puppies hind legs paralysed

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
babygracie

puppies hind legs paralysed

Post by babygracie »

Hi everyone
I picked up a stray puppy two days ago.who's been hit by a vehicle..her hind legs are limp and she has no feelings at all..But she's got a good appetite..she's got wounds on her back legs probably where the vehicle hit her..I took her to the vet and she's on antibiotics for the wounds and wants her to get some rest.she's about 3 months old..her back legs are like two chopsticks if you know what I mean.and just hanging limp..she's an absolute darling and I would do anything to make her walk again.she passes urine..what type of physio and treatment can I do on her? Please advice as she is so tiny and breaks my heart to see her like this..
CarolC

Re: puppies hind legs paralysed

Post by CarolC »

She is a very lucky dog since you rescued her. :wub: Can you tell what breed she is, or how big she is going to be?
Did the vet mention whether she has any feeling in her feet? Sometimes they might be limp, but the dog may still be able to feel something called "deep pain sensation" which the vet can check by squeezing the toes to look for a response.
Did they do any x-rays or other imaging of her spine? Can you yourself see anything on her spine, for example a bump like a dislocation, or anything like that? Does she have any sore spots on her spine that you can tell?
I would not do any therapy on her right now, I think I'd be inclined to let her rest for a while, like maybe 6-8 weeks. Did the vet say anything about crating her and keeping her quiet during her healing period?
I think something important right now is to try to determine if she is emptying her bladder fully. Can you tell if she seems to be doing that normally?

:welcome:
babygracie

Post by babygracie »

Hi carol
thanks for replying..well she is a Asian street pooch..she will grow up to about 15 kgs..when I tickle her feet she moves them..I do this regularly and when I do this both her feet move..The xray doesn't reveal any broken bones..no sore spots in her spine..she empties her bladder well..But one side of her tummy it protrudes a bit..she eats very well and tries to drag herself..but she is kept in a crate.she's got wounds on the her legs probably where the vehicle knocked her.she's on antibiotics and the wounds seem to be healing fast.her back legs are like two chopsticks if u know what I mean.has become very thin compared to the front legs..but whenever I tickle her paws she moves them.I feel the deep paid sensation is there..since she rapidly moves them when being tickled..
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I can't see the puppy but if her legs are thin like chopsticks, it makes me think she has not had use of them for longer than would be explained by a recent injury. The wounds on her legs could be from dragging, do you think? Is she able to bend her legs at the knees when you try to bend them? On the lump on her tummy, did the vet check her for a hernia? That is something that can occur with trauma, whether a car accident or being kicked or whatever. It might need attention at some point. I guess you are monitoring it. If she is moving her legs when you stimulate her feet, that is great. The more you stimulate her feet, the more you give the body something to work with, mapping the pathways from the brain to the toes. Have you thought about an adjustable wheelchair that grows with her? She could run around in it with her hind legs off the ground, and you also have the option of setting up the wheelchair so she can have all 4 feet on the ground for therapy. It is wonderful of you to help this puppy.
:wub:
babygracie

Post by babygracie »

Hi thank you so much for being in touch with me.yes the vets says it's a hernia due to the accident.yes I can bend her knees..I massage her twice daily with ayurveda oils..and I tickle her paws and both legs responds to that..yes wheelchair is a option but I'm adamant to make her walk again.love her to bits..and I'm doing everything I can.is there any way that I can send you her picture?thanks so much for your response.it means a lot. .This poor baby was dumped on the road inside a cardboard box..such evil people...she's so lively and happy now despite what she's been through at such a young age..
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, good. She is a lucky dog. :D

You can upload photos into your post. There is a button that says UPLOAD ATTACHMENT down below where you write your message. It will let you upload a photo straight from your computer. If your photo is too large, you can resize it several ways. A good place to resize it is www.online-image-editor.com.
babygracie

Post by babygracie »

Hi carol..I have uploaded my baby gracie pics..I give her regular massages and everyting I pinch her paws hard she moves them and tries to move away..hope this is a good sign..
Attachments
oie_1964257LtXHYKVI-1.jpg
oie_1964516PMuVPz4s.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: She's a cutie! Is she taking something like prednisone? This can help reduce inflammation in the spinal cord to help her get better.

Yes, movement is a good sign!
babygracie

Post by babygracie »

Hi carol..no not yet she was on antibiotics for her wounds..she has to go to the vet in a few days..he might prescribe something for the spine..will keep u posted.
thanks once again
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

She is adorable, what a cute dog. The abrasions on her legs and the tops of her toes look like they might be from dragging. Dogs get "road rash" on different parts of their hips/legs/feet depending on what position they choose to drag in. If she is pulling herself along using her front feet, with her hips up off the ground and her legs straight back (I call it "froggy legs") then she can get the marks right on the tops of her feet and her knees. One solution for this is, crate her as you are doing so they will heal, and then when she is healed and you want her to be able to drag around, protect her with something called a drag bag. You can buy them or make them. Another option is baby clothes. Here are a couple of pictures. The little dog in the pink pants at the bottom is dragging in the way I think your dog might be doing...is that right?
Bag.gif
http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-drag-bag
http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-drag-bag
pants.jpg
babygracie

Post by babygracie »

Yes that is exactly how she drags herself.I crate her when I go out usually..her xray show a dislocation of her spine..im taking her to the vet for further examination.apart from that she is lively and eats well..