Heartbroken, Guilty, Scared and Exhausted

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Smokey&Bandit

Heartbroken, Guilty, Scared and Exhausted

Post by Smokey&Bandit »

I have a 5 year old Cockapoo named Smokey. He just turned 5 last week. He is a pretty small dog weighing 13 pounds. He has always been healthy. Never any issues ever. He isn't over weight, he is well behaved and honestly a sweetheart. Him and his brother are my fur babies. I work from home and am with them 24/7. Last week I noticed my little guy acting different. It was very minor. My husband didn't notice anything. Friday he was favoring his left leg and he wouldn't jump up on the sofa. So, my husband and I thought maybe it was a sore leg (rough housing w his brother maybe). We said let's wait and see how he does over the weekend and if he is still sore we will take him to the Vet on Monday. Again, he has always been very healthy.

I wake up Monday and go to check and let them out to potty and see how he is doing. They sleep in our room but in their crates. It's their safe place and they don't mind it. Well Smokey seemed happy but couldn't walk right. His back legs were twisting. Very wobbly. Of course this panicked me and I just took him straight to the vet (didn't make an appointment - just ran in like a crazy person on the verge of a full melt down). The doctor examined him, watched him walk, did the paw test and said that he has A possible slipped disk.

She gave him prednisone, tramadol, a liquid muscle relaxer, and Pepcid. He is to be crated 24/7 and I'm to pick him up and carry him outside to go potty. After 7-10 days I'll take him back and depending on how he is doing we will do an x/ray and if no better surgery.

I'm shocked at how he can go from a sore leg to no feelings or much use in his back legs over night. I'm guilty as I knew something wasn't right and I waited to see instead of taking him that day. Im scared because I don't know if he will recover and I'm exhausted as I'm probably over doing it by babying Him and giving his brother snuggles as he knows something is wrong and trying to work to pay for his meds.

Has anyone had this issue with their dog? If so how soon does the prednisone work? When should I start seeing signs it's working or should I call my vet and let them know he isn't improving. I'm scared picking him up and putting extra strain on my shoulder (rotator cuff tear) by trying to hold him without hurting him any worse. My little guy is trying and he is frustrated. Like very vocal with his grumping. He isn't happy with being in his crate. I move it to be with me in my office during the day, living room after work so I can sit next to him and then back to the bedroom at night.

It's like his mind doesn't know his body isn't working properly. He thinks he can just take off and walk but his legs aren't working. Going poop is another story that we haven't got mastered yet. I try and help hold him up but he is frustrated as he doesn't like to be touched when going potty. But he can't stand on his on for more than 10 seconds and his one leg has no feeling the right one has some but. It much. Thoughts - anyone been through this?
CarolC

Re: Heartbroken, Guilty, Scared and Exhausted

Post by CarolC »

It sounds like your vet is taking good care of him, and you are, too. In my experience the first week of crating is when you have the most whining, which can wear you out listening to it, but hopefully after the first week he will realize that this is his new routine for now. In the meantime, it wears on your nerves and emotions hearing it because you are so concerned, and I'm not sure there's a good solution for that. I had to resort to ear plugs. I hope he is letting you get some sleep.

The prednisone will start to work right away but it takes time for swelling to go down and the nerves to start to recover, which is why crate rest + medication tends to be for several weeks. I would not expect to see him up and running around at the end of a week. With my dog, the vet put him on prednisone and we went back for a recheck and he seemed to have improved a little so we continued it. He ended up on prednisone for several weeks, and whined a lot the first week, but slowly he improved. On Dodgers' List they recommend 6-8 weeks of strict crating. It sounds like you are indeed being strict, so that is good.

We have another member here who was recovering from elbow surgery when her dog went down, it is so inconvenient when things all have to happen at once. I'm glad he isn't bigger, but you already have an issue. In fact, since his is fairly small, you may be tempted to do more than you should. I don't know what to recommend for that, except to think and brainstorm about ways to avoid lifting or make the lifting more comfortable for yourself.

