dogs with CH have obsessive behaviors? My dog likes to circle and pace a lot but my biggest concern is his self biting, almost as if he had fleas that were bothering him.

I was told to try to stop him when he starts, but I've had a really hard time keeping him distracted more than a minute or so and then he starts back up; he'll bite at the same spot for 10-15 mins and I'm worried it will progress over time eventually start biting spots of fur off him. Does anyone have any advice to help keep him from biting at himself? I've tried treats for distraction, scatching his good spots (that get his leg going and he mellows out), trying to put toys/bones in his mouth, and sour apple spray.

Any and all advice is appreciated, even if it doesn't specifically address my question. He's my first puppy (besides family dogs growing up) and i got him to be a smart, hiking GSD, so I was a little caught of guard, but always suspected something neurological when I got him. I've picked up a lot on how to help him even before diagnosed since he never seemed to have control ovwr his back legs, and would always like to learn any tips from owners with dogs with CH, there really isn't much online and I'd love to hear from other pet owners.

Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Puppy with Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Post by critters »

I have/had 4 of the brain damaged sort. 1 has such severe behavioral and personality problems that I call him autistic. I suspect that your baby is feeling things in that area, and I suggest a trial of gabapentin. None of my CHers have had that problem, but 1 particular spinal cord injured boy had it rather extremely. Yes, biting can cause skin breakdown or, in rare cases, extreme bodily damage.

I work with a woman who had a severe stroke, and she's been having problems with extreme pain in the paralyzed leg, so I can imagine something like that happening to a critter.

PS--I would NOT use "treats as a distraction" for fear of rewarding the behavior!!! If you want to use treats, try a treat after he's already stopped biting. If all else fails, you might have to use a cone, etc. to keep him from getting to it until you can find a more permanent solution.