Doggie diapers for hind quarters disability?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Shanew29

Doggie diapers for hind quarters disability?

Post by Shanew29 »

Hi all, new to the forum here. My doxi mix Jenny just recently had corrective surgery for her IVDD. Unfortunately it has left her incontinent now that the catheter has been removed. She has complete lack of mobility in her hind legs, and likely will remain that way according to her GP. I would like to use canine diapers on occasion for her, but she tends to drag the diaper right off. I have tried a few brands with the same effect. Because she tends to drag her back end, the diaper comes right off. Does anybody have this same issue? Any tips you could provide? Thanks in advance. I am sad this is happening to my girl but I am trying my best to maintain a strong quality of life for her.
CarolC

Re: Doggie diapers for hind quarters disability?

Post by CarolC »

The easiest thing is to get a little chest harness for her and clip her diaper to it so it won't fall down or drag off. You can see the idea in this photo from Dogs to Go.
Liebchensgoingforawalk.jpg
See the little white suspender? There are a lot of things you can use to accomplish the same thing, depending on how long you need the suspender to be. I think the one in the photo may be one of those straps you use to hold the bed sheets tight, but I'm not sure. Could be an ironing board strap. I've even seen it done with a shoestring, just poke a hole in the waistband of the diaper.

Another good option is a drag bag. There are many brands of drag bags. Some even have a mesh panel for coolness.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-drag-bag

:banner:
Shanew29

Re: Doggie diapers for hind quarters disability?

Post by Shanew29 »

Thanks for the response, I actually have a drag bag on the way now. Hopefully that will take care of things for her.