The Canine Massage book

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
petertohen

The Canine Massage book

Post by petertohen »

First, Luka has been a little unsettled since we took her off the Previcox as in she is showing definite pain in her thoracic region. Nothing seems to hurt in the lumbar region so hopefully that part is holding the adjustments....
She went thru a 5 day washout from the Previcox. She was only on a half dose once a day. We put her on low dose aspirin yesterday. 81mg Today she was showing more pain so we decided that because it is such a low dose to try one in the morning with her breakfast and one at night after she eats her dinner. ( I have split her normal amounts in half for twice daily feedings and sometimes she eats it all and sometimes she only eats part of it but she is really not doing anything but resting so as long as she doesn't loose any weight I am not concerned if she isn't overly hungry for a meal or so. Before she hurt her back sometimes she only ate every other day. But then she was strictly raw fed and ate when she was hungry. Didn't lose weight or gain any.....was just not always hungry. Raw fed dogs do that sometimes) sorry, went a little off track there.

What I need to know is how powerful is Previcox as a painkiller? If it is as strong as I think it is then I am pretty glad we took her off it. She is really sleeping better at night. She doesn't get restless and try to move around so much. But maybe that is because she hurts some and just doesn't want to?

Ok, now for the massage book. It is wonderful! It is called
Canine Massage, A Complete Reference Manual by Jean-Pierre Hourdebaight, LMT. It has complete charts on all the nerves, muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons and tells what each does and how it works together to move the dog. It also goes into complete detail on how to massage, different massage moves, pressures, what each does, what not to do. It also covers healthy dogs, injured dogs, dogs who are being trained and how to do maintence massage to keep them from injuries.....
It tells about aqua massage...and on and on and on.....I have just done a small amount of reading as Luka and life have kept me busy but I will get into tomorrow and keep at it and reread it a few times I am sure. I heartily recommend it for anyone who is interested in home pt for the dogs.
Even if your dog is paralyzed it should help. It sure can't hurt.

Ok, where to get the deal on it. I found it on eBay in a eBay Store. You can copy and paste the name of the book and author into the search engine there and it should pop up. I paid $11 thru a buy it now and with shipping it came to about $18. Took a little over a week to get here cause of the Labor day holiday....this book sells for $40.....the people still had about 25 of them left when I got mine...I think the name of the store was Books Before you Know it.....
It was a very good deal at about 1/2 price. I wanted to check it out before I said anything about it. I think this could be a key to getting Luka back on her feet again and walking. So, I am going to study and learn. Cause that is the way I am.
http://www.doctordog.com/Handicapped-Pe ... 9-0-1.html
critters
Founding Member

Re: The Canine Massage book

Post by critters »

Previcox is an NSAID, but I don't have any idea how good it is. https://www.drugs.com/vet/previcox-chew ... blets.html

:stream: