Newly Paralyzed Bichon

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
IvyLeagueInk

Newly Paralyzed Bichon

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

Hello all, I am so relieved to have found this forum. I know I should be searching for answers, but I am really stressed (which doesn't help matters). Short story, went to sleep New Year's Eve and woke to 2017 with my dog 9 year old male Bichon, Snap being unable to use his hind legs. Laminectomy L1-L2 was performed Tuesday. I am trying to get him to evacuate his bowels so he can urinate (I am new to expressing). I am using a bath towel to hold his hind legs in position. Snap is definitely in distress, as he is panting and whimpering. Going to try to pet and calm him and then hoist him into position in another hour or so. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.Going to watch more videos on helping dogs poop. I stopped the Tramadol last night as I know that is slowing down his system. He has an appetite (giving him boiled chicken for now) and is able to drink yesterday and today without vomiting.
~ Terri Claire ~
14 year old Bichon, Ginger
9 year old Bichon (recently paralyzed), Snap
4 year old Pitt Mix, Madison
leighbeebry

Re: Newly Paralyzed Bichon

Post by leighbeebry »

I struggled at first but now it's second nature for me! My dog, Skipper, is partially paralyzed from her ribs down. We have to express her bladder and I express her bowels (my husband doesn't like it lol).

I kneel on one leg in front of the toilet with Skipper over my raised leg. Her head is away from me, bum on the toilet. I reach over her head and grab her hind legs from under mine (takes practice, but I only do it because she still moves her legs a tiny bit). With a few squares of toilet paper I squeeze gently like I'm trying to pick up a stack of coins. Release after a few seconds (I count to give, release for ten ,count to five again etc )and eventually they'll move their bowels. I keep doing this until she has had a "normal quantity" movement. Our pet sitter only expresses her bladder (as she's my husband). I think I'm the only one brave enough lol. My husband almost throws up cleaning up her "surprise twosies" as we call them, so I haven't pressured him to try it again.

Good luck! Be patient I only help Skipper poo 2 times a day, when we wake up and before bed. Sometimes she acts like she needs to in the afternoon so at occasionally do a third. But with a schedule of 2 poos and four to five pees a day, we don't have accidents and she can make it through the night.

I got this from a YouTube video so definitely search that. It took a few tries to get it down, but now I can get her to go every time. Be patient, if you can't get it, let your pup relax a bit (hour) veggie trying again. You don't want them to fear the bathroom. But it's SOOOOO convenient and is second nature for me now.

Good luck!!!! I'm 4 years in to this life and our fur baby is happy, healthy, and has a full life. It's not the end, it's just different than your used to. Let me know if you have other questions! This is a great place for advice and help and venting.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

IvyLeagueInk wrote:Hello all, I am so relieved to have found this forum. I know I should be searching for answers, but I am really stressed (which doesn't help matters). Short story, went to sleep New Year's Eve and woke to 2017 with my dog 9 year old male Bichon, Snap being unable to use his hind legs. Laminectomy L1-L2 was performed Tuesday. I am trying to get him to evacuate his bowels so he can urinate (I am new to expressing). I am using a bath towel to hold his hind legs in position. Snap is definitely in distress, as he is panting and whimpering. Going to try to pet and calm him and then hoist him into position in another hour or so. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.Going to watch more videos on helping dogs poop. I stopped the Tramadol last night as I know that is slowing down his system. He has an appetite (giving him boiled chicken for now) and is able to drink yesterday and today without vomiting.
I would continue the Tramadol. Panting and whimpering can be signs of pain. If I just had back surgery a week ago, I would want my pain meds. :medicine: The better pain control you have, the more his body will relax for expressing. If he continues to pant and whimper after being back on the Tramadol, I would let the vet know, as the pain control may not be adequate. If he seems constipated, the vet can give you a stool softener to help get him going.

Here is an article that shows some ways to help stimulate a dog to eliminate.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18586

However, if he is in pain that is likely to make him tense up and may slow things down as well. I think it may be partly a survival trait. An incapacitated animal in the wild does not want to mess his bed and attract predators. And a pet dog does not want to make a mess in the house when he knows he's not supposed to. Possibly if you take him outdoors (if your weather permits and you can keep his incision clean) he may be more relaxed doing his business in a familiar location. He probably did not eat much in the hospital.

