Skin twitching in paralysed dog

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Buddy's_Mum

Skin twitching in paralysed dog

Post by Buddy's_Mum »

Hello everyone =)

My gorgeous Buddy is about 2.5 weeks out of a spinal injury (grade 5 - total rear leg paralysis). He is pretty happy and eating and drinking etc.

But his back the last few days is twitching. It's like his skin is crawling. Or it will all shift to one side, and twitch back. It's getting quite pronounced. It doesn't seem to cause pain. Sometimes it will shift to one side and stay there for a few seconds and he looks uncomfortable then (like a cramp). He is still on Gabapentin for pain, and Diazepam (valium) for his bladder. Plus antibiotics for his bladder infection. We have tramadol if we need.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's stressing me out =( I asked the vet a few days ago and she wasn't concerned but it is getting more pronounced. We have our neuro check up Monday =)

Thanks everyone
critters
Founding Member

Re: Skin twitching in paralysed dog

Post by critters »

Hmm. Gabapentin is what I would've suggested trying. Maybe he needs to take more of it? That kind of thing can be indicative that he's feeling "creepy crawlies" or the like, related to his spinal cord injury.