You should not feel guilty at all. He was barely showing signs until that morning. If you had taken him to the emergency vet over the weekend with slight signs and no history of anything wrong (no history of back issues in him or his brother), I'm not sure how that appt would have gone, it depends on what vet you got. Some would just send him home with pain meds and instructions to keep him quiet and take him to his regular vet on Monday if he isn't better, which is kind of what you were doing anyway. If he'd been given a pain med, he might have been tempted to run around more than he should because he felt better, and made it even worse, so that's another way to look at it.

You can learn a lot about disk problems (he is one of the breeds that is susceptible to disk problems) on Dodger's List, http://www.dodgerslist.com
Here is some information about crating and conservative treatment.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/CrateRRP.htm
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/conservative.htm

Really it sounds like you are doing everything right, and it sounds like you have a good vet, so the thing to do is give him time and see how he will respond to treatment. It will be a stressful few weeks. It is very, very important not to let him start doing too much too soon if he starts to improve. It takes a full 6 weeks for a disk to heal if the dog has strict crating and doesn't do anything to make it worse. You may see him walking better in a few weeks, but he will still need to continue the rest to complete the healing. Afterward, you are going to want to think of ways to prevent him jumping or doing stairs, anything that might cause a recurrence.

Thank goodness you work from home. Is he able to urinate without assistance? If so, that is very encouraging.
Smokey&Bandit

Post by Smokey&Bandit »

Thank you so much for responding. Sometimes just being able to say what you are feeling and other people understand can make all the difference. My husband does help as well but Smokey is a momma's boy and we have always had a routine so he isn't as cooperative with his human daddy at times. Lol.

Today was a little tough as he seemed to have less control over his back legs. He has been able to use one off and on but today wasn't a great day. He can urinate and poop on his on for the most part, his issue is he is use to standing and getting in his position and he isn't able to, so when I left him to help it distracts him and he can't poop. Peeing is easier than pooping. Plus I think he may be getting comstipated from the tramadol.

I went to Pets Smart at lunch and got him crate bowls that attack the side of his cage. I actually ran into the vet tech while there. (Poor lady probably thinks I'm crazy as both times she has seen me I've been frantic and my hair standing in every direction, it's amazing how caring for a little dog can wipe a person out) The vet tech said that he may not be getting enough pain medicine, she called the doctor as we are standing in Pet Smart and I was told to give him his tramadol every 6 hours instead of 8 hours. So I changed him to that today. He is good in a crate/cage as he has always been in one at nights or if he got scared he would go to his cage. He is just frustrated I think because in his mind he can do all the things he use to and his body just isn't working right. The vet tech did show me how to lift him without hurting so I was very thankful for that. I'm going to call them tomorrow (they are closed on Wednesdays) and let them know how he doesn't in the morning. If no better they want to see him.

It's strange as one day he seems to be a little better and the next he seems to be worse. It's just scary. I love my little guy and honestly if he is in a wheelie cart I'm ok with that as long as he isn't in pain. I'm not sure at what point they consider surgery or I should say we consider surgery. So we wait out the crate treatment to see for 8 weeks or at what point do we consider it? I know there really isn't a right or wrong answer. This is all new to me and I've researched and researched. And some scares me and some takes some stress away.

Oh, and yes he does sleep through the night. He really is a good boy. I on the other hand have to find away to shut my mind off as I haven't been able to sleep and I'm sure I'm driving my husband a little crazy. Smokey and Bandit are our babies though. Thank you for all the advise. And links. I'm going to check them out.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Smokey&Bandit wrote: It's strange as one day he seems to be a little better and the next he seems to be worse. It's just scary. Yes, it's scary, but it's also typical with spinal cord problems. I love my little guy and honestly if he is in a wheelie cart I'm ok with that as long as he isn't in pain. I'm not sure at what point they consider surgery or I should say we consider surgery. So we wait out the crate treatment to see for 8 weeks or at what point do we consider it? I know there really isn't a right or wrong answer. This is all new to me and I've researched and researched. And some scares me and some takes some stress away. There isn't an answer. None of mine have ever had surgery for that, so I don't know anything personally about it.