It is true having the colon empty makes expressing easier, but often when you start squeezing the bladder it will cause the animal to defecate. That is one reason it helps to express the bowel before expressing the bladder.

It is also true that the location of your dog's injury in the lumbar region should make expressing easier. Is he dribbling or leaking? I would not expect him to be difficult to express, although he may be tensing up his abdomen due to pain. One trick with expressing the bladder on male dogs is to continue to squeeze for 10 seconds before moving your hands to another spot to try. Squeeze and hold that squeeze. If you can get a little out, you will soon be getting more. If you can't get any out, then I would recommend taking him to the vet tomorrow morning and have them give you another lesson. Sometimes it takes more than one lesson, you won't be their first client who came back for another lesson. As critters says, the staff at the vet were not born knowing how to express either, they had to learn, too, so they know what it's like and they will totally understand.

Hang in there, the first days are definitely the most stressful.

:grouph:
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

Thank you! I have seen some videos using the method you use. I am trying to sit him in a squatting position and stimulating his rectum but I may have it easier if he is laying on his side. I just had elbow surgery so holding him up is difficult unless my son is home or I have another person to help. He is urinating on his own, but not pooping. I felt it "right there" and was able to squeeze a bit out, but he did not let anything else go. Today is a new day, and I will try again.
As for Tramadol, I understand that he will be in more stress if in pain, but he stops whimpering when I pet him or just sit with him. He is not shaking or showing any other signs of pain and at this point, he needs to empty his bowels. He is eating now, (even mixing his kibble with some soft canned food, while before he would only eat boiled chicken) so hopefully we will have some progress or he will go on his own. He stays on a bed covered with wee wee pads, but I do move him to another bed and shift his position. He is pivoting with his front paws when he wants or needs something, so I will follow his lead. :thankyou: This is all so overwhelming :(
~ Terri Claire ~
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, I'm glad he responds to comforting. Just the hospital stay alone would be enough to upset him. I'm sure he is so glad to be home(!) Did not realize you just had elbow surgery. That certainly complicates things.

You might try some of the techniques in the article on bowel management, such as the q-tip method, with him lying down like you say, and see if he is ready to go today. That would reduce the lifting. In my experience, the position of the dog does not matter that much for expressing the bowel.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but if you can figure out a height and location that makes lifting him easiest, it might help your elbow in the long run. I have a back problem and I had my dog's crate up on a table, which saved a lot of bending. If you are having trouble getting him in and out of his crate, you might need one with a wider door. Try to make it easy for yourself. A baby crib can be a good option, it is a good height and the mattress wipes clean. We did have one beagle climb out of a baby crib on this board once, though, so you want to be sure he isn't going to do that.
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

CarolC wrote:OK, I'm glad he responds to comforting. Just the hospital stay alone would be enough to upset him. I'm sure he is so glad to be home(!) Did not realize you just had elbow surgery. That certainly complicates things.

You might try some of the techniques in the article on bowel management, such as the q-tip method, with him lying down like you say, and see if he is ready to go today. That would reduce the lifting. In my experience, the position of the dog does not matter that much for expressing the bowel.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but if you can figure out a height and location that makes lifting him easiest, it might help your elbow in the long run. I have a back problem and I had my dog's crate up on a table, which saved a lot of bending. If you are having trouble getting him in and out of his crate, you might need one with a wider door. Try to make it easy for yourself. A baby crib can be a good option, it is a good height and the mattress wipes clean. We did have one beagle climb out of a baby crib on this board once, though, so you want to be sure he isn't going to do that.
Thank you Carol C. I am able to have him squat by leaning my elbows on my knee, but not for very long. I will try after work with him on his side. Yes, I have tried Q-Tip, my finger with vaseline just on his anus (not up inside :shock: :shock: ) and even a match, as the sulfur plus the stick was a trick I was taught when training my older Bichon. So far no movement, but I feel his stool right there. He only just started to eat and drink, so I hope we have some success later on! The crate was just too difficult to reach in so I created a little den area for him. As long as he can see me, he is content. Yesterday the attempts at bowel movement were quite stressful for both of us. I will look at that section of the forum now while on my lunch break!
~ Terri Claire ~
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

