How long after operation did your dog regain bladder control

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Mia80

How long after operation did your dog regain bladder control

Post by Mia80 »

My dog has just had spinal surgery in t12 and 13. Her spinal cord was actually fused to her spine. She wasn't completely paralyzed before operation only in right hind. My question is how long was it before your dog regained bladder control? They have popped in a catheter because she is very hard to express. She has dps abs I swear I saw her mover her leg but no bladder control. Just wondering how long everyone else's babies took
critters
Founding Member

Re: How long after operation did your dog regain bladder con

Post by critters »

:slant: I can't help you there, because none of my monsters have ever had that kind of surgery. You might look around this board as well as the incontinence one for some ideas.
CarolC

Re: How long after operation did your dog regain bladder con

Post by CarolC »

There is a lot of variation. Bladder control can return quickly, or it can take up to 6 months, or even beyond. There are examples on this board of cases where bladder control began to return later. If she is hard to express, you may want to ask the vet about a medication to relax the sphincter and make expressing easier. A dog with an injury closer to the tail tends to be easier to express, while a dog with an injury higher up the back will tend to be harder to express, at least at first. It isn't a case of poor technique or not knowing how to do it, it's just the situation you are dealing with. If you can get medication to relax her sphincter, it will take less pressure to express her and she won't need the catheter.