Oh, and yes he does sleep through the night. He really is a good boy. I on the other hand have to find away to shut my mind off as I haven't been able to sleep and I'm sure I'm driving my husband a little crazy. I've been known to listen to audiobooks at night, or books via text-to-speech, or even music once in awhile. I just let it play all night, and it gives my brain something else to pay attention to. Smokey and Bandit are our babies though. Thank you for all the advise. And links. I'm going to check them out.
:slant:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

critters wrote:
Smokey&Bandit wrote:
Oh, and yes he does sleep through the night. He really is a good boy. I on the other hand have to find away to shut my mind off as I haven't been able to sleep and I'm sure I'm driving my husband a little crazy. I've been known to listen to audiobooks at night, or books via text-to-speech, or even music once in awhile. I just let it play all night, and it gives my brain something else to pay attention to. Smokey and Bandit are our babies though. Thank you for all the advise. And links. I'm going to check them out.
:slant:
I kind of do the same thing. I have a Sony radio that when I bought it I did not realize it has a button where you can press Play and it just plays all day, and another button where if you press Play it plays for a set amount of time and turns itself off. I think it is preset for 2 hours. Sometimes I put it on low when I can't unwind to sleep and let it shut itself off after I fall asleep.

:countsheep:
Smokey&Bandit

Post by Smokey&Bandit »

Thank you for all the advise. Today was much better. He was able to go potty (with help of holding him up). He was able to use his right leg pretty decent the few times I took him out today. I can't even tell you how much joy and hope this gave me. Just a small improvement and his feisty attitude again was what I needed.

I had given him his tramadol about an hour before I got him out of his cage to go potty. So I think he wasn't in as much pain. When when went out. I gave him his prednisone, muscle relaxer and Pepcid once we were back in and back in his cage. I took advise from Dodgerslist and put his cage up by the window in my office. Actually where he normally would lay when I'm working. (Not sure why I didn't think of this before). So today him and his brother watched out the window for the exciting things that happen in the outside world. Smokey was in His cage and Bandit was next to him on the sofa. They were snuggling through the cage (they love each other). I do believe it made a difference as he seemed happier and not as depressed and so did his brother. He also ate very well earlier today.

That being said this evening he just wasn't motivated to even try to go potty. I took him out and he just sat. Didn't attempt to stand at all. I think he was just tired and it was also before his next dose of medicine was due so he was in pain possibly. I didn't force him. I tried to encourage but just brought him back in and gave him his meds. The initial shock has worn off and I'm starting to fall in to a routine which is still exhausting but becoming easier. (For a little guy it's a lot of work. I have so much respect for all of you).

I think I'll try the radio tonight. I sleep light and catch myself going to check on him throughout the night. I'm afraid he will move around and get his feet trapped or positioned into the wrong way as he still can't really feel them.

Speaking of the positioning of his feet, my
Little guy sits and it's like his one leg or at times both legs are straight out in front of him. Not bent like normal. I correct this position and have him lay down but he keeps doing it. Is this normal?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Smokey&Bandit wrote: Speaking of the positioning of his feet, my
Little guy sits and it's like his one leg or at times both legs are straight out in front of him. Not bent like normal. I correct this position and have him lay down but he keeps doing it. Is this normal?
Yes, that is totally normal, sitting kind of like a dolly, legs straight forward, supporting himself with his front feet on either side of his thighs.

It is very encouraging that he did his toileting so well. They say to carry him out to the yard (sounds like you are) and keep the dog on a leash and not let him walk any more than absolutely necessary, to prevent a set-back or further injury.

You want to kind of watch and be sure he does urinate frequently enough. Below is a link to an expressing video. Expressing is where you squeeze his tummy to help him urinate. He is urinating on his own, but since he didn't go tonight (tired or for whatever reason) in that case it would be helpful to assist him and be sure he gets the job done. If he does not empty frequently enough (like every 8 hours or less) he is more likely to get a urinary tract infection or develop stones/crystals. It certainly can seem complicated (in an already complicated life) to schedule toileting around pain meds, but it's worth trying that if you think that was the issue.