UPDATE! I knew he had to go, but now he started barking and going to bite me whenever ever I tried to lift his thighs, knowing I was going to make him a bit uncomfortable. BUT, I had to. I started to think he is holding back because he knows not to go in the house.My son scooped him up and we brought him outside with the other two dogs because he started to waddle like he wanted to go with them (as things used to be). It's icy here in NYC, but out we all went to the yard, put a pad down and as soon as my son just lifted his tail, he urinated a pool! We waited as he was passing gas and puckering for about two minutes. Since I have always had success with a matchstick and vaseline, I snuck it in (only the tip)while my son had his rear up and in a squat....pucker pucker...POOOOOP! A huge sigh of relief! And I sure Snappy feels better! Now to get him to stop squealing when I lift him. Maybe wrap in a towel. :?:
~ Terri Claire ~
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

And it gets better! My son took the other two pooches and Snap started his front leg scooting to aim himself toward the side door and barked.
"You want to go OUTSIDE, buddy?"
Scooped him up and put him on a pad. The next thing I knew he scooted to the snow where he had some traction, got him self up enough to where he was baring a tiny bit of weight on one hind leg, urinated and pooped! The most monumental moment! Since then two more times with carrying him out and holding up his rear. WHEW......progress in only one week!!!!!
~ Terri Claire ~
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That is extremely encouraging! :hurray: It sounds like he doesn't mind the cold as much as going in the house. I hope your weather will stay dry. Is there a patio or something he could go out to if it starts getting wet again? He must feel so much better now. Would love to see a picture of him. I'm picturing him as all white for some reason, don't know why. :D
leighbeebry

Post by leighbeebry »

Skipper sometimes does the same, she asks to go out, but we're pretty sure she has no idea when she needs to go. It's been 4 years and she still acts so nervous if she has an accident in the house (and we NEVER scold her, ever ever). Once you all find a method that works, it'll be no time before it's all second nature! Keep positive, I'm sure he appreciates everything you're doing for him :)
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

CarolC wrote:That is extremely encouraging! :hurray: It sounds like he doesn't mind the cold as much as going in the house. I hope your weather will stay dry. Is there a patio or something he could go out to if it starts getting wet again? He must feel so much better now. Would love to see a picture of him. I'm picturing him as all white for some reason, don't know why. :D
Let me see if I remember how to insert and image on a forum Carol C. You can see tons on Facebook (Terri Claire) as well as his progress.Yes he is all white and unbiasedly adorable :lol: He is still letting both urine and feces (if he really has to) go in the house, but I am taking him out with the other two regardless, rain or shine. Trying to maintain as much of his routine as possible as it takes so little for it to be changed and then start from square one. He is communicating with me by his scooting, barking and crying. I am receptive enough to understand him or figure it out by trial and error. Always been a human empath, seems I am so with my dogs as well.
~ Terri Claire ~
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

leighbeebry wrote:Skipper sometimes does the same, she asks to go out, but we're pretty sure she has no idea when she needs to go. It's been 4 years and she still acts so nervous if she has an accident in the house (and we NEVER scold her, ever ever). Once you all find a method that works, it'll be no time before it's all second nature! Keep positive, I'm sure he appreciates everything you're doing for him :)
It is at least starting, but he does pee in the house. He will scoot off the pad when its wet. Last night he pooped inside and yelped. He's had a lot of fiber (pumpkin) to get things moving so it's understandable. Thank for the encouragement, as its only been a week and a half. Best wishes with Skipper
~ Terri Claire ~
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

Looking at the website now....trying to see if any of the splints could be used as protection. Need more of a guard not a splint that can cover his hind legs and slip on and off. Doggie shin guards?
~ Terri Claire ~
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here are some ideas. If these are not what you are picturing, please let me know more specifics and I can look some more.

Homemade crocheted
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16755&hilit=crochet#p88112

Homemade from pipe insulation
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14317&p=75494&hilit ... ipe#p75510

Many types of boots, some above the knee
http://www.dogbootsactive.com/

Velcro hock brace
http://www.animalrehab.on.ca/braces/braces.php
IvyLeagueInk

Post by IvyLeagueInk »

Carol C you are wonderful. I wish I found what I wanted at Handicapped pets, but, I found these and ordered...since he is a Bichon, I think the front will fit the hind and I'll have two sets. I do Like those proactive better (especially for outside!), but always leery of international shipping. THANK YOU. If the ones I get don't work outdoors, I will return and get the Proactive!
https://www.chewy.com/ultra-paws-leg-wr ... /dp/133364
~ Terri Claire ~