My Sweet Girl's Car Accident

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Mirandadb

Re: My Sweet Girl's Car Accident

Post by Mirandadb »

Thank you guys for your help! I went and got her some baby food and stuff Tuesday. She ate half the thing of baby food (by syringe) & seemed to really enjoy it. She has started drinking out of the bowl again for herself. Yesterday I decided to take her to the vet & let her have a check up. He said the seizures could possibly hypoglycemia related, but we can't know for sure unless we catch her while she's having one. So I'm hoping/ praying for no more seizures! She was slightly dehydrated, so he gave her fluids & even showed me how to do it. I'm hoping it won't come down to it for me to have to poke her, but we will see. He also prescribed her an appetite stimulant that is also an antidepressant, so I hope it really helps her. We gave her the other half of the baby food last night (they come in bigger sizes than jars now, it's weird), but she also ate a slice of cheese and a few bites of chicken! I really hope that her appetite comes back, because that's the only way she will be able to get better. He also got me a tube of nutri-cal, I hope that helps her as well. This morning she has been tired, but I think her sleep schedule is off and I bet the steroids don't help with that. The vet wants us to ease her back off of the prednisone again, but I am nervous because last time we did that, she had the seizure a couple of days after that.. but I hope he's right & there are not any more seizures. She is peeing and pooping on her own now. Please join me in hoping & praying that all this works for her! :angel:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sounds hopeful!!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Wow! That is really good! Cheese and chicken and Nutrical are great ideas, too.

I have never heard of seizures from reducing prednisone, but there is a lot I have never heard of. I am not a vet, but I wonder if it was just a coincidence?

That certainly is handy if you can get baby food in larger servings. I don't think it's very high calorie, but she is getting nutrition from the cheese and chicken and Nutrical, so that's good news.

:trophy:
Mirandadb

Post by Mirandadb »

Yes, we are thinking it was just a coincidence. So far, so good. I think the prednisone was keeping her wired up, because she has been sleeping a little more since we lowered it. She is starting to sit up a little more, too. She is slowly eating better. I bought her a stroller so I can take her for walks, because she loves to be outside. lol I might be a little crazy. We are waiting to see how she is going to be with her back legs before I buy a wheelchair. I'm hoping she continues to make progress!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You're not crazy!
Bobbie got one for Merlin. Connie got one for Cricket. I bought a stroller for my dog, too.
These are just some of the pics I can find. Strollers are great!!! :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17581&p=91249&hilit=stroller#p91249
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17212&hilit=stroller
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18181&p=94387&hilit=stroller#p94387

People have also bought bicycle trailers for bigger dogs.
Mirandadb

Post by Mirandadb »

Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond.. I couldn't bring myself to it. During the night last Saturday night/ early Sunday morning (April 9th), Bella started breathing really funny and would not stop. We met the vet at the office after about an hour. We got her back there & he determined that it wasn't a bloat, but he thought she had pneumonia and needed an injectable antibiotic. While he went to get it, Bella started having another seizure. She calmed down after a few minutes and he decided to go ahead and give her the injection. We then realized that she calmed down because she stopped breathing. He tried, but there wasn't much that could be done at that point.. we lost our baby. Our hearts are still broken and I don't understand. We thought we were doing everything like we were supposed to and not moving her. She had good days Friday & Saturday, and then everything changed.. I miss my baby and I wish none of this would have ever happened. :cry:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Aw, I'm sorry for your loss. :cry: