Has anyone else had this happen?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
amaigoch

Has anyone else had this happen?

Post by amaigoch »

My 5 yo doxie was diagnosed with IVDD in feb 2016. He didn't lose his back legs then just pain. Rest and anti inflammatory meds did the trick. Now fast forward to aug 2017 and on the 10th I noticed the same symptoms from before. I got him to the vet, they gave him a BSR(?) shot and prednisone and 6 weeks crate rest, but he was still walking. The next day he was still walking, and really stiff. 3pm he was walking fine. 430pm one leg was out. I called the vet who recommended taking him to emergency. I left at 445. By the time I got to the vet both legs were out. They gave him a steroid shot, upped his dose of prednisone and gabapentin for pain. He still had deep pain. And showed me how to express his bladder.

A few days later he started gaining his legs back. Slowly over the course of a few days. He doesn't walk except to eliminate but when he does (on hard surface) he's back to about 80% very little falls and a lot of wobble. However his tail, bladder and bowel have no control whatsoever.

I don't know if this is weird, or if it'll just take more time? I just kind of assumed when(if) his legs got better he would also get his bladder and bowel control back. Anyone else have this happen?? Btw I know I should go to the vet but I can't until my next paycheck and they won't tell me anything over the phone.
CarolC

Re: Has anyone else had this happen?

Post by CarolC »

It is not unusual for one type of function, such as walking, to improve before other types of function, such as bladder control. On bladder control, my dog's physical therapist says you have to give it at least 3 months to see if control will return, 6 months to be sure. After 6 months, they say you probably have about what you're going to have, but there are exceptions to that, too. There have been dogs on this forum who recovered bladder control after 6 months, so any timeframe is only a general guideline and does not apply to every dog. It is very encouraging that he is walking a little! Remember that crate rest must be very, very strict, in the crate 24/7, only out to potty, so that disk can really heal. While you are doing crate rest and waiting to for bladder control to improve, I would suggest a male wrap, also called a belly band or a male doggie diaper, which is a wide band that fastens around the waist with velcro and you put an absorbent pad it in to catch any urine. They are great for keeping your dog clean and dry! You can get them at your local pet store, online, or even make your own.
:malewrap:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Has anyone else had this happen?

Post by critters »

:whale: My boys always got better in stages, and NOT all at the same time. Things also usually fluctuate almost minute-to-minute, so don't expect that if he can pee alone today that he'll surely pee alone tomorrow. It's usually a 2 steps forward, 1 step back kind of thing.