When a dog has a disk problem it can affect the ability to urinate. Depending on where the disk problem is (neck, upper back, mid back, lower back) it can either cause the dog to have problems initiating urination, or the opposite problem (dribbling and leaking). It may not be easy to figure out what is going on, since he seemed to be urinating fine earlier in the day. It would help to know where the injury is. Did the vet show you where he thinks the disk problem is? I thought you said earlier, but looking back through the posts I don't see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meFowjDG4IQ
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I call that the "neuro sit." :D
Smokey&Bandit

Post by Smokey&Bandit »

Does sitting like that damage their spinal cord any more than it is already? We are Day 6 and we have had good days and bad days. Getting his medicine right is a challenge (for pain). The doctor says every 8 hours. However, by 6 hours he is typically in pain again. I called and she said not to give it any sooner but to give him 2 instead of 1 (which would total 25mg). If 1 helps at every 6 hours I'm not sure why I'd give him 2 every 8 hours. I did this yesterday and was still in pain at 6 hours and then sleepy and no energy the rest of the day. He just seems to do better at 1 every 6 hours. I'm going to call her back tomorrow.

Today I only gave him one (an hour before I get him Up to go potty.). He was pretty alert. We went out and he peed and pooped. I think he is use to me holding his backend up now. His right leg had movement even those his foot would still knuckle under. His left leg still nothing. Same as day 1. My main goal is to keep him comfortable and not in pain or letting him injure himself any further.

I also ordered him a doggy cooling mat to put in his cage for a few hours a day as I'm sure laying all day he gets warm and it becomes uncomfortable. (It would for me). It will be be here Monday. So I'm hoping they will help also.

I'm willing to try anything as long as it helps him. Oh P.S. I tried Pumpkin this morning. It was a fail. He looked at me like I was crazy. Lol. He wasn't interested. I was hoping it would loosen his stool so he wouldn't have as much trouble going potty. However it must taste horrible as he simply turned his head. He is stubborn but eats good so I'm not concerned. Just found it funny that I thought it would be a good treat (and helpful) and if he could talk would have told me to eat it.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You might try lactulose, which is a sweet, yummy liquid prescription softener, which you may have to get at a drug store. You can squirt it in his mouth or mix it in food.

As far as I know, neuro sitting doesn't hurt anything. It usually passes as they recover.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Smokey&Bandit wrote: Just found it funny that I thought it would be a good treat (and helpful) and if he could talk would have told me to eat it.
Ha! "You eat it!" :hysterical: Funny how you think they are going to love something and then they turn their nose up at it. The truth is I didn't have very good luck with pumpkin when I tried it either, however some people report real success with it. I agree on the lactulose syrup, and it's a lot easier to give than always having a half-eaten can of pumpkin in the fridge with tin foil over it. :wink:

Ditto on the sitting. I've never heard anyone say they shouldn't do it, and it did not prevent my dog from learning to walk again. :)
Smokey&Bandit

Post by Smokey&Bandit »

Yeah Pumpkin was a no go. Lol. My pup pooped like a champ on Monday. Yesterday was a tough day. It's like he lost all the progress he made. I'm not sure why he was in so much pain yesterday. It was day 7 of cage rest. I have been strict with cage rest. Only taking him out when he has to go potty. When he goes potty I hold his rear end to assist so he isn't falling or dragging his feet. He isn't allowed to walk far (a few steps at most).

So I was surprised that yesterday he was groaning and stiff (you could tell he was in pain). He had his meds like normal. I did increase his pain meds to the highest dose last night hoping he could get good rest.

Did your dog have set backs like these? He hasn't had surgery. He goes Tomorrow for a check up to see how he is progressing. Sunday I would have said great, yesterday it seems we are back to day 1.

How long did it take for you to se a real difference in your pups progress? I swear it's almost like he is depressed. Maybe that's my emotions as I miss cuddling with him and think he misses it also. Lol.

Thanks.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Ups and downs are typical, but the net outcome tends toward up.