IVDD Paralyzed Pup, Need Advice

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
LaBaLo

IVDD Paralyzed Pup, Need Advice

Post by LaBaLo »

Hello All,

This is my first post here and I'm hoping to get some help and resources. Landis is my mom's dog, he is a cocker spaniel/Lhasa Apso mix and is about 9 years old. Landis has IVDD and cannot use his back legs anymore.

Here is the problem: Landis is a chewer. Despite having plenty of chew toys laying around, Landis insists on chewing through his drag bags. And the bags aren't exactly the cheapest things. Landis has chewed through four bags in the last week and my mom is livid (as she should be). However, my mom's solution to this problem is to buy a muzzle, which I am not fond of at all.

I would like to get him a wheelchair but since it's winter and we do not have a lot of space in our house, an investment like that has to wait a few months. Additionally, the dog cannot lay or sit while in the wheelchair, so that is not a real solution to the problem.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. We are at about our wits end here.

Thank you,

LaBaLo
CarolC

Re: IVDD Paralyzed Pup, Need Advice

Post by CarolC »

Yes, that would be frustrating. Once he chews through the fabric, does he try to lick or chew some part of his body, like his feet or his male area or anyplace?

:welcome:
LaBaLo

Post by LaBaLo »

No, he doesn't try to lick himself once he gets through the fabric of the bag. We keep a towel underneath him in the bag to act as a bit of a cushion because we have hard wood floors, and he does chew on the towel and tear it up when he finally gets through the drag bag. He's got plenty of chew toys, and he wears a diaper so the towel in the drag bag is never wet and it shouldn't be irritating in any way.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: That's a new one! Can you consistently do behavior modification?
LaBaLo

Post by LaBaLo »

Unfortunately, no. My mom works all day, my brother's schedule is inconsistent with school. I mostly work from home, but I have a job where I am tethered to my computer and spend a lot of time talking to students and on conference calls. Landis is never home alone, and we also have two cats so I don't think he's lonely... he's just a complicated individual.