Canine neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
adoherty

Canine neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis

Post by adoherty »

Hi all, our wonderful 18 month old Labrador-cross Cosmo has recently been diagnosed with this horrible brain disease following an MRI scan which showed that part of his cerebellum had shrunk since birth. He's suffered from seizures for most of his life, and we were devastated to learn that this was the cause. In between seizures he's absolutely fine at the moment, but we know at some point he will start to lose mobility in his back legs, and may also go blind too. We're taking each day as it comes at the moment and will do everything we can to ensure he has a good quality of life for as long as possible. I'm planning ahead and have purchased a 'Walkin Wheels' rear wheel chair that we hope he will adapt to. I was wondering if anyone else on here had any experience of caring for a dog with this disease, or similar diseases such as cerebellar abiotrophy or cerebellar hypoplasia? Thanks for reading.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Canine neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis

Post by critters »

:whale: Yes, I know CH and the like very well. If you do Facebook, some people people with puppers have joined https://www.facebook.com/groups/CHKittyClub/ . I don't know if there are any pupper-specific groups anywhere.
adoherty

Re: Canine neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis

Post by adoherty »

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful. Plenty of members in that group too so I'm sure they'll have some good advice.